Douglas Cathedral

Amadeus

52 minutes ago, Cueey Lewis And The News said:

To be honest I too think it’s very disrespectful taking pictures inside a church at an official event and then banging them out on social media just for your own self publicity. It’s tactless and crass at best. 

Considering the church actually live streams all their services on social media I respectfully disagree. Also, this was more of a ceremony and one that only takes place, well, once I guess.  

On 10/2/2023 at 7:06 PM, Declan said:

Personally, I think they're both cities and Tynwald should just declare that they are. No need to look to London or Rome, we don't pay taxes to them.

Exactly this. Sadly our politicians find it easier just to toe the colonial line, rather than expend the effort required to update our constitutional arrangements to something even vaguely relevant in the 20th century, let alone the 21st.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Amadeus said:

Wow you dug a post out from eight years ago. Congratulations. 

16 hours ago, CrazyDave said:

It doesn’t show much respect though does it?

I am sure there are more recent ones if someone wants to look.

Looks like he's seen the half light.

One of our worthies commented that it's a great honour for the Island. Is it? Can't say I'm feeling it.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Albert Tatlock said:

I was on the same flight to Liverpool yesterday with the religious contingent.

It was an hour late leaving, which I put down to Easyjets' will...

...(or more often these days, won't).

When they claim against Easyjet and the rep points to the 'Act of God' clause in the terms...

giphy.gif

53 minutes ago, Kipper99 said:

That’s got to be the funniest thing posted on here all year.

VoR reasonable, or even able to reason or exhibit reason? ROTFLMAO

Has Crazy Dave been on here that long?

At least both he and I live up to our respective nom de plumes

Edited Friday at 09:48 PM by The Voice of Reason 
Addition of second paragraph just to provoke a reaction

It worked!

• Haha 2

On 11/3/2023 at 6:58 PM, 2112 said:

Well done for attending, at least you are civic minded, unlike some …………… some of our politicos come to mind, who don’t see attending services as part of the duties as an MHK. 

It's not. I don't expect my MHKs to pray, sing carols, attend civic services or religious events.

The state should not engage in, fund or promote religious activities or practices.

They can go as private individuals but MHKs do have a tendency to sit at the front and wish to be noticed.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Moghrey Mie said:

It's not. I don't expect my MHKs to pray, sing carols, attend civic services or religious events.

The state should not engage in, fund or promote religious activities or practices.

They can go as private individuals but MHKs do have a tendency to sit at the front and wish to be noticed.

Well religion plays a large part in many peoples lives. So maybe MHKs should pay that some attention be that in respect of Christian, Muslim, Buddhist or other faiths.

I have  no interest in farming but have no objection to MHK’s attending agricultural shows and presenting prizes to the prettiest pigs, sheep or whatever in their capacity as an MHK. 

Or give out prizes to primary school children on the occasion of sports day.

As a private individual I’d be happy to do that but I think by virtue of the prize giver being an elected politician it does give a bit more gravitas.

You say that you don’t expect your MHK to pray and attend civic services etc.

With Remembrance Sunday ( Armistice Day ) around the corner I would be disappointed if my MHKs didn’t pay their respects at the planned civil services in their official capacity to commemorate those who lost their lives to protect the freedoms we enjoy now.

Edited by The Voice of Reason
Added “in their official capacity “ in last para