EV Island Issues

Max Power

3 hours ago, quilp said:

The insurance on my hybrid (1.6L, 2017/18, 20k mileage) was £186 fully comp for both of us. Surprised that this is £40 less per year than the 2010 Fiesta 1.6 zetec S we had previously.

Charlton and Hodgson.

If that is your only vehicle, wouldn’t it be better on the bus or in taxis?

20k miles in six years? The battery will be dead before it even comes close to being of any environmental benefit?

Unless you mean 20k a year?

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

If that is your only vehicle, wouldn’t it be better on the bus or in taxis?

20k miles in six years? The battery will be dead before it even comes close to being of any environmental benefit?

Unless you mean 20k a year?

As expected, the usual shithead bollocks from an insufferable fucking prick. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CrazyDave said:

f that is your only vehicle, wouldn’t it be better on the bus or in taxis

No, because the car gives him freedom of movement at the times that it suits him!

I have a bus pass but I couldn't rely on it to get to BnQ when I want to? Nor to fit the 2x4s into the Cab!!!

I'm sympathising with you Dave but you have to be more reasonable???

5 hours ago, quilp said:

As expected, the usual shithead bollocks from an insufferable fucking prick. 

It’s not bollocks though.

There is absolutely no justification for a hybrid on either financial or environmental grounds if a vehicle does 20k miles in six years.

None, and I would be absolutely astounded if anyone can come up with one.

The battery will be toast and need disposing of before it even comes close to offsetting the environmental impact of its production and disposal.

Whats bollocks about that?  To an outsider it just reads like someone wanting to be seen to be doing the right thing with no understanding.  20k miles a year then maybe a hybrid makes sense.  3-4K  not a chance.

Ps -/ any need for the personal abuse?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CrazyDave said:

It’s not bollocks though.

There is absolutely no justification for a hybrid on either financial or environmental grounds if a vehicle does 20k miles in six years.

None, and I would be absolutely astounded if anyone can come up with one.

The battery will be toast and need disposing of before it even comes close to offsetting the environmental impact of its production and disposal.

Whats bollocks about that?  To an outsider it just reads like someone wanting to be seen to be doing the right thing with no understanding.  20k miles a year then maybe a hybrid makes sense.  3-4K  not a chance.

Ps -/ any need for the personal abuse?

Batteries aren’t disposed. They’re recycled. Nobody just throws valuable materials like that away. And what is Mr Automotive Engineer here placing his assessment regarding the viability of hybrids on? 

8 hours ago, Kopek said:

No, because the car gives him freedom of movement at the times that it suits him!

I have a bus pass but I couldn't rely on it to get to BnQ when I want to? Nor to fit the 2x4s into the Cab!!!

I'm sympathising with you Dave but you have to be more reasonable???

Perhaps we should look at building a complex for you lot just next to the hospital, put a b&q next door and a shop selling canned peas, uht milk and vodka, be like a 5 minute city.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Amadeus said:

Batteries aren’t disposed. They’re recycled. Nobody just throws valuable materials like that away. And what is Mr Automotive Engineer here placing his assessment regarding the viability of hybrids on? 

Are you suggesting a hybrid is a good choice for doing 3 thousand miles a year over a small petrol engine?

Don't be silly.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, HiVibes said:

Perhaps we should look at building a complex for you lot just next to the hospital, put a b&q next door and a shop selling canned peas, uht milk and vodka, be like a 5 minute city.

But then Lawrie would ban any traffic from going there because .....reasons.

I don't think EVs are a good choice yet. Aside from the costs (monetary and environmental) of lithium battery production and recycling/disposal, electricity production is not exactly green in itself. 

A clean, modern, efficient petrol engine is my preference. It can certainly be as green as a hybrid, depending on how you drive it. Top Gear proved that years ago with a Prius vs an M3. 

Dave has a point, although perhaps could be less on the offensive when making it. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, wrighty said:

I don't think EVs are a good choice yet. Aside from the costs (monetary and environmental) of lithium battery production and recycling/disposal, electricity production is not exactly green in itself. 
A clean, modern, efficient petrol engine is my preference. It can certainly be as green as a hybrid, depending on how you drive it. Top Gear proved that years ago with a Prius vs an M3. 
Dave has a point, although perhaps could be less on the offensive when making it. 

It's your preference, but IMHO petrol engines are in no sense clean, green, modern or efficient though. They generate crude, carcinogenic pollutants (like Benzene) in the street, rather than at the source of generation, where large-scale filtration can take place.

It's easy to use the argument that EVs generate pollution from generation, but you shouldn't forget that the petrol that the "clean, modern, efficient" engines use has been tanker-schlepped half-way across the planet from questionable regimes, processed several times at energy-intensive refineries, with all the associated by-products and unwanted pollutants that are churned out on the way. Petrol Vehicles don't just disappear in a puff of unicorn dust at the end of their lifetimes. 

The money funnelled into those questionable regimes leads to conflict and human rights abuses on a massive scale, and effectively puts the IOM at the mercy of international conflicts - watch the price of petrol over the next few weeks. 

EVs at least can use green energy from local sources, which petrol vehicles will never be able to do, though hydrogen vehicles can. The "green" piece has environmental benefits, but the "local" piece means we're not as vulnerable to international conflict and price-gouging, so the choice to use an EV doesn't have to be made on purely environmental grounds. In the event of serious international conflict, EVs may actually be the only vehicles on the road, along with a load of disgruntled ex-drivers on bicycles.

You're right, EVs are still a developing technology, much like ICEs have been since their inception, and that's a major obstacle at the moment. The Model T wasn't a perfect vehicle, but enlightened people of the time recognised its potential, whilst the luddites of the time posted pre-memes showing Model T's being towed by horses. There's still a lot of development to be done, battery technology is the least mature aspect, but the potential and benefits are obvious.

• Like 1