Tesco buy all nine Shoprite supermarkets- Monopoly?

darenisepic

2 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Comment away, but be prepared when someone takes a different view. 

I don't think I have said people should stop commenting, but have said these comments would be better addressed to Tesco. 

I am very happy to listen to others views everyone has a right to an opinion . I think your posts could be interpreted as suggesting people should not be posting here but maybe that’s just me . And I agree the comments should be addressed to Tesco as well . 

• Thanks 1

I think people are deciding. 

I was in Tesco around 10 am Sunday morning.absolutely rammed with customers.All checkout open and very short waiting times ,excellent. Chatting to the cashier she said she was from Port Erin and was going to work in Victoria Rd next week when reopened ,seemed very happy . Seemed to me to be happy customers and happy staff. 

The 25 per cent discount on 6 bottles of wine was helping 😊

3 hours ago, Happier diner said:

There is nothing to stop other competitors. They choose not to. They are not stopped. There is no anti competition. 

Its not ideal though and we can only hope that tesco do not seek to exploit the situation

Sadly I think they will and for as long as they can. It's the way of the business world. 

43 minutes ago, emesde said:

I think people are deciding. 

I was in Tesco around 10 am Sunday morning.absolutely rammed with customers.All checkout open and very short waiting times ,excellent. Chatting to the cashier she said she was from Port Erin and was going to work in Victoria Rd next week when reopened ,seemed very happy . Seemed to me to be happy customers and happy staff. 

The 25 per cent discount on 6 bottles of wine was helping 😊

Yes, the former Shoprite staff do appear happy and also look like they have been given a confidence boost.  There is one chap I recognise who was always quite sullen in Shoprite (probably a defence mechanism)  but the several times I have seen him in Tesco, he was smiling.  They have probably got much more support from a large HR dept. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gladys said:

Yes, the former Shoprite staff do appear happy and also look like they have been given a confidence boost.  There is one chap I recognise who was always quite sullen in Shoprite (probably a defence mechanism)  but the several times I have seen him in Tesco, he was smiling.  They have probably got much more support from a large HR dept. 

I got the same impression, and know from some of them directly that they think Tesco is a nicer place to work.

• Like 2

so how any co ops do we have on island ?   more than tescos, i got to 11 , nobody whining about them having so many outlets the same as no one was whining about shoprite having so may outlets until the name change.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, WTF said:

so how any co ops do we have on island ?   more than tescos, i got to 11 , nobody whining about them having so many outlets the same as no one was whining about shoprite having so may outlets until the name change.

It’s not just about the number of shops it’s about the square footage and the extent of the offer . And whilst Shoprite existed you could choose Tesco , Shoprite or M and S to do a big shop so three facias now it’s only two . 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Fred the shred said:

At least the Coop’s charge the same price for items in all their stores be they big or small or situated in the City or the country.

there used to be a difference between the large Ramsey shop and the smaller Peel shop - might have changed tho as I don't use the Ramsey store much these days

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Frances said:

there used to be a difference between the large Ramsey shop and the smaller Peel shop - might have changed tho as I don't use the Ramsey store much these days

Was still different last time I was in and vary between sites, will be interesting to see how coop react this new competition. 
can Michael street in peel support a Tesco and a coop 

• Thanks 1