Tesco buy all nine Shoprite supermarkets- Monopoly?

darenisepic

Blimey.  Am I the only person on here not drawing a pension?

It might explain some of the views and opinions expressed.

It’s a shame there isn’t more of a cross section of the population.  Maybe the mods could post on one of the local facebook groups encouraging people to sign up here?  There are specific groups for people with a young family for example that might bring a bit more life and vigour (and less outdated opinions) to the table.

1 hour ago, CrazyDave said:

It’s a shame there isn’t more of a cross section of the population.  Maybe the mods could post on one of the local facebook groups encouraging people to sign up here?  There are specific groups for people with a young family for example that might bring a bit more life and vigour (and less outdated opinions) to the table.

What attracted you here Dave?

1 hour ago, CrazyDave said:

I am not very young, but still working a full-time job, years away from any pension. I still think (and hope) that Tesco buying out Shoprite is a good move, considering we still have family to feed.

• Like 1

The redundancies have started 😪 I expect new broom is the way most takeovers go but if it is to affect up to 60 of management that is a lot of families that are going to suffer. I doubt there will be many similar jobs locally that they can get so some may have to move off Island.    Who will be filling their shoes ?   I doubt the present Tesco management team will be able to absorb all the extra work load.  Will Tesco be filling the voids with staff they employ over the water ?     Work permits permitting of course.     The Chamber of Commerce have been campaigning recently regarding work permits which they say is imperative to the hospitality industry, I wouldn’t have thought staffing would be a problem this time of year apart from a burst of trade around Xmas in fact restaurants are looking quite empty apart from weekends especially at lunch times.    I used to be a very trusting person  now not so much.

36 minutes ago, Fred the shred said:

The redundancies have started 😪 I expect new broom is the way most takeovers go but if it is to affect up to 60 of management that is a lot of families that are going to suffer. I doubt there will be many similar jobs locally that they can get so some may have to move off Island.    Who will be filling their shoes ?   I doubt the present Tesco management team will be able to absorb all the extra work load.  Will Tesco be filling the voids with staff they employ over the water ?     Work permits permitting of course.     The Chamber of Commerce have been campaigning recently regarding work permits which they say is imperative to the hospitality industry, I wouldn’t have thought staffing would be a problem this time of year apart from a burst of trade around Xmas in fact restaurants are looking quite empty apart from weekends especially at lunch times.    I used to be a very trusting person  now not so much.

Most of the office jobs will go. Tesco will run things like finance, procurement, HR from England. There will still need to be store managers and assistant store managers on island. If there was 60 before I estimate no more than 10 will be needed on island.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Most of the office jobs will go. Tesco will run things like finance, procurement, HR from England. There will still need to be store managers and assistant store managers on island. If there was 60 before I estimate no more than 10 will be needed on island.

Store managers aren’t included.  There are at least 60 relatively immediate redundancies 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

47 minutes ago, Fred the shred said:

Redundancies mean no one will be filling their shoes, that is what redundancy means - the post is redundant. 

Very sad and I feel for those affected, but at least they will get their full redundancy entitlement (statutory and any contractual on top) which may not be the case if Shoprite went into liquidation. 

1 minute ago, Gladys said:

Redundancies mean no one will be filling their shoes, that is what redundancy means - the post is redundant. 

Very sad and I feel for those affected, but at least they will get their full redundancy entitlement (statutory and any contractual on top) which may not be the case if Shoprite went into liquidation. 

It does. However the procedure is that the company has to give notice of risk of redundancy to all the staff. They then have to consult and attempt to find alternate roles during that period. I know it's probably not much consolation, but some staff might be redeployed to different roles.

• Confused 1

7 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Is there any suggestion anywhere that there was even the slightest risk of them going into liquidation?