Benefits cheating

joebean

On 10/4/2023 at 1:39 PM, joebean said:

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/benefit-cheat-must-carry-out-200-hours-of-unpaid-work/

It seems to me that the punishment for stealing taxpayer’s money is never a true reflection of the offence. 
Sometimes the statements made by the defence really need to be dismissed as ridiculous by the court. If someone has been defrauding the benefit system for 5 years, before being caught, you can’t really say it’s “out of character”. I’d say 5 years solid offending is very much an indicator of it being in character. 

Who says crime doesn’t pay.

IOM newspapers have a very short memory 

https://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/business/castletown-beauty-shop-grows-out-of-its-old-premises-659033

6 minutes ago, StCatherine said:

Who says crime doesn’t pay.

IOM newspapers have a very short memory 

https://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/business/castletown-beauty-shop-grows-out-of-its-old-premises-659033

Made a mistake.

Got caught.

Got punished in line with the laws of the land.

Served the punishment.

Whats the issue?  You can’t hold people’s mistakes against them for ever.  Its actually illegal and you wouldn’t want to be breaking the law from up there on your high horse would you?

• Confused 1

Just now, CrazyDave said:

Made a mistake.

Got caught.

Got punished in line with the laws of the land.

Served the punishment.

Whats the issue?  You can’t hold people’s mistakes against them for ever.  Its actually illegal and you wouldn’t want to be breaking the law from up there on your high horse would you?

FFS it’s akin to a fucking interest free loan courtesy of the taxpayer! It’s cheating the public, and cheating those who are genuinely in need, sick or vulnerable. 

How many struggling businesses can get access to funding, either through the banks or even IOMG support? 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, woolley said:

Surely it's good if somebody is building a business and employing others?

Generating money for government and the wider economy?  You would thinks so, but apparently not according to some of the high and mighty on here.

59 minutes ago, StCatherine said:

I’m sure plenty of local businesses would be glad of a £30k interest free loan which you can repay at a peppercorn rate.

Both businesses in that unit have done the same now. 

Lots of benefits claimants are doing it, I saw someone I know who is signed off work with permanent back injuries up a ladder painting some flats last week, apparently getting paid cash . When he goes to markwell house he will no doubt get the walking stick out and hobble in!,

2 minutes ago, Banker said:

Lots of benefits claimants are doing it, I saw someone I know who is signed off work with permanent back injuries up a ladder painting some flats last week, apparently getting paid cash . When he goes to markwell house he will no doubt get the walking stick out and hobble in!,

Phone the benefits office then rather than pointlessly moaning on here.

Let them deal with it.

3 minutes ago, Banker said:

FFS that’s rich coming from you!,

Any examples of things I have moaned about that could be sorted with a two minute phone call or a quick email?

If it bothers you, pick the phone up and stop moaning. It’s really that simple 

Just now, CrazyDave said:

Any examples of things I have moaned about that could be sorted with a two minute phone call or a quick email?

Most of what you post 😂

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CrazyDave said:

Christ - how long have you got...

• Like 1