Andrew Smith is alive!!!

Banker

Just now, Stu Peters said:

Certainly. Many people seem to think that the more vocal an MHK is, the better they are as a politician. In my opinion (and it's only that) the reverse is true. It's the ones who aren't constantly chasing headlines who are doing the most real work. 

do tell us what he has done then please 

Just now, WTF said:

do tell us what he has done then please 

I don't know Andrew particularly well, but I do remember when he was doing a (presumably) well-paid job around 20 years ago within Isle of Man Finance (then financial marketing arm of IOMG). And I know that he now has a particularly heavy workload as a diligent Treasury member. There are things I disagree with him about (that goes for most members) but to suggest he does nothing is reprehensible and ill informed.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Stu Peters said:

Certainly. Many people seem to think that the more vocal an MHK is, the better they are as a politician. In my opinion (and it's only that) the reverse is true. It's the ones who aren't constantly chasing headlines who are doing the most real work. 

You can still be a waste of space using either approach.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Stu Peters said:

Good save!

TBH he comes across fine to me. He was on Moanin line last week and he spoke a lot of sense (IMO of course)

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Stu Peters said:

And I know that he now has a particularly heavy workload as a diligent Treasury member

I think that politicians have a duty to make some attempt to inform the population about what they are doing -  from time to time.

I do not think that the excessive detail that some MHKs produce is worthwhile, and at the other end of the scale, those who make loud noises on Manx Radio are not too impressive either.

Smith does not seem to have either a FaceBook or Twitter account. He has his own website, but that has not been updated for two years. If I search on his name, along with Manx Radio or IoM Newspapers, there is an occasional response, but nothing of any significance.

It would be good of him to give me (and others who are paying his salary) a bit of information about the diligent work he has been doing as a treasury member.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Stu Peters said:

Fair point but without any laws being proposed as you lot have not done, WTF are you lot doing?

I have never thought asking a load of questions was worthwhile but other than Allison's Abortion law, what has been done?

1 hour ago, Stu Peters said:

Fair point but without any laws being proposed as you lot have not done, WTF are you lot doing?

I have never thought asking a load of questions was worthwhile but other than Allison's Abortion law, what has been done?

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

I think that politicians have a duty to make some attempt to inform the population about what they are doing -  from time to time.

I do not think that the excessive detail that some MHKs produce is worthwhile, and at the other end of the scale, those who make loud noises on Manx Radio are not too impressive either.

Smith does not seem to have either a FaceBook or Twitter account. He has his own website, but that has not been updated for two years. If I search on his name, along with Manx Radio or IoM Newspapers, there is an occasional response, but nothing of any significance.

It would be good of him to give me (and others who are paying his salary) a bit of information about the diligent work he has been doing as a treasury member.

Perhaps he should get Rob Callisters advice on weekly blogs, and self promotion. Maybe a bit of crawling, and voting for CM Cannans madcap schemes, he will be made a Minister. It worked for Rob Callister. 

50 minutes ago, 2112 said:

Perhaps he should get Rob Callisters advice on weekly blogs, and self promotion. Maybe a bit of crawling, and voting for CM Cannans madcap schemes, he will be made a Minister. It worked for Rob Callister. 

Only for a couple of weeks...... 😉

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Stu Peters said:

Empty vessels make the most noise

Oh, a bit of Plato, the full version is: an empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers. I wouldn't know this chap from a hole in the ground but he seems to be under attack for criticising a school in his constituency (never a bright move for a politician) that he has not had any contact with. He would seem to have done a fair bit of babbling on this one and shown no wit of any sort in so doing. I can see why you'd admire his political skills. Perhaps a better Plato proverb to have used in this instance would be: 'if a man neglects education he walks lame to the end of his life'. Or how about: 'the measure of a man is what he does with power'. Or better still 'wise men speak because they have something to say, fools speak because they have to say something'. 

He had the measure of his politicians did old Plato.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Stu Peters said:

It’s not that at all. It’s what people actually do. Would you be prepared to offer comment on anything Mr Smith has actually done since 2021? That would at least be helpful. But nobody seems to have the merest clue regarding anything he might have done. The same with Ann Corlett. The pair of them are like Osama Bin Laden hiding out in plain sight going about their business blending into the landscape doing absolutely nothing of any note at all. 

• Haha 1

@Roger Mexico was good enough to post up facts and figures a couple of weeks ago that indicated the dearth of legislation generated by this administration. My own guess is that what is absorbing the time is the firefighting of the financial issues with all departments and Statutory Bodies being required to contribute to the bailout arising from reluctance/failure to previously address the causes.