Tesco buy all nine Shoprite supermarkets- Monopoly?

darenisepic

24 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Frankly, shoppers shouldn't assume that any supermarkets are doing them a favour.  I always slide those cardboard sleeves to one side to see what is actually in the package.  I also look at the weight. It takes a moment. 

I peel my bananas before weighing them in

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

10 hours ago, woolley said:

Many of the prices in Tesco superstores here are the same as in the UK, including Aldi price matches, Clubcard offers and others.

Bearing in mind there are about 600 Aldi price match lines circa 7000 Club card offers and around 25000 products in the store that’s a mere 17400 prices that are more expensive than the U.K. ! 

10 hours ago, woolley said:

It's well known. They try to put a product out to match the price of the discounter while bearing the costs of a full service supermarket. Some of the products that are scraping to make a margin are BOUND to have a compromised specification. Not rocket science.

I think you are missing the point . What they are getting at is that it’s not really a match if the product is not the same ! And why does the customer care or even want to know about their margins and that they are BOUND to have a compromised specification ! That’s Tescos problem if they insist on having the same price as Aldi !!!!!

35 minutes ago, IOM said:

Bearing in mind there are about 600 Aldi price match lines circa 7000 Club card offers and around 25000 products in the store that’s a mere 17400 prices that are more expensive than the U.K. ! 

How do you draw that conclusion from what @woolley posted.

8 minutes ago, John Wright said:

How do you draw that conclusion from what @woolley posted.

It’s pretty obvious but for the avoidance of doubt . They quote that many offers are the same price as the U.K. and specifically references Aldi price match and Club Card offers (  which is fact ) There are around 25000 products in the store maybe more. The remaining lines are more expensive and that’s a fact as evidenced by any check between the pricing in a U.K. store and the pricing in a superstore here in the Isle of Man ! 

35 minutes ago, IOM said:

It’s pretty obvious but for the avoidance of doubt . They quote that many offers are the same price as the U.K. and specifically references Aldi price match and Club Card offers (  which is fact ) There are around 25000 products in the store maybe more. The remaining lines are more expensive and that’s a fact as evidenced by any check between the pricing in a U.K. store and the pricing in a superstore here in the Isle of Man ! 

Your comprehension of what @woolley posted is defective. There some items more expensive, some offers not available here, but the vast majority of the 25,000 are the same price.

Ive a basket filled ready to order 4 weeks before I arrive home. I’ve just checked cost of basket if I did collect by car on Friday this week at both IoM and Carnforth. On a basket over £200 there’s less than 1%, some items are cheaper in IoM basket. The biggest variance was £1 on a case of 24 Diet Pepsi £11.50 here and £10.50 in Carnforth. There were 2 in my basket, so that’s the 1%.

51 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Your comprehension of what @woolley posted is defective. There some items more expensive, some offers not available here, but the vast majority of the 25,000 are the same price.

Ive a basket filled ready to order 4 weeks before I arrive home. I’ve just checked cost of basket if I did collect by car on Friday this week at both IoM and Carnforth. On a basket over £200 there’s less than 1%, some items are cheaper in IoM basket. The biggest variance was £1 on a case of 24 Diet Pepsi £11.50 here and £10.50 in Carnforth. There were 2 in my basket, so that’s the 1%.

Sorry but it’s your analysis that is defective. I have just carried out a small shop using an Isle of Man address it was £40.10 and using a U.K. address the exact same basket is £38.14. That’s a 5% difference by my reckoning. And yes I deliberately avoided Club Card offers and Aldi price match products in this basket to prove the point ! 

37 minutes ago, IOM said:

Sorry but it’s your analysis that is defective. I have just carried out a small shop using an Isle of Man address it was £40.10 and using a U.K. address the exact same basket is £38.14. That’s a 5% difference by my reckoning. And yes I deliberately avoided Club Card offers and Aldi price match products in this basket to prove the point ! 

John will have included clubcard offers.

You are right that if people just do a standard shop and aren’t picking up the offers then here is more expensive than UK.

Personally, I won’t shop there if I can avoid simply because they are charging people in the Expresses and Onchan a lot more than they do the people who can get to the bigger stores.

I don’t care if this is what they do in the UK.  As a switch from Shoprite it’s a big negative for the people who live near the smaller store so I will use Robinsons, co-op and farm shops, butchers, fish mongers etc wherever I can.  They are also a nicer shopping experience in my opinion.

At the end of the day it’s consumer choice, and my choice is to support everywhere other than Tesco to give those places a better chance of surviving and leaving us with a choice in the future.

I also expect the smaller Tesco stores will gradually have less and less variety and be gone in a few years as people simply won’t use them.  The express in Peel will be deserted when the big one opens.  The Express in Ramsey already is

Edited by Tinpot
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, IOM said:

It was your interpretation of what @woolley posted that is defective.

Its perfectly possible for two people to shop two different baskets and come up with different results and draw differing conclusions..

Mine was just what I’d already loaded, no, not random, but a weekly shop plus extras I want to top up after 6 weeks away. Yours is deliberately slanted by you to exclude certain items. 

Neither shop allows you to say that 17,000+ items on IoM cost more than in England. That’s your claim. You’ve nothing to back it up. Your methodology is suspect. It always has been. Your sample size is too small.

Ive never disputed that there are ups and downs, variations. That happens across the regions in the UK. 

What you’ve never been able to accept in this debate is shopper behaviour. People do look at prices, and use Club Card and special offers to shape their choice.

If the Pepsi is still £11.50 I’ll delete the day before delivery, and wait for it to be the £6.50 to £7.50 it is on club card special offer. In which case the cost of my shop will be the same here or at Carnforth.