Douglas Cathedral

Amadeus

18 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

What a pity you're not allowed access to the internet.  (Though actually I think page 13 - or 14 of pdf - was meant).

The Census showed a majority of those who answered the religion question described themselves as Christian - though not all would be CofE of course. 

And how does that translate into the Church of England assuming that they represent the majority of people as MM suggested?

54.7% were Christian. 43.8% had no religious belief.

Ergo, unless members of CoE make up more than 80% of Christians  they’re a minority with lower numbers than non believers.

Given the number of Catholics, Presbyterians, Methodists, Baptists and Evangelicals on Island it’s likely that Anglicans are around 65% of the Christian cohort. In other words fewer Anglicans than non believers/non Christians.

On that basis any claim that Anglicans are representative of any IoM demographic, other than the CofE, and deserve a seat in our national parliament as of right is clearly incorrect.

59 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

What a pity you're not allowed access to the internet.  (Though actually I think page 13 - or 14 of pdf - was meant).

The Census showed a majority of those who answered the religion question described themselves as Christian - though not all would be CofE of course. It was an optional question though, and if you took account of those who didn't answer (or who weren't answered for - eg small children) the percentage dropped below half.  But, as I pointed out when I analysed the figures, there loom to be processing errors in the figures, so they should be taken as Gospel.

I see what you did there.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Ergo, unless members of CoE make up more than 80% of Christians  they’re a minority with lower numbers than non believers.

Given the number of Catholics, Presbyterians, Methodists, Baptists and Evangelicals on Island it’s likely that Anglicans are around 65% of the Christian cohort. In other words fewer Anglicans than non believers/non Christians.

On that basis any claim that Anglicans are representative of any IoM demographic, other than the CofE, and deserve a seat in our national parliament as of right is clearly incorrect.

But the law says otherwise, as in establishment.

47 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Yes but MM says that the C of E should not assume that they represent the majority of people.
I’ve seen nothing from them that suggests that they are making such an assumption or claim.

Edited by The Voice of Reason
For clarity

5 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

Wouldn't necessarily disagree with you but it's going to take some untangling come the time.

Not really, it’s happened in Wales, and both parts of Ireland, and many of the original Commonwealth countries/dominions. And the state Lutheran churches in Sweden & Norway have both been disestablished in the last two decades.

• Like 1