Unprofessional bellends at it again

HeliX

36 minutes ago, Roxanne said:
52 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

But the job have been magnanimous and apologised rather than doubled down. 

I'm not on social media but let me guess how it went [...]

And you guessed correctly.  Gef's piece on the kerfuffle contains screen shots of the now-deleted posts and includes the information that the RPU reacted to criticism of their initial response by adding: ‘If you dont like it thats your prerogative, maybe unfollow our page.’  Which gives the impression they see social media as about stoking their egos rather than informing as many members of the public as possible.  They also tagged the initial post with #DarwinAward, which is not just callous but nonsensical as that would imply that the girls were in danger.

Rather like certain posters on MF, they seem to regard communication as being about asserting the superiority to everyone else rather than letting people know things.  Though those on MF can at least claim that their not being paid to help people when doing this.  And while we're on the subject I'd go with a Facebook avatar that was a bit friendlier and less Robocop-y:

image.png.42f59d4e295d6a46f1feda986f6b7231.png

The main point to be made is different though.  Emergency services shouldn't be discouraging people from dialling 999.  Better nine calls that don't really need the emergency service, than one not made when it was, for fear of being criticised.  In practice 999 callers already vet calls to make sure that the service is required and the right service(s) requested.  Those seriously abusing the 999 system are prosecuted.  But no one should be put off

• Like 4

The girls were frightened phone contact to their parents wasn’t working they asked the police for help and what did they get public ridicule on Facebook.     Shame on you the police no wonder you have lost a lot of public respect over the last few years the condescending way you speak to people on your Facebook is bad enough but to deny people in trouble assistance that is disgusting.   

• Like 4

The post raises a variety of issues, in years gone by such communication would doubtless be controlled by officers in charge  - perhaps the station sgt or others of rank.  The mantra of the constabluary was often stated as 'keeping people safe' - this clearly flies in the face of one of the police's core functions, whatever the officers assessment it is the belief of the calling party that needs factoring in.  Having said that the police, along with many other organisations, encouraged delegation and empowerment to all their staff whereby individual officers populate their social media outlets which of course works both ways in terms of poor supervision, and therein lies the the potential problem.  Empowerment is a difficult area and officers may become risk averse, but this has been brewing for a while with the police content in tweets/facebook etc. Under the previous regime doubtless 'lessons would be learnt' if there was any comment.  I sense the new regime may have a different approach.

51 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

They also tagged the initial post with #DarwinAward, which is not just callous but nonsensical as that would imply that the girls were in danger.

I also think the intention is that Darwin Awards are given posthumously. 

I wasn't sure what to make of it when I first read it.

But, you've got two 17 year old kids, who won't have much experience on the road, trying to get home safely in what is godawful weather. Probably the worst weather they've driven in.

They've made a wrong turn, then made the sensible decision of stopping as the conditions didn't feel safe, and realised that even then, they were concerned for what was happening.

Regardless of whether they were actually about to blow away, it would've felt pretty intimidating up there, especially when you weren't expecting it.

They call 999 because they're concerned for their safety, and they can't reach anyone else.

Then they get told they're not in any bother and to walk home, only to be taken the piss out of later.

Not great all round really.

• Like 3

Is that really the statement of the girls themselves?

Starts of as "we are two 17 year old girls" and then towards the end "anyone who has kids would understand". Reads more like the parents of the girls writing the statement on their behalf.

Nothing against that btw, just an observation.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Chie said:

Is that really the statement of the girls themselves?

Starts of as "we are two 17 year old girls" and then towards the end "anyone who has kids would understand". Reads more like the parents of the girls writing the statement on their behalf.

Nothing against that btw, just an observation.

They're probably aware that Facebook is mostly populated with boomers so they'll be talking mostly to parents.

3 minutes ago, Max Power said:

There are some very sensible, rational and compassionate police officers, unfortunately there are some right self important bellends too! These are the ones who colour our opinions unfortunately. 

I have a lot of respect for most police, mainly those that do their job wonderfully (there are a lot of them), without any fanfare. Like with every other walk of life, respect has to be earned. It takes a bit longer to earn it, whereas it is very quick to lose it.

• Like 1