Unprofessional bellends at it again

HeliX

11 minutes ago, majkul said:

Obviously, the two girls are not "connected", or they would have been helped straightaway. 

There's a connected woman down our way who lives on a lane with double yellow lines. At night people often park there (there is still plenty of room for a fire engine to pass). She phones her friends in the police and within usually about 20 minutes one of her police (it's always a man) friends comes along and slaps a ticket on the windscreen. 

A minor point maybe, but very irritating.

49 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

It's a couple of 17 year old girls who have just passed their test.  Whilst I'm sure it's unlikely they would get blown of a cliff, there is still the fact they thought it was possible. 

It comes down the fact that they thought they were in danger and accordingly called the Police.  Whether or not they really were in danger or not is really irrelevant; it's their perception.  They have then been publicly mocked by the Police.  It's not acceptable. 

Do you need to be 100% certain you're in danger now before asking our emergency service for help?  Often in those situations it would then be too late. 

Normally teenagers would ring parents to ask for advice, whilst the police original post was wrong for which they’ve apologized, you have to question why the girls were out in conditions & why ring the police when not really in danger. 

2 minutes ago, Banker said:

Normally teenagers would ring parents to ask for advice, whilst the police original post was wrong for which they’ve apologized, you have to question why the girls were out in conditions & why ring the police when not really in danger. 

They did say no reception to call parents. 999 will often still work when signal as can use any network etc., so it is feasible.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Amadeus said:

They’ve already posted an apology. Which is good on them. I was surprised to see that sort of tone from the RPU. I Wonder what @Derek Flintwould have said :) 

https://m.facebook.com/iomrpu

I can’t imagine @Derek Flintmaking stupid comments like what the RPU have posted. They obviously lack the skills and empathy which you would think goes with the job. Whatever your thoughts, whether right or wrong it’s best to say nothing. 

11 minutes ago, Banker said:

Because they thought they were in danger. If anyone feels like they're in danger, though perhaps particularly a young girl, they should be able to call the police and receive help. Or at the very worst, be told they're fine to make their own way home.

What they shouldn't receive is mockery on the phone and then a public Facebook post taking the piss.

• Like 5

46 minutes ago, Amadeus said:

They’ve already posted an apology. Which is good on them. I was surprised to see that sort of tone from the RPU. I Wonder what @Derek Flintwould have said :) 

https://m.facebook.com/iomrpu

4 minutes ago, 2112 said:

I can’t imagine @Derek Flintmaking stupid comments like what the RPU have posted. They obviously lack the skills and empathy which you would think goes with the job. Whatever your thoughts, whether right or wrong it’s best to say nothing. 

It happens sometimes. But the job have been magnanimous and apologised rather than doubled down. 

There's a few posts a year which are on the cusp of working/ not working. But that's communication isn't it. I got it wrong sometimes too.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Banker said:

Unlikely in Groudle unless they were at beach !

It's actually pretty spotty around that whole area to Howstrake because of the cliffs. 

You're right though, zero reception down at the beach.  That's why the drug boats come in there 😉

10 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

ut the job have been magnanimous and apologised rather than doubled down. 

I'm not on social media but let me guess how it went.

Police made the first mocking post and were supported by it causing great hilarity on Facebook.

Some people questioned their stance, and the police respond by doubling down and making excuses.

Girls post their statement.

Everyone changes their mind and starts lambasting he police.

Police apologise.

I bet you £100 that if the girls hadn't made their statement, NO apology would have been made.

This isn't the first time I've criticised the police for their inappropriate social media posts and it probably won't be the last. 

They have a responsibility to the public and part of that is keeping the peace. Turning a section of the public against another is NOT keeping the peace.

FFS, it really is time they had someone who posts the facts that are required and keeps the funny talk to the staff room.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Manx Resident said:

A wrong turn onto the Groudle Road?. Car being blown backwards towards cliff, so presumably at the most exposed part of Groudle Road below the Howstrake Golf Course?. The individuals being blown away on the cliff face?. The car was presumably stopped on sea side of road rather than driven across to the inland side?. Safety of a car that can so easily be blown onto two wheels?. So many questions……

The girls story has changed many times 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, buncha wankas said:

The girls story has changed many times 

17 year old girls being openly bullied on social media by the police after a perceived life threatening experience.

I'd imagine they are experiencing emotions and thoughts that are overwhelming and brand new to them.

What will my friends think? Have I done something wrong? Will I get into trouble? Is this just how the emergency services are? 

They'll be trying to frame this situation differently for their friends, parents etc to minimise any embarrassment within each group. That might seem like changing their story, but it's a common way that people deal with a traumatic event.

Edited by HeteroErectus
  • Like 3