EV Island Issues

Max Power

14 minutes ago, alpha-acid said:

Commonplace they will be everywhere after 2030 or maybe that was altered to 2035 but anyway no more fossil fuel new cars

How many "new" cars are there on the road anyway? As in cars with a first reg of 2023, right now? Very few. No new ICE cars won't drastically change how many EVs there are, it'll take another 10-15 years after that before any significant move. By which time there will (hopefully) be an alternative tech anyway.

• Like 2

On 9/20/2023 at 12:52 PM, Max Power said:

Just a rumour at present but following the Porsche Taycan incident at the 33rd, a well known island insurance company has been forced to reconsider how it insurers EVs on the island.

From what I remember looking at posts on here. The car apparently never went on fire and it was all a big fuss about nothing. Are you saying that now they have a big issue trying to dispose of a car that it did actually go on fire despite claims that it didn’t? 

Edited by Cueey Lewis And The News

2 hours ago, Cueey Lewis And The News said:

From what I remember looking at posts on here. The car apparently never went on fire and it was all a big fuss about nothing. Are you saying that now they have a big issue trying to dispose of a car that it did actually go on fire despite claims that it didn’t? 

No, it didn't go on fire but it apparently can not be shipped away to be broken up for salvage.

11 hours ago, HeliX said:

How many "new" cars are there on the road anyway? As in cars with a first reg of 2023, right now? Very few. No new ICE cars won't drastically change how many EVs there are, it'll take another 10-15 years after that before any significant move. By which time there will (hopefully) be an alternative tech anyway.

Unless IOM offers subsidies like Jersey for EVs , the take up will probably continue to be low as they’re a lot more expensive 

3 hours ago, Banker said:

Unless IOM offers subsidies like Jersey for EVs , the take up will probably continue to be low as they’re a lot more expensive 

When the uk introduced subsidies on evs, the price of evs went up accordingly. Same will happen in Jersey. 
The problem with evs at the moment is that the market is becoming saturated. This has happened around five years earlier than expected due to the cost of living issues. The people who want them have bought them. Those who are undecided are still undecided. Most cannot afford them. Cheap Chinese evs are still selling. VW has paused production, others will follow suit. I think this is part of the reason uk has kicked the can down the road by five years. 

• Like 3

On 9/20/2023 at 5:09 PM, Two-lane said:

There must be quite a few vehicles on the island - let's say 40,000. Let's also say that at some time or other everyone will have an electric car.

Everyone gets home for tea at the same time and plugs their car into the charger.

40000 * 20(amps) * 240(volts) = 192 MegaWatts additional load. Can the cables under the streets take the strain?

[A little while ago Youtube sent me a video (unfortunately I can no longer find it) - someone in England installed an EV charger. Then the council came around and tested the wiring from his garage to the road, and found it was not up to the task, so his driveway had to be dug up to install higher capacity cables. His house did not look particularly old, either.]

There are thousands of petrol cars on the island but we don't all go and fill them up at the same time

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Moghrey Mie said:

There are thousands of petrol cars on the island but we don't all go and fill them up at the same time

Because we don't need to. It takes, what, a minute or two to fill a petrol vehicle. An EV can be on charge for hours and MU encourage that to be at the same time with their off peak tariff.

The trouble is as far as I can see that washing machines and dishwashers all come with start timers built in these days, so we're all subsidising people who are rich enough to own an EV with cheap electricity to wash their undercrackers and bone china.

All this despite the fact that a vast majority of our electricity is generated by burning fossil fuels and the rather dubious environmental advantage that EV's (certainly new ones)offer in any case.

As subsidies to encourage us to go greener go, the subsidised road tax and electricity supply for owners of electric vehicles has to be as ineffective as you could possibly imagine. We all have a carbon footprint, but a tiny minority of us have the means to buy an EV, a tiny (generally very well heeled) minority who are enjoying a very substantial subsidy.

If government were serious about tackling climate change, then these environmental incentives should be achievable to anyone. We all have a carbon footprint which could be reduced, relatively cheaply.

Spending hundreds of thousands on private companies to survey houses for a grant to lag your loft is simply not good enough. Nor is the half hearted and short lived subsidy on bus fares for some passengers.

We're in a self-declared climate emergency. Desperate times call for desperate measures.

13 hours ago, A fool and his money..... said:

We're in a self-declared climate emergency. Desperate times call for desperate measures.

It appears to be self declared, in order to frighten the people into submission. If so, they certainly have scared a lot of people into accepting huge restrictions on freedom?  

All the Hoohah about Sunak putting back the ban on diesel and petrol cars is not preventing anyone from buying an EV if they really feel strongly about it. 

• Thanks 1

On 9/23/2023 at 10:42 AM, Max Power said:

All the Hoohah about Sunak putting back the ban on diesel and petrol cars is not preventing anyone from buying an EV if they really feel strongly about it. 

Screw them. I don’t know one person who bought an EV for any other reason that they fancied poncing round in a new EV that cost a ridiculous amount of money compared to the equivalent ICE car. They’re mostly status symbols. Nothing that Sunak has said or done is going to stop the sort of idiot who buys an EV from buying an EV as they are 100% purchased by people who have the cash to buy and who wouldn’t buy a petrol car as it has no “look at me I’m spending £15k more than I need to on a car as I’m saving the earth” kudos. 

Edited by Cueey Lewis And The News
  • Like 5