EV Island Issues

Max Power

Just now, Happier diner said:

The same point as @WTF

I get what he/she is saying, but it has no relevance to what you have been saying through the last few pages.

Never mind.  Indy 500 qualifying is on and they don’t don’t have to worry about such nonsense 

4 minutes ago, Anthony Ingham said:

I get what he/she is saying, but it has no relevance to what you have been saying through the last few pages.

Never mind.  Indy 500 qualifying is on and they don’t don’t have to worry about such nonsense 

I have absolved all responsibility to WTF to act as my agent. I'll leave you with your 7 day old coop bread and a futile ceremony of cars going round a track. Good night. 

5 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

I have absolved all responsibility to WTF to act as my agent. I'll leave you with your 7 day old coop bread and a futile ceremony of cars going round a track. Good night. 

The bread is from April iirc.

6 hours ago, Happier diner said:

The game changer would be lower prices and availability of charging points. More would be sold and then our under rated electricity infrastructure will bring it to a grinding halt.

You've perfectly encapsulated it yourself as to why the technology is ultimately impractical.

Hydrogen will be the way to go, or "something" that hasn't been uncovered yet.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

You've perfectly encapsulated it yourself as to why the technology is ultimately impractical.

Hydrogen will be the way to go, or "something" that hasn't been uncovered yet.

No one can tell me where the hydrogen is going to come from. 

58 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Looks good. How are they generating hydrogen though? Seems to focus on the car and how it uses the hydrogen. 

There are a number of ways already, and there are a lot of people much smarter than you and I doing a lot of work to make sure the tech evolves over the coming years to become more viable.

1 hour ago, Happier diner said:

Looks good. How are they generating hydrogen though? Seems to focus on the car and how it uses the hydrogen. 

I brought them over here a while ago out of interest. He said the IoM would be perfect to make their own hydrogen. Like they already do with small local facilities. Could even be solar powered. 

43 minutes ago, Anthony Ingham said:

There are a number of ways already, and there are a lot of people much smarter than you and I doing a lot of work to make sure the tech evolves over the coming years to become more viable.

There are indeed a number of ways. I have worked in the field. There is one empirical problem (back to the GCSEs). It takes more power to produce hydrogen that the power that is yielded by it's combustion. 

The main production is by the use of fossil fuels. It can also be produced by electrolysis. Electrolysis is about 15% efficient. 

38 minutes ago, Amadeus said:

I brought them over here a while ago out of interest. He said the IoM would be perfect to make their own hydrogen. Like they already do with small local facilities. Could even be solar powered. 

Did they say what made the isle of man any more perfect than anywhere else?

3 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

There are indeed a number of ways. I have worked in the field. There is one empirical problem (back to the GCSEs). It takes more power to produce hydrogen that the power that is yielded by it's combustion. 

The main production is by the use of fossil fuels. It can also be produced by electrolysis. Electrolysis is about 15% efficient. 

Like I said.  Lots of work being done to make the processes more efficient and viable for large scale use, and production hydrogen vehicles have been around for a number of years.

https://mag.toyota.co.uk/toyota-woven-city-hydrogen-power/

To just rule it out when so much development is being done and when technology move so quickly seems silly to me.

Personally I just can’t see the future being cars that need to be plugged into a power grid when there will undoubtedly be better options around.

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, A fool and his money..... said:

They haven't added extra capacity in terms of amperage, just replaced the chargers.

you need to differentiate between amperage and wattage to get your head round it.   ,  consider an EV charger to be an incandescent bulb of yesteryear,   if you had a 60 watt bulb and decided you needed more light you replaced the 60 watt bulb with a 100 watt bulb , the actual fuse on your lighting circuit would  be 5 amp , 6 amp with modern MCB / RCBO  type breakers.   it didn't matter whether it was a 60 watt or 100 watt bulb being powered because neither of them exceeded the 5 amp capacity of the fuse. a 5 amp fuse at 240 volts  can support a 1200 watt load ,  so you could get more light without increasing the available amperage to the circuit.    the EV charger situation will be similar , at the outset the power supply to them will have been rated for more amps and therefore more wattage than the actual load the initially installed chargers could draw leaving extra capacity on the supply, more than the actual charger was able to utilise .  now the charger has been replaced with a more powerful one in  terms of watts but it still does not exceed the available amperage from the supply . as batteries in vehicles have their capacity increased more powerful chargers will be required to provide X % of charge in a given time frame.

Edited by WTF

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Anthony Ingham said:

Like I said.  Lots of work being done to make the processes more efficient and viable for large scale use, and production hydrogen vehicles have been around for a number of years.

https://mag.toyota.co.uk/toyota-woven-city-hydrogen-power/

To just rule it out when so much development is being done and when technology move so quickly seems silly to me.

Personally I just can’t see the future being cars that need to be plugged into a power grid when there will undoubtedly be better options around.

When did I rule it out? I only said there were empirical factors that were set against it. Just like with chargers, these cannot be over come by technology. There is no perpetual energy. Technology cannot change physical laws of states of matter.

However, Hydrogen has a potential as a store of energy. If you can produce it when you have excess energy (for example if you have a very big wind farm) then that inefficiency can be allowed for. So, e.g. if you had a lot of wind power and from midnight to 7am and your production exceeded your demand you could use that otherwise wasted electricity to generate hydrogen which you can then store and use to peak lop or when it's not windy (or indeed fuel for cars).

This is what a lot of countries are researching and some are doing it

Il look for some references. 

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S2352152X23027056

Edited by Happier diner