Unprofessional bellends at it again

HeliX

26 minutes ago, code99 said:

There is no way they can put a positive spin on the unprofessional irresponsible behaviour and appalling attitude from the people whose job is to protect the community (incidentally, when the news broke about a woman murdered by a policeman in South London, some in the Metropolitan Police Service were trying to ‘excuse’ Wayne Couzens’s behaviour).

IOM taxpayers’ money is being used to conduct police training. Did these officers actually attend professional police training courses, or the training courses were too ‘woke’ for them? It seems to me that there is an element of ‘macho arrogance' culture in this story. What measures our new Chief Constable is going to put in place to sort this out?

How much continued professional development do you think cops - especially Manx cops get? 

The service is woefully under-invested in. Bar stuff like driving and armed policing where you had to be professionally qualified, most of the time you are turning up each day to try your best.

With public finances at a tipping point, that is unlikely to improve. There.are.green shoots of professionalising the service in the field I work in now but it will take time.to filter across the water..

But hey, you could always lobby your MHK for improvements?

1 hour ago, Mr. Sausages said:

Tongue in cheek? So? What? Ironic? Sarcastic? Insincere? I don’t understand how it’s tongue in cheek? Is he trying to look scary and intimidating in an ironic way?

Please explain. What, precisely and specifically, are they trying to achieve?

Do a PR course and you'd better understand.  Currently a lot of it is clunky.and in the UK its people justifying their jobs in massive comms teams.

On island its just people trying their best and sometimes.getting.it wrong..a bit like life really

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

I agree to an extent. I started with a trial page for North and then the main media page. RPU had a presence, and dogs were a PR winner. Individual officers including the chief came on board.

They were doing what cops should be doing - communicating.with their public. In places it loses its way from time to time. My view was inform, educate and advise, and actually give folk an insight. But it's hard work to be across 24/7 without a proper comms team.

You can  keep the criticism up, but what you'll end up with is a closure of Individual accounts, a corporate firewall and then you'll complain that the cops never tell you anything. It's happened elsewhere.

Your choice. But.be careful what you wish for

I sort of agree with what you are saying Derek but it’s Constabulary overload, let’s keep it simple and not overload the party of Social Media, this little issue has highlighted that the accounts need streamlining and a stricter corporate approach needs to be adopted, if not these scenarios will rumble on and on and the boys and girls in blue will continue to be challenged in each section they represent. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

he service is woefully under-invested in

Except that common sense should play a large role in 'their' response???

,,,, and common sense should not have provided 'this' response???

Easy to say in retrospect???

Edited by Kopek
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

On island its just people trying their best and sometimes.getting.it wrong..a bit like life really

This is a massive cop-out. The police shouldn't be using their official media pages to try to be funny, or matey, and they certainly shouldn't be using them to belittle the very people they're purportedly supposed to be protecting.

If I made that mistake in my job, I'd lose my job. As would most of the private sector.

• Thanks 1

That's not really fair, who are these police officers? Are they any different o any member of the public who has applied for a job, nurse, teacher, social worker with some training or do we expect the police to be some super trained elite from the outset???

If they do some facebook faux pas, smack their wrist but don't put them off continuing in their role, police, nurse, teacher etc...

Edited by Kopek
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, HeliX said:

This is a massive cop-out. The police shouldn't be using their official media pages to try to be funny, or matey, and they certainly shouldn't be using them to belittle the very people they're purportedly supposed to be protecting.

If I made that mistake in my job, I'd lose my job. As would most of the private sector.

I think the bar for dismissal needs to be a bit higher than one misguided post.

Let's just put this in absolute context. Cops have been making communication mistakes since their inception..sometimes it is one on one, a poorly drafted email or perhaps just not reading the room. Social media is just modern comms. Sometimes it doesn't go to plan.

Unless of course like some on here, you are perfect and infallible. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

9 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

I think the bar for dismissal needs to be a bit higher than one misguided post.

