Tesco buy all nine Shoprite supermarkets- Monopoly?

darenisepic

40 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

AFAIK Shoprite are not the landlords of Village Walk.

It used to be Isle of Man Enterprises, Shoprite parent company. They bought from the original owners, Manx & Overseas, which owned or leased or ran, Gellings, Bay Queen, Golf Links and a rag tag and bobtail of other businesses.

4 minutes ago, John Wright said:

It used to be Isle of Man Enterprises, Shoprite parent company. They bought from the original owners, Manx & Overseas, which owned or leased or ran, Gellings, Bay Queen, Golf Links and a rag tag and bobtail of other businesses.

It's still IOME.

47 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

AFAIK Shoprite are not the landlords of Village Walk.

Yes Shoprite or their lot own it, they have a DR site up there. The point I was making was the old Shoprite up there has been empty for decades as it's not much good for anything else, as would the other Supermarkets have been had they decided to close without this deal.

I was simply pointing out that the deal has probably worked out extremely well for Shoprite, and Tesco for that matter. For the island, not so much IMHO.

2 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

Or any other retailer for that matter.

Indeed, it will probably deter Lidl or Aldi from making an investment in the island. 

I wondered if the Covid vaccination centre, formerly Safeway would ever be occupied by a supermarket again? 

1 minute ago, A fool and his money..... said:

Yes Shoprite or their lot own it, they have a DR site up there. The point I was making was the old Shoprite up there has been empty for decades as it's not much good for anything else, as would the other Supermarkets have been had they decided to close without this deal.

I was simply pointing out that the deal has probably worked out extremely well for Shoprite, and Tesco for that matter. For the island, not so much IMHO.

Yes, the old Shoprite/Celtic Trader unit in Village Walk has been vacant for a number of years. I always thought it would make a good space for a keep fit, gym or dance studio. Or even a space for shared offices for start-ups etc.  

• Like 1

The Village Walk unit  was probably left vacant to avoid competition especially in view of the small Shoprite on the site?

In Port Erin  the old Iceland was also left empty, said to be a larger site for the PE Coop to move into but again, competition! Also a vacant lot, wooded, in PE which Shoprite have refused to sell or develop.

So, has there been 'stifling' for some time???

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Max Power said:

Indeed, it will probably deter Lidl or Aldi from making an investment in the island. 

I wondered if the Covid vaccination centre, formerly Safeway would ever be occupied by a supermarket again? 

Needs a lot of work I think, and it's owned by the DOI, so they'll probably ignore it until they can pay a consultant to tell them it needs knocking down.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Max Power said:

Have either ever shown any interest at all?  There was a rumour once, but not sure how founded in fact it was. 

1 minute ago, Gladys said:

Have either ever shown any interest at all?  There was a rumour once, but not sure how founded in fact it was. 

I don't think they have Gladys, one of them was approached for comment when they announced a whole raft of new stores, but diplomatically said, not this time but they wouldn't rule it out in the future. 

I think the costs of shipping and stocking and their overall business model wouldn't work here, not enough people and too many competitors.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Max Power said:

I don't think they have Gladys, one of them was approached for comment when they announced a whole raft of new stores, but diplomatically said, not this time but they wouldn't rule it out in the future. 

I think the costs of shipping and stocking and their overall business model wouldn't work here, not enough people and too many competitors.

Thanks, Max, thought not and you are probably right on the reasons, added to which I suspect they will look at how scattered the population is too.  So even if we qualify as a small UK town in total population, the area is huge.  They probably look at high density, high populations as their model. 

In todays news that Aldi plan a massive expansion, new stores and 5000 jobs!

So, time to start another rumour or at lease hope one for us?

I would certainly use Aldi, find their store perfectly adequate.

• Like 2