EV Island Issues

Max Power

1 minute ago, Cambon said:

EVs have peaked. Volkswagen have stopped expanding the EV division because they see this. EVs have only ever been a niche market. 

Whilst I agree in the current world state, eventually there will only be electric cars. They have peeked for now and dont really make sense to me, they will rise again.

2 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Whilst I agree in the current world state, eventually there will only be electric cars. They have peeked for now and dont really make sense to me, they will rise again.

There will never be a time when there are only electric cars as we know them now.  Not ever.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Anthony Ingham said:

There will never be a time when there are only electric cars as we know them now.  Not ever.

Probably not with current technology but it evolves rapidly with time..  We went from the first flight by the Wright brothers in 1903 to commercial airliners in around 30 years and then the 747 in another 30 odd  years. 

No one in 1903 would have imagined that a 747 will exist one day..

33 minutes ago, mad_manx said:

Probably not with current technology but it evolves rapidly with time..  We went from the first flight by the Wright brothers in 1903 to commercial airliners in around 30 years and then the 747 in another 30 odd  years. 

No one in 1903 would have imagined that a 747 will exist one day..

The limiting factor for total EVs are

1. The power is still generated by burning fossil fuels to a great extent.

2. The electricity network would not support it

3. They are expensive and heavy.

3 will improve with technology. 1 and 2 are serious challenges. 

34 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Bullshit. If you have no power you have nothing. The battery technology already exists. 

It's getting that power into the battery in the form of charge that's the bottleneck.

Yes battery technology already exists but it is constantly being improved. It's big business, there's a lot of money going into research the world over. Not just for EV's but for renewable energy storage etc. 

If you seriously think that this will lead to no advancement in the next five years then you are wrong- you only need to look at the last five years to see that.

I get that you have a GCSE in physics and you remember Ohm's law. Trust me when I tell you, there's a little more to it than that.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Happier diner said:

The limiting factor for total EVs are

1. The power is still generated by burning fossil fuels to a great extent.

2. The electricity network would not support it

3. They are expensive and heavy.

3 will improve with technology. 1 and 2 are serious challenges. 

Ev motor is way more efficient than an ICE engine.   Efficiency of a ICE engine is like 30 % or so  and that's the peak Efficiency after it has warmed up etc..  So will be way lower for short trips that we would do on the island..

Fossil fuel power plants will have a higher efficiency than an ICE engine which runs for short distances ..

Since EV's are over 70% efficient it's still efficient (even ifpower is  generated with fossil fuels )for short trips compared to fossil fuel vehichles( even  after accounting for transmission / charging  losses) .  

Over longer trips ICE engines will be better with current tech If fossil fuels are used for  power generation and that's used for the EV.

While I still love EV tech , I agree that it needs a lot of improvement to become mainstream. 

Edited by mad_manx

22 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

It's getting that power into the battery in the form of charge that's the bottleneck.

Yes battery technology already exists but it is constantly being improved. It's big business, there's a lot of money going into research the world over. Not just for EV's but for renewable energy storage etc. 

If you seriously think that this will lead to no advancement in the next five years then you are wrong- you only need to look at the last five years to see that.

I get that you have a GCSE in physics and you remember Ohm's law. Trust me when I tell you, there's a little more to it than that.

You are deluded. Without enough power you are goosed. GCSE or not. I can't believe you can't see it. Yes if course chargers and batteries will get better and better. I am not disagreeing with you in that. But they will never be able to make power. Power and it's limited availability will be an issue for some considerable time.

4 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

You are deluded. Without enough power you are goosed. GCSE or not. I can't believe you can't see it. Yes if course chargers and batteries will get better and better. I am not disagreeing with you in that. But they will never be able to make power. Power and it's limited availability will be an issue for some considerable time.

Actually, the main problem for EVs is the batteries. There is simply not enough lithium in the world. Many car manufacturers are looking towards hydrogen power now because they know EVs are dead in the water. 

• Like 1