A P&O situation looming in the IOMSPCo?

The Listening Ear

2 hours ago, Ringy Rose said:

Shop floor staff don’t give a toss about two senior managers bickering. The pair of them were like two bald men fighting over a comb. Fair play to Ranson, she’s played the government like a fiddle, and her sob story’s won her three million smacker. 

As for the Steam Packet, if the current officers don’t like the new conditions (and I do get why they wouldn’t) then I can guarantee there won’t be shortage of people who’d happily take their place. 

It’s funny isn’t it. People on here want government agencies to behave more like the private sector and, when they do, the same people are on here whining that they shouldn’t be behaving like the private sector. And even with this change they’re not being as ruthless as Irish Ferries were when they imposed change, never mind P&O.

For whose benefit would government agencies behave more like the private sector though?

Do you think that any "benefits" would be passed on to the customers or taxpayers? 

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

For whose benefit would government agencies behave more like the private sector though?

Do you think that any "benefits" would be passed on to the customers or taxpayers? 

Well yes they will, €1m dividend this year plus more in years to come and more reliable service not dependent on private venture capitalists 

• Like 6

Someone‘s up early to argue with themself today. 

Edited by Cueey Lewis And The News
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Banker said:

Yes you!! Haven’t you been banned for multiple log ons already?

F0AB3976-96B2-4A60-8A5A-2C110444B2F7.jpeg

14 hours ago, finlo said:

That works for Filipino crews who's families are still in the Philippines not so much for Jonny who has a wife and kids in Farm hill.

14 hours ago, Albert Tatlock said:

I still don't see any justified change though. What am I missing on 2 daily sailings?

This is what I don't really understand either? 

Surely there is some middle ground here, or is the new SPCo MD just flexing his muscles and bringing the employees to heel? Or is it about getting rid of all the expensive locals and replacing them with more flexible and cheaper foreign crews? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Max Power said:

This is what I don't really understand either? 

Surely there is some middle ground here, or is the new SPCo MD just flexing his muscles and bringing the employees to heel? Or is it about getting rid of all the expensive locals and replacing them with more flexible and cheaper foreign crews? 

Isn't it as they've just spent £80m on a boat on the basis of LOB crew, and without it they lose the possible resilience benefits, Liverpool day trips and also easier to recruit crew.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Dirty Buggane said:

You mean a bit like let's change all the bus drivers on to new terms and conditions if you will not change we will sack you and hire some one more compliant and possibly cheaper, its a win win situation. Yeah HOW did that work out ?, I wonder.

Quite well as it happens.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dirty Buggane said:

You mean a bit like let's change all the bus drivers on to new terms and conditions if you will not change we will sack you and hire some one more compliant and possibly cheaper, its a win win situation. Yeah HOW did that work out ?, I wonder.

Very well as the drivers knew they were getting a good deal so eventually everyone signed up