EV Island Issues

Max Power

16 minutes ago, littlebushy said:

Genuine question...could that not be done with a petrol/diesel vehicle?

Maybe, would have to be a very modern one though. 

Teslas however are specifically software driven and have updates etc communicating with them all the time. 

1 hour ago, Max Power said:

It has, manufacturers are screaming at governments that they have invested heavily in EV technology on the whim of politicians, and it's all going wrong! I think we'll eventually be forced into them by fuel and road tax pricing! 

The latest thinking is that EVs can be programmed in future to keep them operating in certain areas only. This will seriously impede our ability to travel wherever we like!

Well electricity is going up in price as is EV road tax as they are heavier and therefore worse for roads, hopefully everyone who has a car will pay same road tax eventually.

2 hours ago, The Phantom said:

I've actually been waiting to see something along the lines of this.  Police chasing a Telsa - give Elon a buzz and ask him to shut it down remotely.  I'm sure it will be doable. 

a tesla will probably stop by itself at some point anyway

• Haha 1

On 12/7/2023 at 10:55 AM, Max Power said:

The latest thinking is that EVs can be programmed in future to keep them operating in certain areas only. This will seriously impede our ability to travel wherever we like!

ICE cars can have all the same technology added. BMW make you pay a monthly subscription to turn the heated seats on. And there was a murderer in Wales last year who was caught, despite using his partner’s car to commit the murder and then torching it, because the car phoned home for diagnostics and Land Rover had all the data of where he’d been.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Ringy Rose said:

ICE cars can have all the same technology added. BMW make you pay a monthly subscription to turn the heated seats on. And there was a murderer in Wales last year who was caught, despite using his partner’s car to commit the murder and then torching it, because the car phoned home for diagnostics and Land Rover had all the data of where he’d been.

Yes indeed, all very clever, a lot of manufacturers are adopting this, even motorcycles are getting into it. I remember thinking in the 80s when working for Jag that remote diagnostics could be done by plugging the car into a phone line, it all sounded so futuristic then! 

As I see it, personal transport is in danger, and with it the freedom to travel due to the rush to get rid of ICE cars before a viable alternatives have been identified or reached the production stage. No doubt, cars with electricity storage batteries will be an option for some but not the masses, or for freight, farming and industry. The technologies that we will rely upon are not apparent yet. Net zero as a target is slipping as reality slips in with it. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

The reality is that it has taken 150 years of evolution to get from the first cars to our current position. Huge factories, enormous amounts of infrastructure in garages etc, whole industries built up to support this development . Five generations have loved the freedom of car ownership and aspired to owning the car of their choice. Racing, rallying freedom of movement and mobility for all. 

Suddenly a few "academics" have decided that what has taken a 150 years to develop is all wrong and must be changed within a miniscule time span. Suddenly 150 years of evolution is being binned. 

People like their cars and and the way it benefits their lives. It is no wonder that there is resistance to such dramatic changes to vehicles that are so much more expensive and inconvenient. That have range issues and long term may produce even greater environmental issues than currently exist. I don't think that the majority of people believe that these changes will be half as beneficial as a few "experts" tell us. 

No doubt these changes will be forced on everybody by a few. 

Personally I believe that electric vehicles for every situation will bring even bigger problems. Hybrid vehicles would seem to be a much more realistic and acceptable option. 

• Like 2

I agree except for the hybrid bit. why have two engines? one ICE and one electric motor.

the power losses when power is transferred are conveniently forgotten.

I've just finished a book called, 'The Dark Cloud'. Very scary, very well researched and very to the point, just how much the digital world is costing the environment.

• Like 2

On 12/9/2023 at 12:13 PM, Max Power said:

Yes indeed, all very clever, a lot of manufacturers are adopting this, even motorcycles are getting into it. I remember thinking in the 80s when working for Jag that remote diagnostics could be done by plugging the car into a phone line, it all sounded so futuristic then! 

Luckily many motorcycle manufacturers also have the sense to make models without any of this nonsense on them . It is still possible to buy a bike without riding modes and on board diagnostics pretty much limited to the fuel injection system, although ABS is required by euro standards.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, emesde said:

Suddenly a few "academics" have decided that what has taken a 150 years to develop is all wrong and must be changed within a miniscule time span. Suddenly 150 years of evolution is being binned.

Electric propulsion is just part of that evolution. The technology isn’t quite there in terms of charging speed yet, but when EV charging points match the convenience of a petrol station then 99% of people won’t care what fuels their car.

You can’t get a supercar now without some electric propulsion because the electric propulsion gives torque you’ll simply never get from an ICE alone. The thermal efficiency of F1 engines now, with the regenerative braking and the use of waste heat, is amazing. You can get more power from a 1.6 F1 engine now than you did when it was a 3.5 V10.

Edited by Ringy Rose

On 12/10/2023 at 12:46 PM, doc.fixit said:

I agree except for the hybrid bit. why have two engines? one ICE and one electric motor.

the power losses when power is transferred are conveniently forgotten.

I've just finished a book called, 'The Dark Cloud'. Very scary, very well researched and very to the point, just how much the digital world is costing the environment.

The upside to hybrids is you're striking a balance.

The idea being that, when you run the engine, you're running it at peak efficiency, and siphoning off energy into the battery.

In an ICE car, you're constantly varying the engine load and thus, the efficiency. Hybrids split that process up, so the engine can be kept in the 'sweet spot'.

Even with charging losses, you can, and do, end up with a net positive in what you're saving. A small battery can be charged quickly, and isn't heavy.

Toyota invented their hybrid system as a way into the American market, as the Americans didn't want diesels, but having the better fuel economy of a diesel was still appealing.

On their own, their atkinson cycle engines would be a bit crap to drive. But, they're much more efficient. The electric motor is there to pick up the slack.

Now, you even get engines that can swap between the cycles for a similar effect in ICE cars.

On the other hand, the plug-in ones are a bit of a mixed bag, as you're always lugging around bigger batteries. So you get the worst of both worlds.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 12/10/2023 at 9:00 AM, emesde said:

The reality is that it has taken 150 years of evolution to get from the first cars to our current position. Huge factories, enormous amounts of infrastructure in garages etc, whole industries built up to support this development . Five generations have loved the freedom of car ownership and aspired to owning the car of their choice. Racing, rallying freedom of movement and mobility for all. 

People like their cars and and the way it benefits their lives. It is no wonder that there is resistance to such dramatic changes to vehicles that are so much more expensive and inconvenient. That have range issues and long term may produce even greater environmental issues than currently exist. I don't think that the majority of people believe that these changes will be half as beneficial as a few "experts" tell us. 

No doubt these changes will be forced on everybody by a few. 

Personally I believe that electric vehicles for every situation will bring even bigger problems. Hybrid vehicles would seem to be a much more realistic and acceptable option. 

Didn't they say the same thing about the motorcar?

Some argued that they were noisy, dangerous and antisocial, and that they'd never replace the horse.

The Farmers Against Automobiles Association proposed that a driver at night send up rockets and Roman candles, and, if they come across horses, to cover the vehicle so it was camouflaged.

Electric cars existed too, but, the battery technology couldn't compare to a gallon of petrol. For some, petrol was seen as a downside.

52 minutes ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

The Farmers Against Automobiles Association proposed that a driver at night send up rockets and Roman candles, and, if they come across horses, to cover the vehicle so it was camouflaged.

Sounds like it was a local association? 

• Haha 1