A P&O situation looming in the IOMSPCo?

The Listening Ear

So a crew member today has let me know that they are another step nearer industrial action. 
They have been told that the shoreside management have issued a consultation period starting 23/9/23 to basically change all the crews T&C’s from 01/01/2024. It’s been made quite clear that a fire and rehire situation will occur if they don’t agree to the new T&C’s. Effectively doing a “P&O” to the crews that have served the island with its lifeline sailings! They were the best thing since sliced bread during the pandemic!!

The unions are in talks with Manx Industrial Relations and legal teams regarding the legalities of them doing this. I do remember speaking to crew when the P&O situation arose as the IOMSPCo were already wanting a change to T&C’s and Mr. Thomson said there would never be a situation like that on island. How times change Mr MD! Now you are threatening the exact same action. 

Never mind a shake up of the fleet I suggest a shake up of the shoreside management and the huge board of directors, the only decent one is now no longer there. 

Time for a vote of no confidence? 

• Like 1

That would be a fairly stupid tactic in the current labour market. P&O did it at the end of lockdown when there was a huge amount of employment insecurity.

3 minutes ago, ian rush said:

It’s an IMO requirement to crew a vessel in harbour and 14 days on/off is pretty standard. That seems to be the sticking point and from employer side it’s probably a ball ache to roster anything shorter.

A ball ache they coped ok with for a couple of hundred years until now

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, The Listening Ear said:

So a crew member today has let me know that they are another step nearer industrial action. 
They have been told that the shoreside management have issued a consultation period starting 23/9/23 to basically change all the crews T&C’s from 01/01/2024. It’s been made quite clear that a fire and rehire situation will occur if they don’t agree to the new T&C’s. Effectively doing a “P&O” to the crews that have served the island with its lifeline sailings! They were the best thing since sliced bread during the pandemic!!

The unions are in talks with Manx Industrial Relations and legal teams regarding the legalities of them doing this. I do remember speaking to crew when the P&O situation arose as the IOMSPCo were already wanting a change to T&C’s and Mr. Thomson said there would never be a situation like that on island. How times change Mr MD! Now you are threatening the exact same action. 

Never mind a shake up of the fleet I suggest a shake up of the shoreside management and the huge board of directors, the only decent one is now no longer there. 

Time for a vote of no confidence? 

Work for the SP do you?

12 minutes ago, ian rush said:

It’s an IMO requirement to crew a vessel in harbour and 14 days on/off is pretty standard. That seems to be the sticking point and from employer side it’s probably a ball ache to roster anything shorter.

The Ben crew have been doing week on week off since she arrived so shouldn’t be a ball ache.

• Like 1