EV Island Issues

Max Power

6 hours ago, The Bastard said:

I think those look cool. No airbags and 30mph max would be fine for most local IOM driving. 

There is a very reasonable case, on safety grounds for not allowing EVs on ferries at all. I note the recent assurance given to one of Moorhouse’s recent questions but I would like to know what the prospect of actually extinguishing an EV fire is on our ferries. It’s likely that an EV fire on a packed ferry would create a situation where, as on car transportation ships, the fire would spread and likely have to burn out. The result of that would be the evacuation of the ferry and loss of the vessel. Not something that sits easy with me on my frequent trips away. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, joebean said:

There is a very reasonable case, on safety grounds for not allowing EVs on ferries at all. I note the recent assurance given to one of Moorhouse’s recent questions but I would like to know what the prospect of actually extinguishing an EV fire is on our ferries. It’s likely that an EV fire on a packed ferry would create a situation where, as on car transportation ships, the fire would spread and likely have to burn out. The result of that would be the evacuation of the ferry and loss of the vessel. Not something that sits easy with me on my frequent trips away. 

But loads of cars filled with flammable liquids sitting on the ferry are ok? Makes no sense. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cueey Lewis And The News said:

I think those look cool. No airbags and 30mph max would be fine for most local IOM driving. 

I was thinking of getting one for a laugh but it’s really only good to tootle around Douglas and a bit expensive for that. 

11 minutes ago, Amadeus said:

But loads of cars filled with flammable liquids sitting on the ferry are ok? Makes no sense. 

It’s the fact that EVs are very difficult to extinguish since lithium batteries create their own oxygen when ignited. The intensity of the heat will quickly ignite other vehicles. An EV is actually more likely to ignite standing still than a conventionally fuelled car. All this according to stuff I have read in the past. Read up for yourself if you think it makes no sense. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, joebean said:

It’s the fact that EVs are very difficult to extinguish since lithium batteries create their own oxygen when ignited. The intensity of the heat will quickly ignite other vehicles. An EV is actually more likely to ignite standing still than a conventionally fuelled car. All this according to stuff I have read in the past. Read up for yourself if you think it makes no sense. 

image.png.c183adb55c9fe7d4c78162f42e068eae.png

Source : https://theconversation.com/electric-vehicle-fires-are-very-rare-the-risk-for-petrol-and-diesel-vehicles-is-at-least-20-times-higher-213468#:~:text=Globally%2C EV FireSafe found about,0.1% risk of catching fire.

42 minutes ago, Amadeus said:

Of course, but once ignition has occurred which is the more easily extinguished?

The answers to Moorhouse's question were vague and lacking in detail.

What's the melting point of aluminium? 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, The Bastard said:

of course it is ,   if you have 10000 petrol cars and 10 EV's  ( fuck knows what the actual ratio is )  then you're already at 1000 times more chances with petrol.

8 minutes ago, quilp said:

Of course, but once ignition has occurred which is the more easily extinguished?

The answers to Moorhouse's question were vague and lacking in detail.

What's the melting point of aluminium? 

It's below the burning temperature of petrol, diesel and EV fires. 

Realistically, moving to a ban on the ferry would be curtains for the IOM if the wider world are pushing forward with EVs. You couldn't have a tourist economy if a substantial percentage of the future population are banned from travelling here. It would be (yet) another reason not to visit the IOM, as if the 1950's-style attractions and huge travel costs wasn't enough.

It's all about equipment and strategy - as you'd expect, EV fires on ferries have been studied and the recommendations are about methods and equipment. This article has some useful info https://cfpa-e.eu/new-knowledge-about-battery-fires-in-electric-cars-on-ferries/

On the aluminium issue :

image.thumb.png.8868982d8ab6e041c7ce1e05bc01b9dc.png

image.thumb.png.467275006db5da2950f0c88ffcce1954.png

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, WTF said:

of course it is ,   if you have 10000 petrol cars and 10 EV's  ( fuck knows what the actual ratio is )  then you're already at 1000 times more chances with petrol.

Nope, that's not how maths works. Percentages don't change as the numbers go up. The total number of fires would go up as the number of vehicles grows, but the percentage of fires remains unchanged. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Amadeus said:

I was thinking of getting one for a laugh but it’s really only good to tootle around Douglas and a bit expensive for that. 

That or a Twizzy would do me fine.