Andrew Smith is alive!!!

Banker

1 minute ago, Non-Believer said:

My own guess is that what is absorbing the time is the firefighting of the financial issues with all departments and Statutory Bodies being required to contribute to the bailout arising from reluctance/failure to previously address the causes.

They all know this place is totally fucked. Anyone with half a brain can work it out. 

I know nothing about Andrew Smith, as it appears, does anyone else. However, it’s a mistake to judge an administration on the amount of legislation it passes. I don’t want layer upon layer of new legislation; I want attention to Government in form of the delivery of services, efficient use of resources and proper attention to representing the wishes and mandate of the electorate. I’m not sure we have that either. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Stu Peters said:

Certainly. Many people seem to think that the more vocal an MHK is, the better they are as a politician. In my opinion (and it's only that) the reverse is true. It's the ones who aren't constantly chasing headlines who are doing the most real work. 

Within reason, that's right. However, there's not chasing headlines and then there's being totally invisible. That guy who was voted out last time would have been better.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, woolley said:

Within reason, that's right. However, there's not chasing headlines and then there's being totally invisible. That guy who was voted out last time would have been better.

The guy who was voted out was almost exactly the same.  Another local 'pillar of the community' who knew lots of people and got in from that, with no real idea as to what they wanted to see happen to the Island or policies to bring that about.  And no real aim except a well-paid, easy, comfortable job on the way to a comfortable retirement.  The only difference was a very slight one in the size of the moustache.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, GreyWolf said:

An all island vote or 3 super constituencies is the only way to put the brakes on the granny farming

Generally there’s less granny farming in the bigger towns- Ashford in Douglas excepted. The Douglas MHKs are generally pretty competent. It’s the succession of half-witted gobshites that keep getting elected in Garff, Middle, and Glenfaba that worry me.

23 minutes ago, Ringy Rose said:

Generally there’s less granny farming in the bigger towns- Ashford in Douglas excepted. The Douglas MHKs are generally pretty competent. It’s the succession of half-witted gobshites that keep getting elected in Garff, Middle, and Glenfaba that worry me.

I’d like to see that evidenced.

The main issue is electing politicians not on the basis of a deliverable policy framework but choosing, instead, a lot of wannabe’s on the basis of nothing. It’s not really a system designed to produce democracy or proper representation. Maybe fine if your primary interest is having a friend promote your individual interests and getting your bins emptied more frequently, but not much else.

We have had lots of money to play with so it hasn’t mattered so much.  Things have changed. Life and money have become a bit more serious. Serious politicians and serious policy needs to come with it. 

• Thanks 3