EV Island Issues

Max Power

2 hours ago, Happier diner said:

Like I said. Not technology. Just capacity. The discussion was about home charging and the exploitation of tariffs. Nothing to do with commercial installations. You are taking my post out of context.

Wrong.  You responded to my post below

On 5/14/2024 at 8:11 PM, Anthony Ingham said:

Life expectancy and useful life are very different things in the world of EV charges.

None of the ones installed on island will still be useful in five years, even if they still work.

Which was in response to the article below.

On 5/14/2024 at 3:19 PM, Two-lane said:

19 minutes ago, Anthony Ingham said:

Wrong.  You responded to my post below

Which was in response to the article below.

You are cherry picking quotes and mixing them up. I cant be bothered with you. You are gunning for an argument and in the words of Monty Python "You have used up all your time"

I was quoting VOR and you know that. I am still right and you are wrong.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Happier diner said:

Do think there would be any complaints if there were no EV chargers on the island?

I doubt it. If there were no government charging points, If you are local and own an EV, you need to make provisions for it. If you are a tourist, you need to educate yourself, and not bring an EV, or stay in a hotel that provides charging points.
I resent my tax money being wasted on EV charging points. When there are such problems with the health service, why should we be wasting money and subsidizing idiocy like this? 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Happier diner said:

Like I said. Not technology. Just capacity. The discussion was about home charging and the exploitation of tariffs. Nothing to do with commercial installations. You are taking my post out of context.

Don't think there is any exploitation of tarrifs. Dual rate tarrifs are very common in the UK and even in many other countries .

As I mentioned before the comfy heating  tarrif ( you don't need an EV for that) is cheaper than the EV tarrif ..Many new builds are on this one ..

They actually want people to use the electricity during  off peak hours..

33 minutes ago, mad_manx said:

Don't think there is any exploitation of tarrifs. Dual rate tarrifs are very common in the UK and even in many other countries .

As I mentioned before the comfy heating  tarrif ( you don't need an EV for that) is cheaper than the EV tarrif ..Many new builds are on this one ..

Exploit is not necessarily a bad thing. Maybe I should have said enjoy the benefits of.....

9 hours ago, Happier diner said:

Because we are limited by the 2 relationships (as you probably well know)

V=IR (The voltage is the current * the resistance)

W=V*I (The KW is the voltage * the current)

Yes you can put bigger capacity chargers but that's nothing to do with technology, its just to do with capacity. You can't put big chargers in homes unless you massively increase the network size as the network is made for 440V.

Of course you could increase the KW charge rate by increasing the voltage at the house. But again that's a capacity thing and the technology already exists to do this. Its just expensive.

So the reality is that technology is not going to increase the charge rate. 

Oh dear, a little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing.

I really think if you know nothing, you should say nothing.

9 hours ago, Happier diner said:

Because we are limited by the 2 relationships (as you probably well know)

V=IR (The voltage is the current * the resistance)

W=V*I (The KW is the voltage * the current)

It really is difficult to know how to respond to such a fundamental lack of understanding as this.

EV chargers (certainly public ones) are a relatively new phenomenon - to research their history really wouldn't take you very long. I think you should do that and then consider how that fits in to the "logic" which you have used to "explain" why the exact opposite will happen from now on?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
53 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

Really? You reckon? Why then do they limit the incentives to the relatively small number of people who either own an EV or heat their house exclusively with electricity? 

I suspect it's due to lack of dual / smart meters in the Isle for Man .. In the UK many providers offer you the option of having off peak electricity ( don't need EV / solar/ electric heating  etc for this) You just need to be in the coverage area of a provider who offers this .

https://www.gocompare.com/gas-and-electricity/guide/peak-off-peak-energy-times/

https://www.nationalgrideso.com/industry-information/balancing-services/demand-flexibility-service-dfs

Edited by mad_manx

Posted (edited)
56 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

Are you really that naive? We're halfway through the third year of the rollout and you think it's because of a lack of smart meters?

I'm not sure if there is any other IOM specific limitation. I've mentioned above how it works in the UK. As far as I can see  the meter has to be able to take fairly regular readings. 

You are actually encouraged to use more off peak electricity in the UK with incentives  to suppliers who then pass on the cheaper prices to customers.. 

Have a look at the economy 7 tariff in Jersey for example..Anyone can take it

https://www.jec.co.uk/for-home/tariffs/economy-7/

Maybe something  that has to be explained by Manx utilities.

Edited by mad_manx

7 hours ago, mad_manx said:

I recently enquired about Comfy Tariff, and it worked out to cost in the area of £500 asan initial cost. I declined. If i am going to spend that amount, it will be on some form of renewable. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, A fool and his money..... said:

It really is difficult to know how to respond to such a fundamental lack of understanding as this.

EV chargers (certainly public ones) are a relatively new phenomenon - to research their history really wouldn't take you very long. I think you should do that and then consider how that fits in to the "logic" which you have used to "explain" why the exact opposite will happen from now on?

Well you might think you can change the laws of physics, but you can't. You are saying I have a lack of fundamental knowledge? Bloody hell man. Go back to school.