EV Island Issues

Max Power

9 minutes ago, Cueey Lewis And The News said:

Screw them. I don’t know one person who bought an EV for any other reason that they fancied poncing round in a new EV that cost a ridiculous amount of money compared to the equivalent ICE car. They’re mostly status symbols. Nothing that Sunak has said or done is going to stop the sort of idiot who buys an EV from buying an EV as they are 100% luxury goods discretionary spend by people who have the cash to buy and who wouldn’t buy a petrol car as it has no “look at me I’m spending £15k more than I need to on a car as I’m saving the earth” kudos. 

So a Nissan Leaf is a status symbol now ? Righhhhhhht. 

• Haha 6

On 9/22/2023 at 9:26 PM, A fool and his money..... said:

The trouble is as far as I can see that washing machines and dishwashers all come with start timers built in these days, so we're all subsidising people who are rich enough to own an EV with cheap electricity to wash their undercrackers and bone china.

All this despite the fact that a vast majority of our electricity is generated by burning fossil fuels and the rather dubious environmental advantage that EV's (certainly new ones)offer in any case.

That’s the thing though, there’s a balancing point. 

Power plants have a sweet spot in terms of efficiency, and, low load at night likely isn’t it. That’s why things like Economy 7 came into existence. 

So, if you can save yourself the inefficiency of ramping up and down, it can work out cheaper. 

As for the fossil fuel question, most petrol cars don’t have lots of engineers maintaining them and watching for small drops in their efficiency. And they can’t be kept in that efficiency sweet spot. Most of the energy in the fuel goes out as heat, rather than motion.

1 minute ago, Kopek said:

poss. should they be tho?

vans with side windows would be similar? block them off, ok, sell on blocked, ok, remove the blocks ????

It’s a very good question, and arguably a loophole. But it also explains why they are popular  

https://www.parkers.co.uk/company-cars/2016/pick-ups-as-company-cars/

16 minutes ago, Kopek said:

Women are much more sensible and less egotistical than us men, would they think this is a sensible road vehicle???

I've yet to see a woman drive a 4door cab!!!

loads of the farmer / horsey brigade ladies drive 4 door cabs, often towing a trailer / horsebox , you need to get out more.

you only have to look at the 4door cabs and big pick ups government have recently purchased ,  why I don't know ? , as many never venture off road ,even the meter readers  at the MEA run around in monster Toyota's 

we have come on a bit since they ran Lada's , but money is no object , and I wonder how much the governments lost with depreciation on the electric vehicles they have purchased , it seems electric vehicles loose  far more of their second hand value  than any  Petrol or diesel vehicle , make you wonder who is doing the economics and looking after the taxpayer

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Omobono said:

we have come on a bit since they ran Lada's , but money is no object , and I wonder how much the governments lost with depreciation on the electric vehicles they have purchased , it seems electric vehicles loose  far more of their second hand value  than any  Petrol or diesel vehicle , make you wonder who is doing the economics and looking after the taxpayer

I regularly used an ex MEA Lada Niva back in the day. Agricultural but lasted forever after they sold it off. The post office will be the real test. They can totally wreck a van in 6 months. Add depreciation and lack of maintenance on top and their EVs will be worthless. 

Just now, Cueey Lewis And The News said:

I regularly used an ex MEA Lada Niva back in the day. Agricultural but lasted forever after they sold it off. The post office will be the real test. They can totally wreck a van in 6 months. Add depreciation and lack of maintenance on top and their EVs will be worthless. 

No clutches to mash, no synchromeshes or first and second gears to take a hammering, and no engines idling all day long. Lots of the braking will come from regen too, so less wear on the discs and pads.

If Amazon have figured out that building their own EVs saves them money in the long run, there must be a business case there.