Report on Housing Association for public housing on the island

Moghrey Mie

29 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

IOMG have not understood what HA's are for and so whatever scheme(s) they draw up (as an arms-length project) will be doomed to failure.

The principal concern is they’re looking at the balance sheet and not the social system = typical modern policy

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/difficult-questions-to-answer-on-future-of-public-sector-housing/

Tynwald Order Paper

10. Housing (General Debate) Matter put down for General Debate by Mr Thomas (Proposer) and Mr Wannenburgh (Seconder) – Housing - Outcomes, Outputs, Actions, Resources and Partnerships.

I hope this means all housing and just social housing.

Edited by Moghrey Mie

• 1 month later...

Professor Dr David Ashford MHK MBE etc was on the NPM (MR) Moanin line yesterday dispensing IOMG pearls of wisdom.

Now it seems  there are no plans to bring in a UK company to oversee housing association work. I can envisage an almighty screw up if things aren’t done properly, and proper consideration is given - not the usual third rate nonsense from IOMG and its civil servants. In the end the island due to incompetence, not planning correctly or cutting corners will cost the island. I don’t know whether any UK Housing Association has shown any interest in taking on housing stock?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, 2112 said:

Professor Dr David Ashford MHK MBE etc was on the NPM (MR) Moanin line yesterday dispensing IOMG pearls of wisdom.

Now it seems  there are no plans to bring in a UK company to oversee housing association work. I can envisage an almighty screw up if things aren’t done properly, and proper consideration is given - not the usual third rate nonsense from IOMG and its civil servants. In the end the island due to incompetence, not planning correctly or cutting corners will cost the island. I don’t know whether any UK Housing Association has shown any interest in taking on housing stock?

They have decided to create their own Housing Association and only government/DLGE/DOI houses will be involved.

I fail to see how this will improve repairs and maintenance for tenants.

I wonder whether this Housing Association will be subject to Freedom of Information requests?

5 minutes ago, Moghrey Mie said:

I wonder whether this Housing Association will be subject to Freedom of Information requests?

I hope not, unless they put some restrictions on what can be asked.

If you look at the toss that gets submitted it must waste loads of time and money for responses to absolutely nonsense questions, and I guess most of them come from the same handful of idiots.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Moghrey Mie said:

They have decided to create their own Housing Association and only government/DLGE/DOI houses will be involved.

I fail to see how this will improve repairs and maintenance for tenants.

What will happen will be usual Manx Mess/Manx Muddle. The whole point of a housing association, like with a housing association in the UK, is that whilst it has to adhere to standards, regulations and requisite legislation, it is free from political interference, as it is no longer council/government run. It will be able to raise its own funds, via banks/financial institutions for new builds, and repairs and maintenance. 

I don’t know whether IOMG have an intention of actually creating a true housing association? CM Cannan has an obsession with arms length. However, I think they want control over the new organisation and will interfere. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 2112 said:

What will happen will be usual Manx Mess/Manx Muddle. The whole point of a housing association, like with a housing association in the UK, is that whilst it has to adhere to standards, regulations and requisite legislation, it is free from political interference, as it is no longer council/government run. It will be able to raise its own funds, via banks/financial institutions for new builds, and repairs and maintenance. 

I don’t know whether IOMG have an intention of actually creating a true housing association? CM Cannan has an obsession with arms length. However, I think they want control over the new organisation and will interfere. 

Well that will be a novelty-Isle of Man government / Housing association building more social housing.

2 hours ago, 2112 said:

Not like you to be negative, nations moaning mouthpiece 😂

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Moghrey Mie said:

Well that will be a novelty-Isle of Man government / Housing association building more social housing.

That won’t happen under a Manx style Housing Association, or a typical IOMG Manx style Arms length set up. With a proper Housing Association set up, they can get commercial funding, with properties used as collateral. If a larger Housing Association from the UK expresses a desire to take on the properties, if they have a large portfolio then it would be advantageous in terms of economies of scale. Another factor to consider if IOMG try their control freakery, and decide on arms length, is how will this play out against the aims and objectives of the Manx Development Corporation? The MDC are currently developing ‘brownfield’ sites with the sole intention of renting, as opposed to selling.

if they are having a proper housing association , then all government and local government social housing  properties should be included , the money from rentals pooled and the surplus invested in new and replacement housing units , the board could be made up of some  local authority representatives  to bring local knowelage  and have some  input  some seed corn money from Government or a soft loan could help move the process of providing more  affordable social housing , plenty of very successful models in the UK to copy tried and tested , 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Omobono said:

if they are having a proper housing association , then all government and local government social housing  properties should be included , the money from rentals pooled and the surplus invested in new and replacement housing units , the board could be made up of some  local authority representatives  to bring local knowelage  and have some  input  some seed corn money from Government or a soft loan could help move the process of providing more  affordable social housing , plenty of very successful models in the UK to copy tried and tested , 

Yes they should but the local authorities don’t want to because it takes responsibility off them, ridiculous we’ve got all these authorities costing a fortune for ratepayers 

• Like 2