Drug Gangs

La Colombe

1 minute ago, La Colombe said:

Grooming, stabbings, hospitalisations. Really? Is this true? Sounds a bit urban for the island. 

I have heard rumours that this is true.  

I don't see why the Island would be exempt from drug gangs using children in this way.  It is common in the UK and the drugs will be getting supplied from there and the money going back as well.  Children can be incredibly naive and easily won over by the promises of friendship and gifts especially if they have little in the way of love and support from their own families.  They can then be manipulated, bribed and even beaten by the gangs to keep them compliant.

Anyone working with children will undergo safeguarding training which normally includes what to look for in these cases.   

• Thanks 1

I met a lady who was on the Island training the local police in early intervention with youth grooming for OSG's, she was inspirational and had so much hope. She said that if the training she'd given saved just one child from joining a gang, then her time here had been well spent. Not in the least bit judgy or authoritarian, truly lovely lady with a good heart. 

I'm sure we do have children involved in semi gang activity but it is awesome to know that the police are taking things seriously and are educating themselves in early intervention techniques.

I'm with you on the legalisation call but its not going to happen.

• Like 1

Police the ports properly and also police the private planes and boats. I truly believe the govt. is so short sighted not allowing the police these powers. Customs, coastguard and police combined would be a formidable combination against illegal importations.

Oh yes, proper identity checks on everyone entering our country.

Take it or leave it that's the only way to stop illegal drugs.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, doc.fixit said:

Police the ports properly and also police the private planes and boats. I truly believe the govt. is so short sighted not allowing the police these powers. Customs, coastguard and police combined would be a formidable combination against illegal importations.

Oh yes, proper identity checks on everyone entering our country.

Take it or leave it that's the only way to stop illegal drugs.

They have the powers now. It’s all about budget . If they’re manning the ports and the likes they’re not on the beat. Yes I know drugs are a massive problem but unless government give Police a bigger budget it’s not happening. Very sad. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, La Colombe said:

Grooming, stabbings, hospitalisations. Really? Is this true? Sounds a bit urban for the island. 

Of course the real revelation is that we've finally discovered who shops downstairs in the Strand Shopping Centre:

"So many teenagers are being groomed - offered a nice new phone or designer clothes from Flannels in exchange for money laundering and selling drugs"

We do know of at least one recent stabbing though.  But the article represents a very confused viewpoint.  For example these parents:

[...] say they want to see police focussing on 'local dealers not the big top dogs' adding their son was exploited and used as a 'drug runner' - something they only became aware of when he was arrested for drug possession when he was 15. 

So presumably they're asking the police to go after their son rather than the people actually supplying the drugs.