Douglas Cathedral

Amadeus

3 minutes ago, 2112 said:

Well done for attending, at least you are civic minded, unlike some …………… some of our politicos come to mind, who don’t see attending services as part of the duties as an MHK. 

Its not.

It is primarily just people wanting to be seen to be doing “the right thing”

Its cringeworthy when people do it even if it’s against their beliefs and then use it as a PR opportunity 

2 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

Its not.

It is primarily just people wanting to be seen to be doing “the right thing”

Its cringeworthy when people do it even if it’s against their beliefs and then use it as a PR opportunity 

I disagree with @Amadeus at times, but at least he does have enthusiasm for his role as a councillor, and he does (at times) have the interests of Douglas at heart. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, 2112 said:

I disagree with @Amadeus at times, but at least he does have enthusiasm for his role as a councillor, and he does (at times) have the interests of Douglas at heart. 

Disagree.  The only thing he cares about is his own public profile.

Anyway.  If people think someone who posts like that about religion can rock up at a service and post photos that he clearly took himself during the service to try and gain some likes, and that it’s not an issue then crack on.

I can’t help thinking if some of the MHKs who get a rough time on here had done the same they would be slaughtered!!

David Ashford? Rob Callister? Laurie Hooper?  The people defending Amadues here would be all over them.

It’s most odd.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

Disagree.  The only thing he cares about is his own public profile.

Anyway.  If people think someone who posts like that about religion can rock up at a service and post photos that he clearly took himself during the service to try and gain some likes, and that it’s not an issue then crack on.

I can’t help thinking if some of the MHKs who get a rough time on here had done the same they would be slaughtered!!

David Ashford? Rob Callister? Laurie Hooper?  The people defending Amadues here would be all over them.

It’s most odd.

Didn't your alter ego get banned for your constant sniping at Amadeus?

3 hours ago, Amadeus said:

I’m agnostic, not atheist. Still open to someone convincing me it’s not all fairy tales. On this occasion and others like the civic service, it’s also part of the job and my duty to attend. Not all councillors think that way, I know. 

Just that I’m not an active member of the fanclub doesn’t mean I don’t respect it or others who find meaning in it. To see people so happy and excited about the cathedral today was great and why shouldn’t I share it? It’s actually rare to get community gatherings like this and I enjoy them. 

That’s a good post. 

Yes it doesn’t tie in with an  eight year old post from yourself . But to those who want to make a deal of it,  you know as you get older your opinions change or you may get more tolerant or less angry about certain things.

I know that’s true of myself

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CrazyDave said:

If someone searched on here for posts by Amadeus using the word religion the correct result would be a link straight to the dictionary definition of hypocrite.

Should someone so clearly non religious not have refused the invitation rather than use it as a photo opportunity?

No

I am what you might call “ non religious “ but still attend in church  weddings, christenings and funerals etc

I have even been to Old Trafford ( free ticket) but have no love for Man Utd

3 hours ago, Amadeus said:

I’m agnostic, not atheist. Still open to someone convincing me it’s not all fairy tales. On this occasion and others like the civic service, it’s also part of the job and my duty to attend. Not all councillors think that way, I know. 

Just that I’m not an active member of the fanclub doesn’t mean I don’t respect it or others who find meaning in it. To see people so happy and excited about the cathedral today was great and why shouldn’t I share it? It’s actually rare to get community gatherings like this and I enjoy them. 

I happen to like your pictures and the recent footage of Murrays car auction as been screened around the world , 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 2112 said:

Well done for attending, at least you are civic minded, unlike some …………… some of our politicos come to mind, who don’t see attending services as part of the duties as an MHK. 

half of them couldn't be arsed to enquire after a family following a  constituents passing or attend their funeral   you dont have to be religious  to do that  

13 minutes ago, slinkydevil said:

Damn. CrazyDave had that in his pocket for 8 years waiting for this moment. 

Fair play, that's crazy Dave.

Has Crazy Dave been on here that long?

At least both he and I live up to our respective nom de plumes

Edited by The Voice of Reason
Addition of second paragraph just to provoke a reaction

15 hours ago, 2112 said:

To be honest I too think it’s very disrespectful taking pictures inside a church at an official event and then banging them out on social media just for your own self publicity. It’s tactless and crass at best. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Cueey Lewis And The News said:

To be honest I too think it’s very disrespectful taking pictures inside a church at an official event and then banging them out on social media just for your own self publicity. It’s tactless and crass at best. 

It’s normally either IOMG who employ a photographer or the local newspaper. However, I don’t think the local newspaper comes up with any relevant news.