Benefits cheating

joebean

12 hours ago, HeliX said:

Shoplifting to feed your family isn't wrong.

Hiding income to avoid tax when you're wealthy is.

Both wrong.

Food bank, close of business on-date throw away food, bins at the back of Tesco etc - if I were ever in the situation I'd be looking there, and of course friends and family, rather than nicking stuff.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HeliX said:

It's not good, but it's sometimes justified.

If my child needed food and I had no money you better believe I'd steal it.

That's seldom the case though, and as has been said there are always other options. When the law of the jungle takes over, someone bigger and meaner steals it from you.

Edited by woolley
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HeliX said:

It's not good, but it's sometimes justified.

If my child needed food and I had no money you better believe I'd steal it.

Oh, here we go again. Then your child needs a better parent. We have a social security system that will prevent anyone needing food to the extent they need to steal, but apart from that you can get a job that will pay for food for both you and your child.

And I think you will find that any child would rather starve than have their parent steal food for them.

And I think that you will find that any child would have respect for a parent who works to feed them.

1 minute ago, Barlow said:

Oh, here we go again. Then your child needs a better parent. We have a social security system that will prevent anyone needing food to the extent they need to steal, but apart from that you can get a job that will pay for food for both you and your child.

Lots of people fall through the cracks of the benefits system. Sometimes it's not as simple as "just get a job". Who then cares for the child?

It's not as black and white as you'd like to make it.

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Barlow said:

Oh, here we go again. Then your child needs a better parent. We have a social security system that will prevent anyone needing food to the extent they need to steal,

when you get your benefit money and your priorities are booze and fags there may not be enough left over for food,   

Living from benefits was meant to be a safety net for those in most need. Nobody would begrudge them being used in this way. The problem is that benefits have become a lifestyle choice for many and there are many sections of society that view them as an entitlement. With this comes poor lifestyle choices that further increase the demand for benefit handouts and a lack of honesty and attention to making sure that only the actual benefits for which you are eligible are claimed. We have encouraged a cycle of dependency and, often, dishonesty. It’s very difficult to pull it back. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I had hoped, way back at the start of lockdown that people being ordered to stop working and forced on to the MERA pittance, that it might change peoples views on benefits. But then, what actually happened was it was those already skint forced onto £200 per week, while those already doing alright got looked after very well indeed. And so no lessons were learned, the gaps grew wider, and here we are where people continue to speak ignorantly and snobbishly, hating on the poor. Well done everyone.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

I had hoped, way back at the start of lockdown that people being ordered to stop working and forced on to the MERA pittance, that it might change peoples views on benefits. But then, what actually happened was it was those already skint forced onto £200 per week, while those already doing alright got looked after very well indeed. And so no lessons were learned, the gaps grew wider, and here we are where people continue to speak ignorantly and snobbishly, hating on the poor. Well done everyone.

No one is “hating on the poor”  

Just expressing disapproval of dishonesty , fraudulent behaviour and, thereby effectively stealing

• Like 3

1 hour ago, joebean said:

Living from benefits was meant to be a safety net for those in most need. Nobody would begrudge them being used in this way. The problem is that benefits have become a lifestyle choice for many and there are many sections of society that view them as an entitlement. With this comes poor lifestyle choices that further increase the demand for benefit handouts and a lack of honesty and attention to making sure that only the actual benefits for which you are eligible are claimed. We have encouraged a cycle of dependency and, often, dishonesty. It’s very difficult to pull it back. 

Pensions were meant to be a reward for hard work so when the body was completely shagged and the mental function was greatl;y reduced a few years of payments could provide some comfort in the final days, not eak out a miserable life stealing from the working young so you can all drink vodka and go on shitty cruises, thieves the lot of yer.

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, WTF said:

when you get your benefit money and your priorities are booze and fags there may not be enough left over for food,   

Vapes these days of course, plus mobile phone, Netflix, tattoos

eta:

A bit Daily Mail-esque, I know, but how accurate is it.

Edited by Barlow
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Just expressing disapproval of dishonesty , fraudulent behaviour and, thereby effectively stealing

But pretty much only when poor people do it does it become newsworthy. Wealthy people are doing it every single day for much higher sums.

• Like 3