A P&O situation looming in the IOMSPCo?

The Listening Ear

Steam packet statement, seems 70% of staff have accepted we terms, it always used to be live on & it will make  company more flexible. Seems reasonable from company plus staff are getting more money & holidays 

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/steam-packet-we-will-not-agree-preferential-terms-for-nautilus-members/?fbclid=IwAR0JDWJ3eakSZ7ssz8YSFeLDi4Vnw1QMClkEd6UIN5aVZurk4niluS_02gI

2 hours ago, Banker said:

Steam packet statement, seems 70% of staff have accepted we terms, it always used to be live on & it will make  company more flexible. Seems reasonable from company plus staff are getting more money & holidays 

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/steam-packet-we-will-not-agree-preferential-terms-for-nautilus-members/?fbclid=IwAR0JDWJ3eakSZ7ssz8YSFeLDi4Vnw1QMClkEd6UIN5aVZurk4niluS_02gI

Seems very reasonable indeed on the face of it.

• Like 1

"This includes the choice of week on/week off, or two weeks on/two weeks off working rotations, additional days leave and the additional bonus mentioned by Nautilus."

So there's a choice. One week or two weeks on/off. Seems reasonable to me and probably better than most others working in the industry.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It seems that the SPC have riled the RMT, in their dispute with staff, over working practices on the Manxman. The RMT have said that they haven’t accepted changes to terms and conditions, whist the SPC are saying they have signed up. 

It seems like the Steam Packet and the Treasury are trying to play both unions off each. If they aren’t careful something will go badly wrong. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, 2112 said:

It seems that the SPC have riled the RMT, in their dispute with staff, over working practices on the Manxman. The RMT have said that they haven’t accepted changes to terms and conditions, whist the SPC are saying they have signed up. 

It seems like the Steam Packet and the Treasury are trying to play both unions off each. If they aren’t careful something will go badly wrong. 

Well someone is telling porky pies and it’s not the RMT as nobody has signed any agreement or any new contracts… even those already on the Manxman!!! 

3 minutes ago, The Listening Ear said:

Well someone is telling porky pies and it’s not the RMT as nobody has signed any agreement or any new contracts… even those already on the Manxman!!! 

Perhaps IOMG/Treasury are either naive, stupid or think they and the SPC are being clever. I don’t want any industrial action, disruption and as a member of the travelling public who uses IOMSPC both on Mannanan and the Ben, I look forward to sailing on the Manxman. Why oh why could this have not been settled, or comprised agreements? 

13 minutes ago, 2112 said:

Perhaps IOMG/Treasury are either naive, stupid or think they and the SPC are being clever. I don’t want any industrial action, disruption and as a member of the travelling public who uses IOMSPC both on Mannanan and the Ben, I look forward to sailing on the Manxman. Why oh why could this have not been settled, or comprised agreements? 

It could have been settled 2 years ago but the SPCO have been so pigheaded and designed, built and paid for a ship that they were insistent was live aboard for all. You’d think they’d have got all this sorted before actually ordering the ship! Dictatorship at its best.. you’ll do what we want or be fired.

They had the opportunity to change this and have it all sorted before the keel was laid as crews voted on what they wanted and Manx crew was live ashore. Still the belligerent management go ahead and do what suits them seeing as live aboard doesn’t affect them. 

58 minutes ago, The Listening Ear said:

It could have been settled 2 years ago but the SPCO have been so pigheaded and designed, built and paid for a ship that they were insistent was live aboard for all. You’d think they’d have got all this sorted before actually ordering the ship! Dictatorship at its best.. you’ll do what we want or be fired.

They had the opportunity to change this and have it all sorted before the keel was laid as crews voted on what they wanted and Manx crew was live ashore. Still the belligerent management go ahead and do what suits them seeing as live aboard doesn’t affect them. 

So how does all of this (P&O excepted) fit with the rest of the Irish Sea ferry operators? 

ETA: Stenaline is 14 on/14 off & 13 hour shifts. I have yet to find SeaTruck details but I imagine they'll be the same.

Edited by Andy Onchan

5 hours ago, Andy Onchan said:

So how does all of this (P&O excepted) fit with the rest of the Irish Sea ferry operators? 

ETA: Stenaline is 14 on/14 off & 13 hour shifts. I have yet to find SeaTruck details but I imagine they'll be the same.

The SPCO want the crews to do split shifts (watches) whilst on board so wouldn’t be like stena doing 13hr shifts and 11 rest hours. It would be broken rest at best. Plus the islands route to Heysham and back is quite unique  and not as long as other ferry operators. 

32 minutes ago, The Listening Ear said:

The SPCO want the crews to do split shifts (watches) whilst on board so wouldn’t be like stena doing 13hr shifts and 11 rest hours. It would be broken rest at best. Plus the islands route to Heysham and back is quite unique  and not as long as other ferry operators. 

And still you claim not to work for the IOMSPC…😂😂😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, The Listening Ear said:

Do they not have a point as far as fewer sailings lost to cancellations is concerned? That would be something worth getting an agreement for.