Tesco buy all nine Shoprite supermarkets- Monopoly?

darenisepic

34 minutes ago, John Wright said:

You’ve checked all 15,000, then. Neither have I

I have checked about 50 random items that aren’t price matched.

Every single one has been more at Lake Road than any randomly selected superstore in the UK, including the Highlands and Islands and some several pounds more expensive.

I don’t know why people are trying so hard to suggest it isn’t the case 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fred the shred said:

They have increased the price of my favourite wine by £1 in the last couple of weeks so not impressed.     On the other hand the staff are far better off financially so that is all good.

And the staff I recognise from Vic Road look a lot happier and 'proud', if you know what I mean. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, CrazyDave said:

There is no way the Express stores are going to average out less than Shoprite, so that’s a hit for a portion of the population, and the most vulnerable at that.

Why are they the most vulnerable? 

Even if that argument is right, those same people will have been taking it up the rear from Shoprite. 

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Why are they the most vulnerable? 

Even if that argument is right, those same people will have been taking it up the rear from Shoprite. 

Because the people who will shop in the express stores, are either going to be the ones who don’t care about the extra cost for the convenience, or the ones who due to mobility issues/lack of a car etc , don’t have the option.

People who are mobile and can afford a car/bus/taxi will just go to a bigger store.  Not everyone has that luxury.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Gladys said:

And the staff I recognise from Vic Road look a lot happier and 'proud', if you know what I mean. 

I hope they are paying more than they do in the Uk then, because this was an announcement last week.

Tesco has reached a pay rise agreement with the Usdaw union that will significantly increase the hourly pay for colleagues in stores from £11.02 to £12.02 per hour – above the 2024 'real' Living Wage outside London.”

Just now, CrazyDave said:

Because the people who will shop in the express stores, are either going to be the ones who don’t care about the extra cost for the convenience, or the ones who due to mobility issues/lack of a car etc , don’t have the option.

People who are mobile and can afford a car/bus/taxi will just go to a bigger store.  Not everyone has that luxury.  

Yes, I get that, but they will have been going to Shoprite previously which was more expensive.

Apart from that, Tesco may now increase their delivery service which will benefit those vulnerable  people. 

Just now, Gladys said:

Yes, I get that, but they will have been going to Shoprite previously which was more expensive.

Apart from that, Tesco may now increase their delivery service which will benefit those vulnerable  people. 

I am not sure you can qualify that Shoprite would have been more expensive than Tesco Express. From my view of Castletown it’s considerably more expensive than Shoprite was . 

1 minute ago, Gladys said:

I honestly don’t think. Shoprite was more expensive than the Express stores.

@TheTeapot hates everything I post. But has been saying the same about how expensive the new Castletown store is.

• Like 1