Tesco buy all nine Shoprite supermarkets- Monopoly?

darenisepic

I wouldn't be surprised, if Tesco paid very much to take over the stores. Isle of Man Enterprises were probably more concerned about getting long (21 year) Leases on the properties, to ensure the companies income over the next couple of decades.

I see Shoprite stores are already stocking Tesco bread.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Gladys said:

@Roger Mexico 

What astonishes me is how Agrimark, or whatever they are called, survives.  

regardless of billys interpersonal skills some stuff is the cheapest you can find on island,  an example that springs to mind is fevertree tonic ,  a big bottle in tescos or shoprite is + 2 quid, a box of 8 from agrimark works out around £1.50 a bottle

3 minutes ago, GreyWolf said:

It’s a wonder the climate board aren’t welcoming this as less local car travel carbon emission win, now every Tesco shopper outside Douglas will in a few months be able to get there shopping nearer home. 

I'm not sure that will work.  Even if the larger Port Erin, Peel and Ramsey shops become 'proper' Tesco stores rather than Expresses, they may not have the same range or choice as Lake Road and people may still be going in there for their main shop if they went before.  And of course the majority of people work in Douglas, so it may still be more convenient to go there before going home.

And the Tesco Expresses won't just be more expensive than the others, they'll have much less range and possibly lack budget lines.  So they may get less use than they did as Shoprite, though they might stock more in the way of convenience food (sandwiches, ready meals) than they did before.  

11 hours ago, Gladys said:

What astonishes me is how Agrimark, or whatever they are called, survives.  

Erm, maybe by being a good business with great value products and a significant trade customer base, in addition to the always busy walk ins who have a good handle on their costs and margins.

Might that be it?

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, WTF said:

regardless of billys interpersonal skills some stuff is the cheapest you can find on island,  an example that springs to mind is fevertree tonic ,  a big bottle in tescos or shoprite is + 2 quid, a box of 8 from agrimark works out around £1.50 a bottle

image.thumb.png.585b62259dd1d10c97b017fa6e34436b.png

The above is 45p more when you login and select Tesco IOM Lake Road

image.thumb.png.0c511a5aed3675785f629b1297700108.png

the above goes up 25p wehen you login and select Tesco IOM Lake Road

image.thumb.png.10dce4760a1b917d885df1bc610e2ae3.png

Agrimark equates to £0.38725/100ml 

Edited by newaccount

18 minutes ago, newaccount said:

image.thumb.png.585b62259dd1d10c97b017fa6e34436b.png

The above is 45p more when you login and select Tesco IOM Lake Road

image.thumb.png.0c511a5aed3675785f629b1297700108.png

the above goes up 25p wehen you login and select Tesco IOM Lake Road

image.thumb.png.10dce4760a1b917d885df1bc610e2ae3.png

Agrimark equates to £0.38725/100ml 

i was referring to the 500ml bottles , 8 in a box,  8 x 500ml bottles = 4 litres ( 4000ml )  , so 4 litres for 12 quid is £3 a litre or £0.3 per 100ml.

1 hour ago, CrazyDave said:

Erm, maybe by being a good business with great value products and a significant trade customer base, in addition to the always busy walk ins who have a good handle on their costs and margins.

Might that be it?

When it was Smylies, retail was not allowed on the Estate, trade only, you applied  to Smylies for a number , supplying headed paper/ invoices as proof and the number used for checkout, seems very antwacky nowadays 😕

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GD4ELI said:

I bet Tesco didn't pay top dollar for this.

The high watermark would have been after the Tesco Express licence refusal for Castletown.

Then Tesco won the application for Strand Shopping Centre and I’ve no doubt the price will have been falling ever since.