Tesco buy all nine Shoprite supermarkets- Monopoly?

darenisepic

14 minutes ago, Hairy Poppins said:

Dust set off the smoke alarm that started the Co2 extinguishes. 

What's the big issue?

The big issue is it was made out that it was dust . It was most definitely not dust the front of the store was covered in smoke and they had to evacuate the entire store . I don’t think I have ever been in a shop where everyone has had to be evacuated because of heavy smoke right across the store ! 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Hairy Poppins said:

In Peel Shoprite the Manx eggs just sit on the shelf while the Tesco branded boxes sell out. 

It's about what people can afford... £1.90 for a dozen large eggs (Tesco) or £3.50+ for a dozen Manx eggs. 

It’s a shame when all people are worried about is price ! I don’t believe it’s all people can afford maybe some people yes but certainly not everyone. 

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Hairy Poppins said:

Dust set off the smoke alarm that started the Co2 extinguishes. 

What's the big issue?

Do you not think such a thing might extinguish the customers also?

I think you'll find it was a SmokeCloak anti bandit/burglar device that was deployed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hairy Poppins said:

In Peel Shoprite the Manx eggs just sit on the shelf while the Tesco branded boxes sell out. 

It's about what people can afford... £1.90 for a dozen large eggs (Tesco) or £3.50+ for a dozen Manx eggs. 

Not my experience at all.  The Manx eggs seem to sell well but it is much cheaper to get them from the farm direct at one of the numerous honesty boxes around the island.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

52 minutes ago, IOM said:

The big issue is it was made out that it was dust . It was most definitely not dust the front of the store was covered in smoke and they had to evacuate the entire store . I don’t think I have ever been in a shop where everyone has had to be evacuated because of heavy smoke right across the store ! 

it wasn't smoke, it was CO2 , 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WTF said:

it wasn't smoke, it was CO2 , 

Were you there ? When you are there shopping in the store which I was at the time with it pouring out and you are told to evacuate what do you think ? I know it was not smoke now but it looked like it at the time . 

53 minutes ago, IOM said:

Were you there ? When you are there shopping in the store which I was at the time with it pouring out and you are told to evacuate what do you think ? I know it was not smoke now but it looked like it at the time . 

so it took you all day to find that it wasn't actually smoke , well done.

1 minute ago, IOM said:

No it didn’t thankyou what a silly comment ! 

2 hours ago, IOM said:

according to this 2 hours old post where you said 'covered in smoke'  tells me that 2 hours ago you were still under the impression it was smoke.  that counts as all day in my books., thanks for your silly maths.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, WTF said:

according to this 2 hours old post where you said 'covered in smoke'  tells me that 2 hours ago you were still under the impression it was smoke.  that counts as all day in my books., thanks for your silly maths.

Ok if you are really being pedantic I should have said it my earlier post it appeared to be smoke ! Whatever it did not look good at the time . Were you there to see it all you never answered that question ? 

It's definitely Tesco Express prices.  Nearly everything is 10-15% more expensive (min 10p) than in Lake Road, which means that the Coop is going to be more competitive - though the prices may still be less than they were in Shoprite.  In addition they don't carry much in the way of the Tesco budget lines (eg Growers' Harvest), so someone shopping on a budget is going to lose out both ways.  

Obviously on individual items it's not a lot, but its' not going to tempt anyone to switch their weekly shop from Lake Road or Port Erin, possibly the opposite because with the same product lines you can see how much extra it is.  Tesco Expresses aren't really meant to of course, but whether there is enough business in Castletown to support another convenience store is something else.

There's actually less in terms of freezer space than before and I think in chilled areas as well.  Which struck me as odd because I would have thought that ready meals and the like were important in such stores.

10 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

It's definitely Tesco Express prices.  Nearly everything is 10-15% more expensive (min 10p) than in Lake Road, which means that the Coop is going to be more competitive - though the prices may still be less than they were in Shoprite.  In addition they don't carry much in the way of the Tesco budget lines (eg Growers' Harvest), so someone shopping on a budget is going to lose out both ways.  

Obviously on individual items it's not a lot, but its' not going to tempt anyone to switch their weekly shop from Lake Road or Port Erin, possibly the opposite because with the same product lines you can see how much extra it is.  Tesco Expresses aren't really meant to of course, but whether there is enough business in Castletown to support another convenience store is something else.

There's actually less in terms of freezer space than before and I think in chilled areas as well.  Which struck me as odd because I would have thought that ready meals and the like were important in such stores.

As I have previously said (and been flamed for) they have completely misread the local market.

I can only surmise Alfie has convinced them that there's hundreds of thousands customers hiding out there!

22 minutes ago, IOM said:

Ok if you are really being pedantic I should have said it my earlier post it appeared to be smoke ! Whatever it did not look good at the time . Were you there to see it all you never answered that question ? 

my presence or lack of has nothing to do with what  you claimed in your post

• Sad 1