Winner presented with certificate.

rodders

4 hours ago, A fool and his money..... said:

He goes to the opening of an envelope. It gives him something to do with his time in between tax-payer funded meals.

That’s harsh.

He and his family are contributing a lot to the island in many ways and getting really involved in, and enhancing a lot of aspects of island life.

You would need to be out and about and participating in island life to understand that though.  People sitting on their arse at home all day probably wouldn’t notice.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

That’s harsh.

He and his family are contributing a lot to the island in many ways and getting really involved in, and enhancing a lot of aspects of island life.

You would need to be out and about and participating in island life to understand that though.  People sitting on their arse at home all day probably wouldn’t notice.

Quite, both the Gov and his wife have really got involved in life on the island.  Marshaling at the TT and the charity sleepover on Snaefell being just a couple of examples where they have done more than just grace an event, but got right in there.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Roger Mexico said:

Exactly.  If you look at the text under the picture (or rather set of pictures) it reads: Cadets’ Investiture and Awards at Government House - Armed Forces Covenant silver employer award for Manx Radio, collected by Tony Palmer

It explains why the Gov was clanking with all his medals, not normally a dress requirement for eating chillies.

That is an impressive collection of medals.

Do you know what they are all for?

12 minutes ago, Blade Runner said:

That is an impressive collection of medals.

Do you know what they are all for?

Well if you're in the Army for 40 years, most of the time in command positions and often in places where actual fighting is going on, then you're going to pick up a fair bit of ribboned hardware.  His Wiki lists some of the more prominent.  But spend any time in forces and you get something - even Alf managed one, though as that photo shows he got trumped by practically everyone else, except maybe for Skelly.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Gladys said:

Quite, both the Gov and his wife have really got involved in life on the island.  Marshaling at the TT and the charity sleepover on Snaefell being just a couple of examples where they have done more than just grace an event, but got right in there.

In all honesty, this Leftenant Guvenor compared to previous incumbents, has thrown himself into the role. I would go as far, he has performed better than some of our politicos, to shame, with his work ethic. They are doing things way over what a job description for LG usually entails. 

• Like 7

48 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Well if you're in the Army for 40 years, most of the time in command positions and often in places where actual fighting is going on, then you're going to pick up a fair bit of ribboned hardware.  His Wiki lists some of the more prominent.  But spend any time in forces and you get something - even Alf managed one, though as that photo shows he got trumped by practically everyone else, except maybe for Skelly.

Including Rear Admiral, Lord Field Marshal, Air Chief Marshall Juan Watterson...

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, CrazyDave said:

That’s harsh.

I agree, he's the best one we've had in a long time, probably ever. He's personable, interested and engaged in what's going on in the island. I have nothing against him, in fact you can't help but like the man.

It doesn't change the fact though, that the position he occupies is completely mental, extremely expensive and equally unnecessary in our 21st century democracy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 2112 said:

In all honesty, this Leftenant Guvenor compared to previous incumbents, has thrown himself into the role. I would go as far, he has performed better than some of our politicos, to shame, with his work ethic. They are doing things way over what a job description for LG usually entails. 

Work ethic!? Don't get me wrong he seems like a nice fella, but he's shaking a few hands and quoffing tax-payer funded champagne, not getting up at six in the morning to dig up the roads in the rain like some of the people who are paying for him to live in the lap of luxury on five times their salary. He doesn't even pay income tax FFS, what's all that about?

1 hour ago, A fool and his money..... said:

Work ethic!? Don't get me wrong he seems like a nice fella, but he's shaking a few hands and quoffing tax-payer funded champagne, not getting up at six in the morning to dig up the roads in the rain like some of the people who are paying for him to live in the lap of luxury on five times their salary. He doesn't even pay income tax FFS, what's all that about?

he is a well connected  intelligent  man  very committed to his role ,  and available to give advice and assistance when requested ,  the island in its  present uncertain  circumstances  would be a poorer place without him , 

I just hope someone in government is listening !  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

The position is there whether people like it or not and this Governor is filling the position with enthusiasm .   Everyone who meets him says he is a down to earth likeable man probably the most hard working Governor we have had for a long time We are a Crown Dependency and we have to have someone to represent the King. I expect when he was in the army he had to get up early in the morning, I suspect even earlier than employees of our DOI who don’t start work at 6 in the morning and I think he may have got wet a few times.  

• Thanks 1