Unprofessional bellends at it again

HeliX

5 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Wow.  Do you need to understand physics to drive a car? 

Separately, yes I actually do wish the basic physics in play about weight transfer and grip (particularly how "using up" grip for longitudinal forces removes available grip for latitudinal forces...) was taught, but it's also certainly not something to mock people who are currently not taught about it over.

Edited by HeliX

3 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Do you need to understand physics to drive a car?

It’s probably a good idea to have a basic understanding as to how physics affects the two-ton lump of metal you’re in charge of.

1 minute ago, HeliX said:

What are you basing that on?

The very first line of the police’s post.

6 minutes ago, Ringy Rose said:

The post was needlessly dickish.

But let’s not let the girl off that easily either. A dumb call, wasting police time, and the fact she’s allowed out on the road quite frankly terrifies me.

I'd rather someone who realises they need help when unconfident rather than someone who ploughs on without any of the requisite ability.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, HeliX said:

I'd rather someone who realises they need help when unconfident rather than someone who ploughs on without any of the requisite ability.

If my daughter thought she was in genuine danger and called 999 for assistance like that and ended up being publicly ripped by the police for the trouble I’d be absolutely furious. They are paid to deal with difficult situations or time wasters. Sometimes people call as they’re scared and think it’s an emergency. They need support and help. The fact that it was a windy night and someone fancied sitting on their arse taking the piss rather than passing by and making sure they were safe needs to be investigated. It just puts even more people off making an emergency call. They’re even going to try to second guess if you really need an ambulance in future. Maybe we should all just plug into the matrix? 

• Like 6

27 minutes ago, Ringy Rose said:

But let’s not let the girl off that easily either. A dumb call, wasting police time, and the fact she’s allowed out on the road quite frankly terrifies me.

Well everyone is safe. Let’s hope both parties ( girls and police ) do learn lessons from this.

As for smartarses suggesting that the girls should have said they had some weed in the car to get a better response, hopefully they will grow up a bit too. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Ringy Rose said:

Better than taking up their time, an ambulance’s time and fire brigade’s time if it goes wrong. 

She realised she was in a situation beyond her ability, stopped and tried to seek assistance, which is something a lot of people wouldn’t do. Some would just crack on without considering the consequences. 

By the sounds of it, she would’ve called her parents, but had no signal to do so.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Well everyone is safe. Let’s hope both parties ( girls and police ) do learn lessons from this.

What do the girls need to learn? Not to be inexperienced 17 year olds who might need a bit of support in a challenging situation?

Edited by Cueey Lewis And The News
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Ringy Rose said:

She thought her car was going to blow away in a 70mph wind. A car which faces a 70mph wind every time it moves forward down a motorway.

A car is going down the motorway at 70 mph. It experiences a 70 mph sidewind gust. Does the car turn or move:-

left

right

sideways

just goes straight on

Answers to be classified by front/mid/rear engine car (or Citroen Dyane, in which case it will just fall over).

• Like 1

If it's where I think it happened, by the old shelter at Howstrake, then I can believe how frightening it could have been. The wind in that spot funnels up the crevasse in the cliff and over the wall. It's much more intense than the wind either side of this spot (terrain induced wind). I've seen someone blown off their feet and into the road there on a day much less windy than yesterday. It's surprising just how windy that spot can get. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1