A P&O situation looming in the IOMSPCo?

The Listening Ear

50 minutes ago, The Listening Ear said:

The Ben crew have been doing week on week off since she arrived so shouldn’t be a ball ache.

There’s a huge difference between week on week off shift patterns and being able to go home between shifts and two weeks on two weeks off and having to stay on board between shifts.

Think of the disruption to family life, parental responsibilities, caring for older family members.

• Like 11

2 hours ago, The Listening Ear said:

So a crew member today has let me know that they are another step nearer industrial action. 
They have been told that the shoreside management have issued a consultation period starting 23/9/23 to basically change all the crews T&C’s from 01/01/2024. It’s been made quite clear that a fire and rehire situation will occur if they don’t agree to the new T&C’s. Effectively doing a “P&O” to the crews that have served the island with its lifeline sailings! They were the best thing since sliced bread during the pandemic!!

The unions are in talks with Manx Industrial Relations and legal teams regarding the legalities of them doing this. I do remember speaking to crew when the P&O situation arose as the IOMSPCo were already wanting a change to T&C’s and Mr. Thomson said there would never be a situation like that on island. How times change Mr MD! Now you are threatening the exact same action. 

Never mind a shake up of the fleet I suggest a shake up of the shoreside management and the huge board of directors, the only decent one is now no longer there. 

Time for a vote of no confidence? 

If they screw things up, which is becoming a CM Cannan/IOMG trait, industrial action occurs or SPCO takes action akin to the P&O, you can imagine the really bad negative publicity both the company and the island will receive. That’s not including reaction from trade unions, which could be from trade unions apart from the the RMT. Then I am sure that the UK Labour Party will have something to say. If the SPCO press the nuclear button replacing staff with cheap labour, the island shouldn’t be surprised to come in for very negative and unfavourable publicity from the UK press, print media and broadcast. After all P&O didn’t receive favourable publicity either. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, John Wright said:

There’s a huge difference between week on week off shift patterns and being able to go home between shifts and two weeks on two weeks off and having to stay on board between shifts.

Think of the disruption to family life, parental responsibilities, caring for older family members.

Exactly. That’s what the crew are worried about 

1 hour ago, 2112 said:

If they screw things up, which is becoming a CM Cannan/IOMG trait, industrial action occurs or SPCO takes action akin to the P&O, you can imagine the really bad negative publicity both the company and the island will receive. That’s not including reaction from trade unions, which could be from trade unions apart from the the RMT. Then I am sure that the UK Labour Party will have something to say. If the SPCO press the nuclear button replacing staff with cheap labour, the island shouldn’t be surprised to come in for very negative and unfavourable publicity from the UK press, print media and broadcast. After all P&O didn’t receive favourable publicity either. 

Precisely this 💯 percent.

2 hours ago, 2112 said:

No they didn't, but did P&O care, and did it stop them doing what they set out to do? No, not at all. Does anyone care now that the heat has died down? Not so much. Last year's news.

Is this really comparable to the SPCo situation though? I quite understand the issue regarding the move to living onboard two weeks at a stretch, and I do see that it wouldn't suit many people for the reasons outlined above. I certainly wouldn't do it, although I was speaking recently to a young steward working two weeks on and two weeks off aboard Manxman, and he said every time he went home he couldn't wait to be back on board. Home was Liverpool, so perhaps understandable.

The main thrust of complaint about what P&O was doing though, was the termination of contracts of their crews and hiring foreign crews at something like £4 an hour because the company claimed that the business was bankrupt if they didn't do so. Now, I don't think the SPCo is proposing anything like this. Or are they?

3 hours ago, John Wright said:

Good point. Doing 7 on 7 off on the Ben and Lady was ok because most nights we could go home. The Lady was tied up in Liverpool quite a few days which meant getting pissed in the rubber duck which was always nice (and the Liverpool based crew fucked off home). Not sure why they would dick the crew around like this and aren’t most on seasonal contracts anyway? 

4 hours ago, Mercenary said:

Lead to a departure of a certain operations director that @Roger Mexico recently maligned?

I didn't malign him at all - in fact I pointed out that he had considerable prior Steam Packet experience. despite his most recent employment being in Dubai.  But his Linkedin shows his position as terminating this month.  My main point was that since the IOMG takeover there was a history of long-serving senior Steam Packet employees going, to be replaced by those with less obviously relevant experience.

Which in this case may be the problem.  In IOMG's world of 'management professionals', having specific knowledge and skills is regarded as being rather suspicious.  It undermines the belief that the important people are generalists who can apply the same procedures in any situation in any organisation.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

"Fire and Rehire" wasn't the big problem with P&O.  The problem was they were legally obliged to notify the UK Government of their intention to dismiss so many people in a short period of time and they didn't. 

The consultation process P&O followed was also sketchy from memory. 

"Fire and Rehire" or dismissal for "some other substantial reason" (SOSR) remains a valid approach in law as long as the correct processes are followed.