Winner presented with certificate.

rodders

Contestants feel burn in chilli eating event | iomtoday.co.im

They ate their way through a series of increasingly hot chillies, all grown at Red Mie farm in Orrisdale, culminating in the Carolina Reaper which is rated by Guinness World Records as the world’s hottest chilli pepper.

Lightweights! I'm growing reapers here, along with Dorset Naga.

I thought the Ghost Reaper is the world's strongest although you can always get a rouge plant.

1 hour ago, GD4ELI said:

I thought the Ghost Reaper is the world's strongest although you can always get a rouge plant.

California reaper is still the king I think. They went through eight rounds. Didn’t look light weighty to me (12 minutes in) 

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Omobono said:

and to think government has subsidised  this event  by many thousands  of pounds   , how many hip replacements or cataract operations would the money have provided ,

I support Manx Agriculture but we really need to get our priorities right , 

1 x hip replacement private = ~£14k.

31 minutes ago, Omobono said:

and to think government has subsidised  this event  by many thousands  of pounds   , how many hip replacements or cataract operations would the money have provided ,

I think the promotion of Manx produce is very worthwhile, we do need to be producing more here, at the right price I may add. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Omobono said:

I agree, whilst the event was a humorous way of promotion, it could have serious consequences if one of the contestants suffered an adverse reaction as a result of eating a chilli. A trip to A&E, possible hospital admission? 

For a serious food and drink fair, I don’t think these eating competitions are somewhat classy - bit downmarket and gimmicky. 

Edited by 2112

6 minutes ago, 2112 said:

I agree, whilst the event was a humorous way of promotion, it could have serious consequences if one of the contestants suffered an adverse reaction as a result of eating a chilli. A trip to A&E, possible hospital admission? 

For a serious food and drink fair, I don’t think these eating competitions are somewhat classy - bit downmarket and gimmicky. 

Man eats world's hottest chilli pepper – and ends up in hospital

8 minutes ago, 2112 said:

i would  guess that the chilli eating comp saw that tent at its fullest over the entire weekend.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, GD4ELI said:

I watched a show on Netflix about quirky "sports" and they had one about chilli eating contest and the guy was crossing different chillis to make even stronger ones, it was pretty entertaining actually but the stomachs of those involved must not have been in good shape haha

1 minute ago, thommo2010 said:

I watched a show on Netflix about quirky "sports" and they had one about chilli eating contest and the guy was crossing different chillis to make even stronger ones, it was pretty entertaining actually but the stomachs of those involved must not have been in good shape haha

This year myself & neighbour are growing in my greenhouse: Thai, Peach Reaper, Scotch Bonnet, Scorpion, Peruvian, Fire, Joe's Long, Bengal Naga and (drum roll) Dorset Naga. Will make sauces and jams with these. Quite a few chilli companies in the south-west.

Just now, GD4ELI said:

This year myself & neighbour are growing in my greenhouse: Thai, Peach Reaper, Scotch Bonnet, Scorpion, Peruvian, Fire, Joe's Long, Bengal Naga and (drum roll) Dorset Naga. Will make sauces and jams with these. Quite a few chilli companies in the south-west.

I'm glad I don't have to wash your underpants.

• Haha 3