Minor car crash = harsh sentence

CrazyDave

6 hours ago, CrazyDave said:

A golf can cost from about a grand.

At 20 someone can easily be earning 30 k or more.  I have no idea why you would assume people are spoiled or that it has any relevance to this?

You can also crash a car on that road at 50 or less.  In fact some could argue that being limited to 50 makes you less likely to be concentrating than if you were pressing on and enjoying the drive.

Easily 🥸 are you sure you're not from the planet DED?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, Albert Tatlock said:

Verdict opens him wide up to a serious insurance claim against him too I imagine...especially with spinal injuries etc. involved.

All too many spoiled R plate drivers on the island these days driving too fast in fast cars that mummy and daddy have bought.

R-plates and the restrictions applied - are there for a reason - a reason like this.

Some of the worst driving I have witnessed in the last few months were drivers of cars exhibiting R plates

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, CrazyDave said:

Does anyone else think this seems a bit extreme?

A fine, a 12 month ban, take an extended test and then R plates for an additional two years!

It sounds like a lapse of concentration.  I can’t help thinking he has probably learnt a tough financial lesson already and will be stung with future insurance without needing a ban and two years on R plates as well.

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/ban-for-driver-who-injured-passengers-after-crashing-into-verge

It's not that this is extreme, more like some previous cases have been too lenient

2 hours ago, english zloty said:

Easily 🥸 are you sure you're not from the planet DED?

Anybody with half a brain can walk into a job on 28k regardless of age and past experience.

That includes people at 17 and 47, so bumping it up with a bit of experience isn’t an issue.

9 hours ago, Albert Tatlock said:

Verdict opens him wide up to a serious insurance claim against him too I imagine...especially with spinal injuries etc. involved.

All too many spoiled R plate drivers on the island these days driving too fast in fast cars that mummy and daddy have bought.

R-plates and the restrictions applied - are there for a reason - a reason like this.

More than that, I dare say his insurance policy is now void. Reading the fine print, any car insurance company will tell you of the consequences.

44 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

Anybody with half a brain can walk into a job on 28k regardless of age and past experience.

That includes people at 17 and 47, so bumping it up with a bit of experience isn’t an issue.

I know zero 20 year olds on £28K but know loads of 40-50 year olds who would love to earn that

Edited by english zloty
  • Like 5

a lot of these boy racer accidents could be prevented  if we had a more active traffic police  presence , I am fed up hearing roaring engines with illegal exhaust systems  where the car is mapped so it makes a huge bang every time the car changes gear ,  just makes the idiots drive faster  and to show off , and all highly illegal 

it looks like the police have hibernated  and not interested in preventing road traffic collisions any more , or  having any other presence in the local community  

4 hours ago, Omobono said:

a lot of these boy racer accidents could be prevented  if we had a more active traffic police  presence , I am fed up hearing roaring engines with illegal exhaust systems  where the car is mapped so it makes a huge bang every time the car changes gear ,  just makes the idiots drive faster  and to show off , and all highly illegal 

no different to fitting twin SU carbs   to your  mini 1275 GT with a big bore exhaust and rostyle wheels with wheel spacers and a wheel arch kit and screeching away from the lights back in  the day. 

but i will concede that plod would be up your arse a lot quicker in those good old days.  

Edited by WTF