A P&O situation looming in the IOMSPCo?

The Listening Ear

On 12/22/2023 at 6:55 PM, newaccount said:

Why would anyone choose to work for this employer now. Knowing the modus operandi and their festive treatment of the employees.

Equally though - the sort of people who threaten strike action can never ultimately be depended on.

Best case scenario, the people who do not want to work for the company get jobs somewhere they would be happier.

• Like 1

Just now, genericUserName said:

Equally though - the sort of people who threaten strike action can never ultimately be depended on.

Best case scenario, the people who do not want to work for the company get jobs somewhere they would be happier.

Where? ...lots of onboard shipping jobs here...not. Office bollox maybe. but that's not the career they have invested their time in.

5 minutes ago, genericUserName said:

Massive shortage of workers both here and in the UK.

Any company needs to employ the sort of people who are ultimately prepared to do what they are told.

Yeah...but these guys have often been working for the racket years. And accepted the job without all that going away bollox.

15 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Personally I’d like to spend a few days living  in Mr Thomson’s office, slopping out in his waste paper bin.

Having come straight from Ashford's buttocks, that's a useful double shift for you.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

There is every benefit that is why all the other shipping lines operate this system. Also I read somewhere there are about 70% of officers in the union and that about 70% of union members voted for the limited strike action, work to rule as it used to be known by,  so there quite a few Officers left who have no Union loyalty and of quite a few Union members who did not vote for the limited strike so added together a fair number who have no wish to strike.   Surely if you take up the sea as a career you really don’t expect to be home every day or night as the case may be.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Manxman2000 said:

That’s the reason Manx Care have so many vacancies,  can’t be a nurse or doctor who has not heard of the Doctor Rachael Ranson affair.

Shop floor staff don’t give a toss about two senior managers bickering. The pair of them were like two bald men fighting over a comb. Fair play to Ranson, she’s played the government like a fiddle, and her sob story’s won her three million smacker. 

As for the Steam Packet, if the current officers don’t like the new conditions (and I do get why they wouldn’t) then I can guarantee there won’t be shortage of people who’d happily take their place. 

It’s funny isn’t it. People on here want government agencies to behave more like the private sector and, when they do, the same people are on here whining that they shouldn’t be behaving like the private sector. And even with this change they’re not being as ruthless as Irish Ferries were when they imposed change, never mind P&O.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Albert Tatlock said:

But there's no benefit to changing the current system...explain to me how you think it does?

The management wouldn’t be doing this for shits and giggles. It’s obvious that a live-in crew will give the Steam Packet more flexibility, and will save them a fortune in on-island accommodation costs for off-island crew.

There’s a reason why most shipping and ferry companies have a live-in rota for crew. Seatruck did when they crewed the Arrow on the wet lease, Mezeron do on the Silver River.

4 minutes ago, Ringy Rose said:

The management wouldn’t be doing this for shits and giggles. It’s obvious that a live-in crew will give the Steam Packet more flexibility, and will save them a fortune in on-island accommodation costs for off-island crew.

There’s a reason why most shipping and ferry companies have a live-in rota for crew. Seatruck did when they crewed the Arrow on the wet lease, Mezeron do on the Silver River.

That works for Filipino crews who's families are still in the Philippines not so much for Jonny who has a wife and kids in Farm hill.

Just now, finlo said:

That works for Filipino crews who's families are still in the Philippines not so much for Jonny who has a wife and kids in Farm hill.

I completely agree. The changes won’t matter much to non-island staff who are away from home regardless. It’s the island staff who will suffer. I think that shows by the fact the RMT staff have already agreed the change.

I don’t know enough about the proposed changes to know whether they’ll make much difference to operational resilience. But I don’t see that the management would be doing it for a laugh.

Given the conditions in the Sea Services Agreement, it’s not even as though the cynical “let’s make it intolerable for a Manx crew so we can hire in cheaper staff” would apply here.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, genericUserName said:

Times change though.

The IOMSPCo has a #1 responsibity to do what it needs to do to operate effectively.

Sorry the more locals working for the company  especially as deck and engineer officers , the more stability the company will have  ,employ only foreign officers and crew  and we will become hostage  to someone else's fortune , 

what happened to apprentice officers and an opportunity for our youngsters   to follow a career  at sea at one time sponsered  and aided   by the department of enterprise 

after all the crew don't even pay NI into the local economy and there is something not quite right about this Guernsey  employment arrangement , time for the back benchers to ask a few questions  about this arms length government owned company and exactly where its going  

• Like 2