EV Island Issues

Max Power

8 minutes ago, Anthony Ingham said:

I assume you don’t see any possibility then of chargers becoming more efficient, software becoming more smart, the battery tech evolving, tyre tech evolving, drag coefficient improving, electric motors becoming more efficient etc, so that the same amount of “power” which you seem certain is the limiting factor, can allow many more miles to be driven?

1. Chargers are already highly efficient. At 100% efficiency they still have to use the amount of power that the car has consumed. That cannot change. Any gains will be marginal. 

2. Software could get smarter and phase charging across groups of vehicles and times and rates. This might help a bit. But 1. still applies 

3.Electric motors are already highly efficient. They have been efficient for decades. A good one will be 97% efficient and a bad one 95%.Marginal gains maybe

4. EVs could become more efficient. The biggest user of power is mass. If batteries get lighter then mass will get less. I wouldn't expect game changing gains though. A family car won't get below a tonne with all the safety clobber that they have to have these days. Some extra miles maybe.

The game changer would be lower prices and availability of charging points. More would be sold and then our under rated electricity infrastructure will bring it to a grinding halt.

9 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

Really? How much power are you wanting per charge point?

Well. Good question. A 50kw charger is a fast charger and a 350kw charger is the top rate. Neither could be fitted at a house. It's big numbers. If every car on  the IOM was EV had a 50kw charger and uprated power supply what are we talking?

3 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Well. Good question. A 50kw charger is a fast charger and a 350kw charger is the top rate. Neither could be fitted at a house. It's big numbers. If every car on  the IOM was EV had a 50kw charger and uprated power supply what are we talking?

I've no idea what you're talking, but I'm talking about public charging points and why they will be obsolete before they pay for themselves.

Why the hell would you need a 50kw charger at your house? You've got all night to charge your EV at a heavily subsided rate. It's the IoM FFS, how far are you going to go? You really are on another planet!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

I've no idea what you're talking, but I'm talking about public charging points and why they will be obsolete before they pay for themselves.

Why the hell would you need a 50kw charger at your house? You've got all night to charge your EV at a heavily subsided rate. It's the IoM FFS, how far are you going to go? You really are on another planet!

We were talking about fast chargers. 

We don't know if they were be obsolete or not do we. What makes you think they will be obsolete in 5 years? Sounds crazy. 

1 minute ago, Happier diner said:

We were talking about fast chargers. 

We don't know if they were be obsolete or not do we. What makes you think they will be obsolete in 5 years? Sounds crazy. 

This thread really is going round in circles because you seem to be having a different conversation to everyone else.

39 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

Because the ones fitted five years ago have all been upgraded 

and the ones taken out repurposed to elsewhere ?  you can only upgrade to the available supply , i would guess that some people were moaning they could only get 20% or whatever charged in the allotted time span so by adding extra capacity you can take more money and keep the amp tramps happy.

Being "green" involves replacing technological things as soon as there is something better - which is usually next week.

The un-greenness of manufacturing things and dumping then soon thereafter is ignored.

As as been mentioned elsewhere, the most environmentally friendly vehicle is a WW2 Jeep - but, no air con. in summer and no heater in winter.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, WTF said:

and the ones taken out repurposed to elsewhere ?  you can only upgrade to the available supply , i would guess that some people were moaning they could only get 20% or whatever charged in the allotted time span so by adding extra capacity you can take more money and keep the amp tramps happy.

You have managed to say in 1 post what I have failed to say in about 30..👍

2 hours ago, WTF said:

The old ones repurposed elsewhere? Where exactly?

They haven't added extra capacity in terms of amperage, just replaced the chargers.

1 minute ago, A fool and his money..... said:

The old ones repurposed elsewhere? Where exactly?

They haven't added extra capacity in terms of amperage, just replaced the chargers.

They took the 50kw one from sea terminal to PE shoprite.

50 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

You have managed to say in 1 post what I have failed to say in about 30..👍

I still have no idea what point you are trying to make.  Sorry