EV Island Issues

Max Power

1 hour ago, The Phantom said:

Yeah I know that. It's unlikely an undamaged battery would ever go up

That's really interesting. From what I can see the chances of an EV with an undamaged battery going up in flames is one vehicle in every 38 000. Much less likely than an undamaged petrol car going up in flames.  However, there's nothing I can find about how much the chances increase if the battery is damaged, especially by being pierced. Except all the usual sources say it will go up. A lot. There's a lot about how horrendous an EV battery fire is. It can't be extinguished or even suppressed. It feeds itself and emits extraordinary levels of pollutants. Even if you could somehow get hold of it whilst it burned and throw it over the side it wouldn't go out as it sank. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Zarley said:

Yes, I'm sure all the marine life will be ecstatic to receive yet more deadly, toxic castoffs from the humans.

.....but it doesn't matter, it was a 'green' vehicle so the planet is saved.  It can join the unrecyclable windmill blades buried in landfill.

Anyone who hasn't woken up to the fact that 'green' is the current con of the century is brain-dead.

We all want a clean environment and less pollution - but mass production of energy and resource intensive EVs and a wholly inadequate power infrastructure is lunacy.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Bombay Bad Boy said:

Airlines shit themselves about a single laptop battery, how is this different?

It's not. A huge car battery going into a runaway fire state is far more dangerous and it will become an area of deep concern as EVs increase with a commensurate increase in battery fires (albeit with less profusion for the time being).

..................and ferries sink!

Edited by Utah 01
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Utah 01 said:

It's not. A huge car battery going into a runaway fire state is far more dangerous and it will become an area of deep concern as EVs increase with a commensurate increase in battery fires (albeit with less profusion for the time being).

..................and ferries sink!

Well no, it is different.

Airlines make a fuss about batteries that are failing in the cabin, because people are in there breathing and existing. The fumes from a lithium fire are unpleasant, and so is being on fire.

You can put laptops in checked baggage, where nobody will see if they overheat or catch fire, and there is no fuss made over this.

48 minutes ago, HeliX said:

You can put laptops in checked baggage, where nobody will see if they overheat or catch fire, and there is no fuss made over this.

Lithium batteries are not permitted in checked luggage because of the fire dangers. Lithium batteries must be in cabin baggage so people can see if they overheat and do something about it.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Ringy Rose said:

Lithium batteries are not permitted in checked luggage because of the fire dangers. Lithium batteries must be in cabin baggage so people can see if they overheat and do something about it.

Gov.uk:
4bOjGKr.png

easyjet (left column is hand, right is hold)

opl1Pkh.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Utah 01 said:

It's not. A huge car battery going into a runaway fire state is far more dangerous

This got me thinking so I asked a mate who is a local on call fire fighter. When an EV battery is pierced, short circuits and goes up in flames their current strategy is to clear the area and let it burn out. To try and control it, but not extinguish it, would take three or four fire tenders and they would need to pour 1200l of water on it a minute. They would need to do this for between eight to twelve hours. They don't because of the volume of highly polluted waste water that would be created and have to be treated. These fires release huge volumes of hydrogen cyanide so its full gas gear even to clear inflammable material from the area. Even when its out it's prone to bursting back into flames for weeks afterwards. Ask a firefighter, they hate these things.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, Expat. said:

This got me thinking so I asked a mate who is a local on call fire fighter. When an EV battery is pierced, short circuits and goes up in flames their current strategy is to clear the area and let it burn out. To try and control it, but not extinguish it, would take three or four fire tenders and they would need to pour 1200l of water on it a minute. They would need to do this for between eight to twelve hours. They don't because of the volume of highly polluted waste water that would be created and have to be treated. These fires release huge volumes of hydrogen cyanide so its full gas gear even to clear inflammable material from the area. Even when its out it's prone to bursting back into flames for weeks afterwards. Ask a firefighter, they hate these things.

There probably needs to be an update in kit and processes if EVs become commonplace.

https://www.ctif.org/news/new-revolutionary-method-extinguishes-lithium-ion-ev-fires-ten-minutes-minimal-water

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, HeliX said:

There probably needs to be an update in kit and processes if EVs become commonplace.

https://www.ctif.org/news/new-revolutionary-method-extinguishes-lithium-ion-ev-fires-ten-minutes-minimal-water

Commonplace they will be everywhere after 2030 or maybe that was altered to 2035 but anyway no more fossil fuel new cars