Tesco buy all nine Shoprite supermarkets- Monopoly?

darenisepic

3 minutes ago, Fred the shred said:

They have increased the price of my favourite wine by £1 in the last couple of weeks so not impressed.     On the other hand the staff are far better off financially so that is all good.

Good point.

2 minutes ago, IOM said:

I understand all of this I completely get there are additional costs . But ultimately it’s the customers that lose out ( actually those that shopped at Lake Road and online ) . But why on earth would customers care about their operating model and costs its what happens when they go in store that matters !

A few weeks ago I heard one MHK on Manx Radio trumpeting the acquisition saying it’s ok Tesco have said they will take over Shoprite and charge a few pennies for carriage !!!! Personally I think 5p-25p premiums on the majority of products is more than a few pennies ! 

Is there a 5-25p premium on most items at Lake Road? I’ve noticed a 2-3% increase on something’s.

I tend to shop on line for delivery. The biggest increases have been non IoM distribution inflationary ones.

I hope I’m canny in my shopping habits. If something is on special I’ll get two ( or more  ) and top up the store cupboard. So I keep an eye out for club card or special deals.

I suppose it’s disappointing for those of us who never frequented Shoprite, but for the IoM it’s the overall situation. Even if IoM Tesco charges more than it did, as long as it averages out lower than Shoprite, well, that’s a plus for more than half the population.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, John Wright said:

That’ll depend on the terms of the deal with Shoprite, and how long the lease they’ve taken on Wilson’s is for.

Of course but if it doesn't work for them operationally then I'm sure they'll take the necessary steps and legal/financial arrangements to make sure it happens. 

11 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

Of course but if it doesn't work for them operationally then I'm sure they'll take the necessary steps and legal/financial arrangements to make sure it happens. 

What makes you think Wilson’s won’t be suitable, operationally?

47 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Even if IoM Tesco charges more than it did, as long as it averages out lower than Shoprite, well, that’s a plus for more than half the population.

There is no way the Express stores are going to average out less than Shoprite, so that’s a hit for a portion of the population, and the most vulnerable at that.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, John Wright said:

What makes you think Wilson’s won’t be suitable, operationally?

As far as I recall Wilson's doesn't have a docking facility to roll cages on/off and probably height restrictions for stacking. Plus I think they might struggle with mega trailers around there.   

2 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

As far as I recall Wilson's doesn't have a docking facility to roll cages on/off and probably height restrictions for stacking. Plus I think they might struggle with mega trailers around there.   

It's currently being altered to accommodate double decked trailers.

49 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Is there a 5-25p premium on most items at Lake Road? I’ve noticed a 2-3% increase on something’s.

Even if IoM Tesco charges more than it did, as long as it averages out lower than Shoprite, well, that’s a plus for more than half the population.

Yes there is a 5p-25p premium on most items i gave already demonstrated that in earlier posts . And if you don’t believe me look it up online you can compare the Lake Road price to any Uk supermarket very easily . I will however accept the premium is not in Aldi price match lines ( about 500 products ) and Club card special offers . But that leaves about 15000 lines to vary and I very much doubt you can do all your shopping made up of entirely Aldi price match and offers . 

There is no way it will even out . For start as  @CrazyDavepoints out there is the Express premium . Then factor in that Lake Road was pumping through very high volumes ( in store and online ) they were very likely selling more than Shoprite combined. Add all that together and there is no way that evens out . 

3 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

Is it? Well that paints a different picture. Having said that, I don't think it's the best place to service the rest of the Island.

It's served Shoprite fine for 50 years?

Tesco spreadable butter £2.09 in Lake Road £2.40 in Castletown         39p dearer

3chicks egg whites  £3.70 in Lake Road £4.20 in Castletown                 50p dearer 

bananas 30p each  Castletown opposed to 85p for a bunch 4/5/6 depending on size in Lake road 

lack of own brand items too 

Was so pleased Tesco bought shoprite but feel disappointed now .

yes it’s an express so slightly dearer but as quoted above quite a lot

Too many ready meals 

6 minutes ago, Manxmare said:

Tesco spreadable butter £2.09 in Lake Road £2.40 in Castletown         39p dearer

3chicks egg whites  £3.70 in Lake Road £4.20 in Castletown                 50p dearer 

bananas 30p each  Castletown opposed to 85p for a bunch 4/5/6 depending on size in Lake road 

lack of own brand items too 

Was so pleased Tesco bought shoprite but feel disappointed now .

yes it’s an express so slightly dearer but as quoted above quite a lot

Too many ready meals 

Yes and whilst the spreadable butter on this list is the same as across given its price matched to Aldi the egg whites is £3.50 across and the bananas 75p-78p so there are the  additional premiums I referred to just in that shopping list .  

24 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

Is it? Well that paints a different picture. Having said that, I don't think it's the best place to service the rest of the Island.

Where else would you put it? It’s close to the harbour and it’s at the very centre of the distribution network.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, IOM said:

Yes there is a 5p-25p premium on most items

You’ve checked all 15,000, then. Neither have I.  I occasionally change store, just to see. I’ve still found very few with a premium. I have a standard basket that I start all shops with, as you say, comparing is easy. 

23 minutes ago, IOM said:

already demonstrated that in earlier posts .

For a very few items.

24 minutes ago, IOM said:

For start as  @CrazyDavepoints out there is the Express premium

It’ll still be cheaper, fresher, and better quality than Shoprite

We shall have to see when they’ve done all the conversions and got their new EPOS/stock control computer system in place. Then give it a few months. 

28 minutes ago, IOM said:

Then factor in that Lake Road was pumping through very high

I’m pretty certain they’ll want to divert some of Lake Road footfall to Vic Road. I think you’re wrong on pre takeover market share. Suspect it was about even.

1 minute ago, John Wright said:

You’ve checked all 15,000, then. Neither have I.  I occasionally change store, just to see. I’ve still found very few with a premium. I have a standard basket that I start all shops with, as you say, comparing is easy. 

For a very few items.

It’ll still be cheaper, fresher, and better quality than Shoprite

We shall have to see when they’ve done all the conversions and got their new EPOS/stock control computer system in place. Then give it a few months. 

I’m pretty certain they’ll want to divert some of Lake Road footfall to Vic Road. I think you’re wrong on pre takeover market share. Suspect it was about even.

No I have not checked all 15000 but I took a random sample of 50 and they carried the premium . I don’t agree about even market share and nor do I think that Express stores will be cheaper than Shoprite my experience of shopping in Castletown would not support that . In fact it’s now the case that quite a few lines are now cheaper in Castletown Coop . And from my experience Tesco quality is very average ( nothing bad but certainly not exceptional) .