Tesco buy all nine Shoprite supermarkets- Monopoly?

darenisepic

1 minute ago, TheTeapot said:

40p difference in price on manx butter between the coop and tesco in castletown. Its completely absurd.

I bought a box of cereal yesterday it was £3 on offer in the coop normal price £4.15. Same item in Shoprite was £4.30 so even the base price of that item is significantly higher than the coop. 

1 hour ago, TheTeapot said:

It's loads worse. The pricing on much of the stock is insane, and keeps going up every time I go in. Items I bought two weeks ago are 40-50p more this week.

I know 'its an express' etc, but its still absolutely disgusting what they've done. 

There are some bonkers mark-ups (over Lake Road) that look like mistakes salami on 60% over or so for instance.  I hardly go in at all now unless the Coop has run out.  And I seem to be going to Lake Road more if anything.

46 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

I did buy 4 cans of Brewdogs fake Guinness in tesco for £4 tbf. Single cans are £2.

An example of a Clubcard offer that Castletown are duplicating then.  But there's not that many of them (admittedly when it first opened there were none).

59 minutes ago, IOM said:

Yes and the government let it happen because they did not have the legislation in place . Not even any checks on them to ensure they pegged themselves to a fixed percentage to across so they have license to do whatever they like . All those who think they are the big “saviours “will soon find out ! 

Thankfully it has been one thing IOMG hasn't been able to fuck about with.

The deal would have been dead in the water by the time they had tried to influence the outcome. Shoprites owners would have lost out and nobody would have been any better off. 

Now there's someone with global reach with skin in the game. Hopefully their influence might rub off 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, NoTailT said:

How was it? Tempted to try it.

Its alright yeah, if you like stout. There's maybe a little more liquorice or something like that in the background flavour over Guinness but the gas in the can is not as good, which affects it. At a pound a can its well worth a go, but if it was priced the same as the original then I wouldn't choose it. 

1 hour ago, Derek Flint said:

Thankfully it has been one thing IOMG hasn't been able to fuck about with.

The deal would have been dead in the water by the time they had tried to influence the outcome. Shoprites owners would have lost out and nobody would have been any better off. 

Now there's someone with global reach with skin in the game. Hopefully their influence might rub off 

Are you serious ? Tesco are adding a premium of 5p-25p on the vast majority of Lake Road prices which will for sure translate to the converted stores . That’s before you add a further premium of 10-15% on for the Express stores . Tell me the advantages that brings ? They may have global reach but the only place it goes is into their profit pool currently about £2.7bn! I suspect when the conversions are complete the prices will be at or even higher than Shoprite it’s more a case of be careful what you wish for ! 

2 hours ago, IOM said:

Yes I went in there and compared some of the prices to the Tesco Express and they were cheaper on a quite a few . As I have posted previously if you have the time it’s worth shopping around don’t believe the marketing hype of Tesco it’s all smoke and mirrors ! 

They haven't marketed any hype or smoke and mirrors.  However, most consumers, including myself,  have become fed up of the rip off that was 'Manx to the Max'.  Tesco are not the saviour but their range, quality and pricing are better than Shoprite's offering.  That is hardly surprising given their buying power. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Gladys said:

They haven't marketed any hype or smoke and mirrors.  However, most consumers, including myself,  have become fed up of the rip off that was 'Manx to the Max'.  Tesco are not the saviour but their range, quality and pricing are better than Shoprite's offering.  That is hardly surprising given their buying power. 

You will see in time what happens . Of course they have buying power but watch will happen to island pricing in the future it’s already happening. I was no advocate of Manx to the Max either but I rather suspect the replacement is not going to do what people thought it would . Already those who shopped in Tesco Lake Road and online are paying a premium! As for ranging they currently don’t stock Andrea’s sausages or ham and very little Manx meat so am not sure what the benefit is the . As for quality it’s distinctively average from my experience .
Don’t get me wrong though it’s a well run business that makes a lot of money for its shareholders! 

If anyone wants a decent chance of a seat in the Keys in the next parliament, they might do well to invite over some Lidl and/or Aldi directors for an all-expenses-paid TT week jolly and TV documentary opportunity.

• Haha 3

14 minutes ago, IOM said:

You will see in time what happens . Of course they have buying power but watch will happen to island pricing in the future it’s already happening. I was no advocate of Manx to the Max either but I rather suspect the replacement is not going to do what people thought it would . Already those who shopped in Tesco Lake Road and online are paying a premium! As for ranging they currently don’t stock Andrea’s sausages or ham and very little Manx meat so am not sure what the benefit is the . As for quality it’s distinctively average from my experience .
Don’t get me wrong though it’s a well run business that makes a lot of money for its shareholders! 

Of course it is a successful business and you could be right that prices will rise. 

However, what is the alternative?  Shoprite were obviously looking for a long time to tie up with a major retailer, probably to address their buying power issue, but this never resulted in UK equivalent pricing and the Sainsbury's range, I suspect, had little margin for Shoprite, so they just loaded on their own mark up.

As you have said, people need to shop around.  For example, today I bought a pack of 6 ripen at home avocados from M&S for almost half the equivalent price in Tesco.  Can't remember the exact prices, but it was something like £2.50 for 6 in M&S, but has been £2.10 for 3 in Tesco. 

As for Andrea's meat (well, sausages and bacon), Shoprite stocked it but the packaging was a plastic tray with cling film which I guess doesn't come up to Tesco's standards.  Tesco does stock Manx meat, often at slightly cheaper prices than their own. 

I am not a cheerleader for Tesco, but really don't get why the gnashing of teeth at the loss of a pretty poor local food retailer. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Gladys said:

Of course it is a successful business and you could be right that prices will rise. 

However, what is the alternative?  Shoprite were obviously looking for a long time to tie up with a major retailer, probably to address their buying power issue, but this never resulted in UK equivalent pricing and the Sainsbury's range, I suspect, had little margin for Shoprite, so they just loaded on their own mark up.

As you have said, people need to shop around.  For example, today I bought a pack of 6 ripen at home avocados from M&S for almost half the equivalent price in Tesco.  Can't remember the exact prices, but it was something like £2.50 for 6 in M&S, but has been £2.10 for 3 in Tesco. 

As for Andrea's meat (well, sausages and bacon), Shoprite stocked it but the packaging was a plastic tray with cling film which I guess doesn't come up to Tesco's standards.  Tesco does stock Manx meat, often at slightly cheaper prices than their own. 

I am not a cheerleader for Tesco, but really don't get why the gnashing of teeth at the loss of a pretty poor local food retailer. 

The alternative is a retail landscape with more competition and we should have found a way to encourage other retailers here . If Tesco had not been allowed to buy an effective monopoly Aldi might have come here and set up a store in Douglas then you would see competitive pricing . 
Shoprite had many faults but it acted to keep Tesco competitive why else did they have the same prices across . It’s hardly a coincidence the minute that competition was removed prices have risen .