Tesco buy all nine Shoprite supermarkets- Monopoly?

darenisepic

5 hours ago, Gladys said:
6 hours ago, Banker said:

Lots of local suppliers won’t make the cut because they won’t be able to meet the exacting requirements for H&S, standards that Tesco demand. probably very few will want to spend the money required to upgrade etc.

That was the reason they stopped stocking Manx meat, wasn't it? 

So it was claimed.  But it's amazing how often H&S standards suddenly become satisfactory once the price to the supermarket drops.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

So it was claimed.  But it's amazing how often H&S standards suddenly become satisfactory once the price to the supermarket drops.

Not with Tesco etc who insist on highest standards for everything & charge you extra if you want listings on their online shopping portal, more will come out on this area soon according to a local supplier 

5 hours ago, NoTail said:

Is a potato from Yorkshire or Spain more reliable than one from Kirk Michael?

Probably inferior, but cheaper.... most limeys are into low costs (low standards being the norm now), not quality. And, to really answer question, yes, Yorkshire and/or Spanish potato supplies would be more reliable. (there's whole lot more of them than there are in KM)

• 3 weeks later...

I thought it was 60 redundancies.    As for potatoes Isle of Man Creamery deliver Manx spuds to your door free and they are great last a lot longer than the imported ones and are not expensive, also Manx eggs, Manx butter, cheese, cream as well as milk.  There is no need to drive to Tesco for any of these commodities.   They are great to deal with as well.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Manxman1234 said:

Is that net of ten after the 90 redundancies ? (Of how ever many there was)

There were 13 immediate redundancies and a further 47, as the transition to Tesco takes effect. I understand that most (all) of these are in central functions such as HR, IT, Purchasing, etc. 

1 minute ago, Nellie said:

There were 13 immediate redundancies and a further 47, as the transition to Tesco takes effect. I understand that most (all) of these are in central functions such as HR, IT, Purchasing, etc. 

And even those offered re-employment may not have been offered the same terms.  And of course not all the 'new' jobs may be full-time.

One interesting fact from the article is that five of the Shoprites will become 'superstores' (presumably the large Douglas, Peel and Ramsey ones plus Port Erin and Onchan) with the other four Expresses (Castletown, and the 'little' Ramsey and Peels ones plus converting Winerite)

1 minute ago, Roger Mexico said:

And even those offered re-employment may not have been offered the same terms.  And of course not all the 'new' jobs may be full-time.

One interesting fact from the article is that five of the Shoprites will become 'superstores' (presumably the large Douglas, Peel and Ramsey ones plus Port Erin and Onchan) with the other four Expresses (Castletown, and the 'little' Ramsey and Peels ones plus converting Winerite)

Yes, that was my interpretation, although I'm not sure what they will convert Winerite to? Is there really demand for an 'Express' half a mile from a 'Superstore'?

I think they use 'Superstore' for what is basically a traditional supermarket. The ones that stock clothing, home furnishings etc are branded 'Extra' which suggests the rumours that they would move into those markets are not correct, at this stage. That said, once the network is up an running, you'd imagine there will be some redistribution of footfall to Victoria Road and Onchan, which may take pressure off Lake Road and enable them to do some different things there.

'Express' stores tend to be more like convenience stores and are usually a bit more expensive. It'll be interesting to see if they keep consistent pricing across all locations. 

It must be an interesting project to work one, weighing their options, deciding on the best approach and creating the business cases.

6 hours ago, Nellie said:

Yes, that was my interpretation, although I'm not sure what they will convert Winerite to? Is there really demand for an 'Express' half a mile from a 'Superstore'?

I think they use 'Superstore' for what is basically a traditional supermarket. The ones that stock clothing, home furnishings etc are branded 'Extra' which suggests the rumours that they would move into those markets are not correct, at this stage. That said, once the network is up an running, you'd imagine there will be some redistribution of footfall to Victoria Road and Onchan, which may take pressure off Lake Road and enable them to do some different things there.

'Express' stores tend to be more like convenience stores and are usually a bit more expensive. It'll be interesting to see if they keep consistent pricing across all locations. 

It must be an interesting project to work one, weighing their options, deciding on the best approach and creating the business cases.

I’m sure the winerite Tesco express will impact the shop on Broadway, one at falcon Glen, one at castlemoana ave, spar castlemoan and at least 2 of them will end up closing through loss of sales 

27 minutes ago, Fred the shred said:

A real grandiose headline Tesco to create 100 new jobs,  to MRadio’s credit and my astonishment they followed the announcement up with so with the 60 redundancies that makes 40 new jobs they have certainly gone up in my estimation they are trying……

Would rather lower prices than more jobs 

23 hours ago, Nellie said:

The big Shoprite Victoria Road will become Tesco home, garden, and clothing I've been told by current Tesco staff, which would make more sense if true.

Edited by slinkydevil
  • Like 1