Father who beat daughter with belt narrowly avoids jail

cissolt

2 hours ago, Harry Lamb said:

I'm sure Ms Braidwood had good reasons for suspending the sentence: it's a pity they are not specified in the report, because on the face of it the sentence is unduly lenient.

i'm sure miss braidwood will have no good excuses if it happens again

I'm glad to hear that she's been placed in foster care and even gladder to hear that it's obviously with someone who has shown her what real parenting is. 

Regardless of the father's remorse, the child has declared she's not returning to him, and who could blame her. 

This 'kneeling' punishment, often on rice, stones or buckwheat is tortuous abuse. I thought it only happened in the USA with families from the south with a deep religious persuasion. Where this father has got his ideas from, gawd knows. Anyway, he may not have been punished by the courts, but his daughter has just put the boot in good and proper.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Roxanne said:

This 'kneeling' punishment, often on rice, stones or buckwheat is tortuous abuse. I thought it only happened in the USA with families from the south with a deep religious persuasion. Where this father has got his ideas from, gawd knows. Anyway, he may not have been punished by the courts, but his daughter has just put the boot in good and proper.

The report mentions being made to kneel in a praying position. The whole thing is disturbing enough without introducing an unmentioned further strand of torture.

• Sad 1