Tesco buy all nine Shoprite supermarkets- Monopoly?

darenisepic

On 1/29/2024 at 7:12 PM, Gladys said:

Tesco stuff will last many days beyond the sell by date and I tend to judge whether something is good to eat by eye regardless of the date.  I have the heart of a little gem lettuce with a sell by date of 21 Jan that will be fine tomorrow.

Just had the heart of that little gem lettuce, a bit limp, but fine for a bit of green on the side of lunch.  That is 2 weeks beyond the sell by date. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Just had the heart of that little gem lettuce, a bit limp, but fine for a bit of green on the side of lunch.  That is 2 weeks beyond the sell by date. 

Lasted longer than Liz Truss…

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, Gladys said:

I get the bags of salad and have noticed that if you don't open them, they'll last pretty far beyond the sell by date.  However open them and they're done within a couple of days.   Only recently discovered they've got 'modified atmosphere' in the bags.  Extra Nitrogen and Carbon Dioxide and reduced Oxygen. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

I get the bags of salad and have noticed that if you don't open them, they'll last pretty far beyond the sell by date.  However open them and they're done within a couple of days.   Only recently discovered they've got 'modified atmosphere' in the bags.  Extra Nitrogen and Carbon Dioxide and reduced Oxygen. 

Modified atmosphere packaging has been around for around for about 50 years in consumer goods, initially in fresh meat and later other goods.  It's use in the transport of fresh foods goes back even longer and Wiki says the first experiments were in 1821.  They also seem to pack slightly higher than atmospheric pressure for salad stuff to reduce contact bruising and allow for stuff to be refrigerated

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Phantom said:

A folded piece of kitchen towel placed in the clipped bag and will give a couple more days acceptable freshness. 

• Like 7

4 hours ago, Gladys said:

I'd be seeking the services of someone with a Geiger counter if I were you.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, The Phantom said:

Don’t tell the death row people in Alabama this

• Haha 2

On 2/5/2024 at 2:57 PM, The Phantom said:

Do you remember during and after COVID that there was a shortage of carbon dioxide? Most folk wondered why depleted stocks of CO2 was making the news. Now we know.

• Thanks 1