Let's just put this in absolute context. Cops have been making communication mistakes since their inception..sometimes it is one on one, a poorly drafted email or perhaps just not reading the room. Social media is just modern comms. Sometimes it doesn't go to plan.

Unless of course like some on here, you are perfect and infallible. 

It's not about being perfect, it's about having sensible processes in place. Anything going public from me goes through someone else. And I'm not in a position where I'm supposedly serving the public, where it should be stricter if anything.

The social media faux pas is a side issue.  More fundamental is the culture that has been exposed, where an emergency call was not just disregarded but considered worthy of derision. 

You have to wonder why?  Was it because they were young girls? Would a call from a man in a similar situation be disregarded and derided?  Or from a woman old enough to be their mother?

It has slight overtones of the institutional prejudices and culture which has been called into question recently in various failings and behaviours of officers in UK police forces. 

Or, is it that really the public are just seen as a bit of a nuisance and distraction? 

The matter has been referred to the PCC, I just hope that the enquiry does not focus on the social media policy and use aspects, but more the cultural and attitudinal behaviours that led to the series of decisions not to respond, then deride and finally to post on social media. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, HeliX said:

Well I don’t know what job you are in. But you’re right about how the police should use their official media pages.

But like you say a mistake was made. Having spent my working life in the private sector I doubt that such a mistake would mean I would lose my job ( nor should it). 
A severe reprimand would certainly be in order and a note on the file for this to be considered in the light of any future misdemeanor. 

Much money would have been invested in training this individual who made this comment on social media and he/ she may have an exemplary record prior to this. 

An apology has been made.The mistake has been recognised.

So talk about losing their job as a result of this incident,  in isolation,  is a nonsense. 
We could lose a decent copper ( and God knows we need them) as a result of one lapse of judgement ( and who amongst us can say they have never had one of those)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Gladys said:

Or, is it that really the public are just seen as a bit of a nuisance and distraction? 

Spot on @Gladys

"Just stay at home so we don't have to do our job"

They seem to prefer the "put hats on drunk tourists for photos" side of their work. So much so that they resent their main function.

Screenshot_20230928_133929_Chrome.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The War Memorial you say??? I'm on my way!!!!...... and I'll fight anyone who tries to deprive me of my democratic rights!!!!

Seriously, if the Police didn' t try to stop us doing foolish things, we would decry them for that!!!

I've had good response from the Manx and particularly the Uk Police! There is a lot that we don't see in the background?

and not just the taxis!!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

How much continued professional development do you think cops - especially Manx cops get? 

The service is woefully under-invested in. Bar stuff like driving and armed policing where you had to be professionally qualified, most of the time you are turning up each day to try your best.

With public finances at a tipping point, that is unlikely to improve. There.are.green shoots of professionalising the service in the field I work in now but it will take time.to filter across the water..

But hey, you could always lobby your MHK for improvements?

Thank you, Derek, for the reply.

You will probably be aware that in the UK recent investigations into the Metropolitan Police Service identified a number of shortcomings in their recruitment process – especially where psychological profiling failed to filter out unsuitable candidates, such as: bullies, misogynists, homophobes, racists, etc. What do we do here in this regard, or are suitable new recruits so hard to find that we accept almost everyone who applies?

FTIW, I think that if the two girls who found themselves in distress were two young boys or two transgender persons, the outcome would have been the same. These officers would have slagged them off on social media, something which in itself is an extremely toxic stuff. They should be severely reprimanded for doing that - humiliating private citizens on social media. Being humiliated on social media, the digital ‘home’ for many young people, by someone in authority could potentially be emotionally devastating and make the whole trauma for the two victims even worse. The rates of mental illness in young people are increasing and suicides as a result of being bullied on Internet are not uncommon.  

Before contacting my MHK, I just want to clarify something else. Are you saying that the IOM Constabulary does not have sufficient public funding to conduct regular professional development training courses for all officers, training courses on such topics as; diversity, racism, bullying, social media, etc? And also, has the funding dried up suddenly or has there been a gradual decline over several years?