Andrew Smith is alive!!!

Banker

3 minutes ago, joebean said:

Serious politicians and serious policy needs to come with it. 

They only way this would be achieved would be take the vote away at retirement age, otherwise we only ever get useless old chuffs who bang on about horsetrams, and old guff.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, HiVibes said:

They only way this would be achieved would be take the vote away at retirement age, otherwise we only ever get useless old chuffs who bang on about horsetrams, and old guff.

Not so. The issue needs fundamental reform of Tynwald, constituencies; voting and the constitution. We have an antiquated system that is largely irrelevant to those without vested interests. Politics and political representation is not about tradition but has to be about being relevant to the current electorate and current issues. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, HiVibes said:

Wrong, old people are the problem and cannot be part of the solution.

I think you have some serious issues. Democracy is about representing the electorate, not just the parts of it you want to be represented. That’s the road to tyranny. It’s not the make-up of the electorate and their views that is the problem; it’s how the views of the electorate are represented in the election process. 
Maybe you need to study politics more. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, joebean said:

I think you have some serious issues. Democracy is about representing the electorate, not just the parts of it you want to be represented. That’s the road to tyranny. It’s not the make-up of the electorate and their views that is the problem; it’s how the views of the electorate are represented in the election process. 
Maybe you need to study politics more. 

The under 16's are not represented in the election system and so old people many of whom are mentally subnormal are over represented, cutting the vote off at retirement after they have had a good innings is rebalancing the system.

8 minutes ago, HiVibes said:

The under 16's are not represented in the election system and so old people many of whom are mentally subnormal are over represented, cutting the vote off at retirement after they have had a good innings is rebalancing the system.

And stop taxing them too? No taxation without representation. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, HiVibes said:

If that is was you truly believe, I’m afraid to tell you that you have the thought processes of someone who is “mentally subnormal”. You might wish to consider (if you can) not voting in future. 

On 10/3/2023 at 11:05 AM, Banker said:

First thing he’s said for years & he couldn’t even be bothered visiting school!!

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/headteacher-says-garff-mhk-did-not-engage-with-the-school-before-making-comments/

That was a really bad move on his behalf and he's picked on the wrong bloke if he thought he'd get an easy ride through his comments about the school and it's management. He doesn't seem to have much support anymore and even his small right wing base seem to have fallen away. The biggest complaint is that he doesn't respond to phone calls or emails, despite people having valid questions that need to be answered, Anything even slightly taxing seems to be ignored, which again, isn't doing him any favours. I can see a whole raft of potential candidates next time standing, just to get rid of him. Not that will make much difference anyway, I fear.

16 minutes ago, Gladys said:

No taxation without representation. 

It's almost worth it to see if the Boomers started a revolution.  They'd be more likely to do so than the younger generation I reckon.  Unless of course, if there was a Tiktok election revolution dance, they could vote with selfies and the voting registration will include 60 different gender options. 

2 minutes ago, HiVibes said:

Why woudl I vote given the choice is which sad old loser do you want to do nothing. Bloody revolution is probably the oly answer.

Russell, is that you? 

"I don't vote because they are all shit".  You won't revolt; you'll just whine.  The only solution is standing yourself or at least backing a candidate that you agree with the most.  Although admittedly there aren't many advocates of the culling of over 65s. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

The guy who was voted out was almost exactly the same.  Another local 'pillar of the community' who knew lots of people and got in from that, with no real idea as to what they wanted to see happen to the Island or policies to bring that about.  And no real aim except a well-paid, easy, comfortable job on the way to a comfortable retirement.  The only difference was a very slight one in the size of the moustache.

I know. So that tells you how good Smith is.