Douglas Cathedral

Amadeus

On 11/4/2023 at 10:55 AM, Amadeus said:

Considering the church actually live streams all their services on social media I respectfully disagree. Also, this was more of a ceremony and one that only takes place, well, once I guess.  

Just as long as you were using a camera and not your mobile phone 😉😆

Screenshot2023-11-07083207.png.5bf2d9d77d7c686aaa25a5f2577ef849.png

13 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Well religion plays a large part in many peoples lives. So maybe MHKs should pay that some attention be that in respect of Christian, Muslim, Buddhist or other faiths.

I have  no interest in farming but have no objection to MHK’s attending agricultural shows and presenting prizes to the prettiest pigs, sheep or whatever in their capacity as an MHK. 

Or give out prizes to primary school children on the occasion of sports day.

As a private individual I’d be happy to do that but I think by virtue of the prize giver being an elected politician it does give a bit more gravitas.

You say that you don’t expect your MHK to pray and attend civic services etc.

With Remembrance Sunday ( Armistice Day ) around the corner I would be disappointed if my MHKs didn’t pay their respects at the planned civil services in their official capacity to commemorate those who lost their lives to protect the freedoms we enjoy now.

I don't see it as the role of my MHKs to pray.

Armistice Day and the Cenotaph are secular. The Cenotaph was specifically designed with no human figures and no religious imagery.

3 hours ago, littlebushy said:

Just as long as you were using a camera and not your mobile phone 😉😆

Screenshot2023-11-07083207.png.5bf2d9d77d7c686aaa25a5f2577ef849.png

Well I did switch to flight mode. Unlike the lady behind us who not only had her phone ring but even answers the call. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, Moghrey Mie said:

It's not. I don't expect my MHKs to pray, sing carols, attend civic services or religious events.

The state should not engage in, fund or promote religious activities or practices.

They can go as private individuals but MHKs do have a tendency to sit at the front and wish to be noticed.

I don’t know why you’re getting so worked up about all this. 

If you think MHKs shouldn’t pray , sing carols or attend religious events as MHK’s think of it as being part of tradition rather than in any religious context. 

People like tradition and this sort of thing is harmless. 

I am not really religious myself but certainly don’t have a problem with this ( why would anyone?) It’s not like they are trying to push religion down your throat is it?

2 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

I don’t know why you’re getting so worked up about all this. 

If you think MHKs shouldn’t pray , sing carols or attend religious events as MHK’s think of it as being part of tradition rather than in any religious context. 

People like tradition and this sort of thing is harmless. 

I am not really religious myself but certainly don’t have a problem with this ( why would anyone?) It’s not like they are trying to push religion down your throat is it?

I'm not getting worked up at all.

I just don't think religion and politics should be mixed. 

And the Church of England should not assume that they represent the majority of people.

34 minutes ago, Mr Helmut Fromage said:

Is this a promotion to report into the Chief Nonce in Italy rather than the regional Nonces - many many many citations available 

What a complete waste of time, money, publicity and much more.

Begs the question how many wafers must you eat until you’ve consumed a whole Jesus?

You should know Bill !

1 minute ago, Banker said:

You should know Bill !

Your attempt at humour in this case is typically ill informed and crass - my reference to a global entity with many criminal convictions and hierarchy proven to be guilty of some of the most heinous crimes known, whilst being protected by the entity they work for under the cover of it being “divine” highlights and underlines your ignorance. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:
18 hours ago, Mr Helmut Fromage said:

Page 16 of the 2021 census might help you.

I must have mislaid my copy 

What a pity you're not allowed access to the internet.  (Though actually I think page 13 - or 14 of pdf - was meant).

The Census showed a majority of those who answered the religion question described themselves as Christian - though not all would be CofE of course. It was an optional question though, and if you took account of those who didn't answer (or who weren't answered for - eg small children) the percentage dropped below half.  But, as I pointed out when I analysed the figures, there loom to be processing errors in the figures, so they should be taken as Gospel.

• Haha 1