EV Island Issues

Max Power

Posted (edited)
52 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

You are deluded. Without enough power you are goosed. GCSE or not. I can't believe you can't see it. Yes if course chargers and batteries will get better and better. I am not disagreeing with you in that. But they will never be able to make power. Power and it's limited availability will be an issue for some considerable time.

Enough power for what?  Are you at crossed purposes to everyone else again? Because you aren’t making any sense.

Edited by Anthony Ingham

6 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

You are deluded. Without enough power you are goosed. GCSE or not. I can't believe you can't see it. Yes if course chargers and batteries will get better and better. I am not disagreeing with you in that. But they will never be able to make power. Power and it's limited availability will be an issue for some considerable time.

Power is not necessarily limited to these public charging points. They could put whatever cable size they like to most of them. That's not what is going to see them obsolete in short order, it's battery and therefore charging technology that will do that.

Nobody has ever suggested that they will make power - why would they need a supply cable if they did? 

You really seem transfixed on having more power. Without the means to get it into the battery in the form of charge, power is meaningless.

As I have said before, battery charging is a lot more complicated than you think. A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing. You may have been better taking GCSE chemistry instead of physics, at least then you wouldn't have been relying on Ohm's law to explain a chemical reaction.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
51 minutes ago, Cambon said:

Actually, the main problem for EVs is the batteries. There is simply not enough lithium in the world. Many car manufacturers are looking towards hydrogen power now because they know EVs are dead in the water. 

Hydrogen cars will still need an electric traction  motor and also battery storage for extra power ( for accleleration etc ) . 

So for practcal purposes its still an EV with  the power plant for generating the electricity built in .

Edited by mad_manx

1 hour ago, Anthony Ingham said:

Enough power for what?  Are you at crossed purposes to everyone else again? Because you aren’t making any sense.

Enough power to serve lots of fast chargers. The power available is not unlimited. Pretty much anywhere. 

30 minutes ago, mad_manx said:

Hydrogen cars will still need an electric traction  motor and also battery storage for extra power ( for accleleration etc ) . 

So for practcal purposes its still an EV with  the power plant for generating the electricity built in .

And ask him where the hydrogen is going to come from? 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Enough power to serve lots of fast chargers. The power available is not unlimited. Pretty much anywhere. 

You are then, as I expected having your own conversation while everyone else is discussing something else.

Just now, Anthony Ingham said:

You are then, as I expected having your own conversation while everyone else is discussing something else.

Errr. I must have learned from you. I am having a debate with foolandhismomey. If you don't like it. Fuck off. 

1 minute ago, Happier diner said:

Errr. I must have learned from you. I am having a debate with foolandhismomey. If you don't like it. Fuck off. 

But the conversation is about if chargers will effectively be old tech and onset before they physically stop working.

You are the one who keeps dragging it off on a tangent and completely missing the point being made 🤷‍♂️

1 minute ago, Anthony Ingham said:

But the conversation is about if chargers will effectively be old tech and onset before they physically stop working.

You are the one who keeps dragging it off on a tangent and completely missing the point being made 🤷‍♂️

You are talking about your conversation though. Not mine. Threads can drift. Get used to it and stop whining at me. I am not breaking any rules. 

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Happier diner said:

You are lying. It's an old and tired joke. The EV can only stay the same time as any disc parking. You are talking nob rot. You even admit it yourself. 

speaking of nob rot , did the cream work ?  😁

Edited by WTF

23 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

And ask him where the hydrogen is going to come from? 

Additional factor is transportation on the ferry . When you have people who are already so paranoid about EV vehicles on the steam packet , I think they will be more paranoid about  a "hindenberg" car on the ferry.  😜

I think Amadeus here managed to get one over for a show maybe 2 years ago but it needed a lot of paperwork etc.. 

16 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

Where do you see the limit being? Generation? Distribution?

Distribution. Definitely.

Eventually generation but only if distribution was sorted. And it won't be. Too expensive. 

1 minute ago, Happier diner said:

Distribution. Definitely.

Eventually generation but only if distribution was sorted. And it won't be. Too expensive. 

I assume you don’t see any possibility then of chargers becoming more efficient, software becoming more smart, the battery tech evolving, tyre tech evolving, drag coefficient improving, electric motors becoming more efficient etc, so that the same amount of “power” which you seem certain is the limiting factor, can allow many more miles to be driven?