Steam Packet considers shake-up of fleet

HelmutX

58 minutes ago, HelmutX said:

"The Manannan has served the Steam Packet since May 2009...." I quote a misrepresentation.... Manannan was, in fact, working very well May 2008......

facts are facts... can you believe anything you read? Especially from "a fucking moron"???!

I read that article as meaning there was no way the IOMSPCo would be able to replace the catamaran, whatever it is called, the fast craft, or keep it running economically, in the near future due to new environmental regulations which begs the question......

WHY HAVE YOU LOT SPENT £100 MILLION BUILDING A TERMINAL FOR IT?

see https://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/steam-packets-fast-craft-service-to-liverpool-facing-uncertain-future-639873 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

IOMG and the SPC want to sell the Manannan, it begs a question, if there are that many environmental concerns, why wasn’t it sold years ago, certainly from when the SpC was purchased by the taxpayers. Has there really been any forward planning, it really sounds like policy being made on the hoof. If the vessel is really that bad, to the point that IOMG want rid, who the hell is going to buy her? The can sell her to an EU country ferry outfit but the same environmental concerns will still affect her.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, 2112 said:

Has there really been any forward planning, it really sounds like policy being made on the hoof

As I said in the other thread, fast catamaran craft are going out of fashion because they drink diesel. Stena got shut of theirs a good few years ago. But conventional ferries can do 30 knots- Stena have several- so if Manannan’s eventual replacement is a conventional ferry it doesn’t mean Liverpool sailings will be much slower.

Manannan isn’t getting any younger, it’s 25 this year, but the US Navy looked after it so it’s been fine to press. But now is the time to start the succession planning.

“But conventional ferries can do 30 knots- Stena have several.”

indeed they do, but for years, they have been running them at ‘best economical speed.’  The so called Superfast ferries serving Cairnryan- Belfast tootle about at 17-19 kts.  Yes, they can do the guts of 30 kts, but they never do!

• Like 4

The fastcraft was a stipulation of the User Agreement wasn't it? Drawn up and imposed when the world was a different place, both financially and less environmentally-minded.

I doubt that the Steamie, under any ownership, would under its own volition, want to be saddled with the eye-watering fuel and maintenance costs of the fastcraft without being obliged to be.

As I read the article, the Mannanan is both aging and unable to meet likely future environmental regulations; the Steamie are reluctant to buy S/H for the same reasons and also reluctant to replace with new because of the pace that both technology and regulation are moving. A difficult position to be in.

2 hours ago, 2112 said:

IOMG and the SPC want to sell the Manannan, it begs a question, if there are that many environmental concerns, why wasn’t it sold years ago, certainly from when the SpC was purchased by the taxpayers. Has there really been any forward planning, it really sounds like policy being made on the hoof. If the vessel is really that bad, to the point that IOMG want rid, who the hell is going to buy her? The can sell her to an EU country ferry outfit but the same environmental concerns will still affect her.

plenty of buyers in the Middle East and Gulf ,  access to  lots of cheap fuel and not much thought or regulation  about environmental issues  

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Jetfour said:

indeed they do, but for years, they have been running them at ‘best economical speed.’  The so called Superfast ferries serving Cairnryan- Belfast tootle about at 17-19 kts.  Yes, they can do the guts of 30 kts, but they never do!

I didn’t realise they were running that slowly. But yes, fuel consumption is the big issue with ferries generally- the Manxman can do more than 20 knots it just doesn’t because of the fuel cost.

I’m not sure the fuel burn will be such an issue with the Liverpool crossing, as if it takes six hours it won’t be popular. I can see it taking 3.5 to 4 hours compared to the 3 hours it currently does.

45 minutes ago, Ringy Rose said:

I didn’t realise they were running that slowly. But yes, fuel consumption is the big issue with ferries generally- the Manxman can do more than 20 knots it just doesn’t because of the fuel cost.

I’m not sure the fuel burn will be such an issue with the Liverpool crossing, as if it takes six hours it won’t be popular. I can see it taking 3.5 to 4 hours compared to the 3 hours it currently does.

Don't forget there's a max speed limit once entering into the river. So probably 4 hours.