Minor car crash = harsh sentence

CrazyDave

Does anyone else think this seems a bit extreme?

A fine, a 12 month ban, take an extended test and then R plates for an additional two years!

It sounds like a lapse of concentration.  I can’t help thinking he has probably learnt a tough financial lesson already and will be stung with future insurance without needing a ban and two years on R plates as well.

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/ban-for-driver-who-injured-passengers-after-crashing-into-verge

• Like 1

It’s the ‘serious bodily harm’ while driving element. It’s like a bar fight where you throw one punch - and someone gets seriously injured because they fall and hit their head etc. escalates the severity of the initial action in the court’s eyes. In suspect there were witness statements from the passengers that will have contributed to the punishment - but I’m guessing. 

4 minutes ago, Steve_Christian said:

It’s the ‘serious bodily harm’ while driving element. It’s like a bar fight where you throw one punch - and someone gets seriously injured because they fall and hit their head etc. escalates the severity of the initial action in the court’s eyes. In suspect there were witness statements from the passengers that will have contributed to the punishment - but I’m guessing. 

There was only harm because the idiot wasn’t wearing a seatbelt.  Where does personal responsibility come into it?

16 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

Does anyone else think this seems a bit extreme?

A fine, a 12 month ban, take an extended test and then R plates for an additional two years!

It sounds like a lapse of concentration.  I can’t help thinking he has probably learnt a tough financial lesson already and will be stung with future insurance without needing a ban and two years on R plates as well.

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/ban-for-driver-who-injured-passengers-after-crashing-into-verge

He was probably texting and being a complete arse. Lucky he didn't kill someone. Not harsh enough. Get him in the gallows

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

There was only harm because the idiot wasn’t wearing a seatbelt.  Where does personal responsibility come into it?

So far as I'm aware, under law it's the driver's responsibility to ensure everyone is wearing seatbelts. Which may not be entirely fair, but it is how it is.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, HeliX said:

So far as I'm aware, under law it's the driver's responsibility to ensure everyone is wearing seatbelts. Which may not be entirely fair, but it is how it is.

It isn't how it is. Adults aged over 14 (yeah, I know) are responsible for their own seatbelt operational status. 

Edited by La Colombe
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

causing serious bodily harm by driving without due care and consideration is not a minor offence. He’s got off pretty lightly according to the sentencing guidelines.

How many full seat belts does a VW Golf have?

Possibly an indication that R plate drivers or drivers under 25 shouldn’t be able to carry more than 1 passenger under 25  unless they are closely related family members or during limited hours..

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Verdict opens him wide up to a serious insurance claim against him too I imagine...especially with spinal injuries etc. involved.

All too many spoiled R plate drivers on the island these days driving too fast in fast cars that mummy and daddy have bought.

R-plates and the restrictions applied - are there for a reason - a reason like this.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

Verdict opens him wide up to a serious insurance claim against him too I imagine...especially with spinal injuries etc. involved.

All too many spoiled R plate drivers on the island these days driving too fast in fast cars that mummy and daddy have bought.

R-plates and the restrictions applied - are there for a reason - a reason like this.

A golf can cost from about a grand.

At 20 someone can easily be earning 30 k or more.  I have no idea why you would assume people are spoiled or that it has any relevance to this?

You can also crash a car on that road at 50 or less.  In fact some could argue that being limited to 50 makes you less likely to be concentrating than if you were pressing on and enjoying the drive.

30 minutes ago, John Wright said:

causing serious bodily harm by driving without due care and consideration is not a minor offence. He’s got off pretty lightly according to the sentencing guidelines.

How many full seat belts does a VW Golf have?

Possibly an indication that R plate drivers or drivers under 25 shouldn’t be able to carry more than 1 passenger under 25  unless they are closely related family members or during limited hours..

rplate regs arent ebing enfroced as is no chance of coppas looking out for additonal stuff

its up to the driver to make sure  everyone is wearing seatbelts ,  he will have to live with this irresponsible act for the rest of his life , drive hard suffer the consequences 

sentence could have been much harder , but I expect he will find it very hard to get insurance again  for a while 

• Like 1