Tesco buy all nine Shoprite supermarkets- Monopoly?

darenisepic

11 minutes ago, IOM said:

I just don’t agree . It might have been said about Poundland in the past but they looked at it and realised if they set up Dealz they could charge out at £1.20 and it’s worked well for them . My point is Aldi plus 20% would still be a strong proposition. And it would keep Tesco  in check they would definitely not be acting in the way they are now and will likely do in the future if they are left unchecked. 

I think you said up thread "be careful what you wish for", and I think you should look in the mirror and say it again. Trust me when I say that Aldi + 20% in most cases would be more expensive than Tesco. And then we would lose all of the Aldi UK price matches in Tesco too! Spectacular own goal!

• Confused 1

7 minutes ago, IOM said:

Do you understand Aldi’s business model ? Do you know what return they make on their investments particularly in food ? The business in totality is largely a property play and they use grocery to drive cash . Any additional scale they get from new store openings helps them improve their buying terms . 

You have probably answered your own question as to why they don't come here.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, woolley said:

I think you said up thread "be careful what you wish for", and I think you should look in the mirror and say it again. Trust me when I say that Aldi + 20% in most cases would be more expensive than Tesco. And then we would lose all of the Aldi UK price matches in Tesco too! Spectacular own goal!

I get what you've been saying, and you obviously have more time to compare and watch prices than most people do, but I think if you're expecting Tesco not to exploit their near monopoly here in the long term, even to the point that you think more competition would be an "own goal", then I think you are very naive.

I think long term, the Tesco take over will not be a good thing for the island at all.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Gladys said:

It depends on their business model.  Either the IOM fits or it doesn't.

Of course it depends on their business model . Like I said their model is based on driving volume to improve buying terms. They have a large portfolio of property that drives their profitability. And of course it’s for them to decide if it fits my point is it’s the best way of securing a competitive retail market . What we have right now will certainly not provide a competitive landscape. 

1 minute ago, IOM said:

Of course it depends on their business model . Like I said their model is based on driving volume to improve buying terms. They have a large portfolio of property that drives their profitability. And of course it’s for them to decide if it fits my point is it’s the best way of securing a competitive retail market . What we have right now will certainly not provide a competitive landscape. 

So back to my earlier question, what do you want to see done about it?  Not just, "get them over', but specific steps, by who, at what cost and cost to whom? 

41 minutes ago, IOM said:

What a load of nonsense. If it really has its own laws it should be able to use them to encourage competition not prevent it ! 

Manx Law cannot change the laws of the universe or simple economics.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

14 minutes ago, woolley said:

You haven't understood anything I posted or you wouldn't be asking me to name something that's the same price here as there. Did you even read it?

There are lots of examples, and I even included some right there in the post you replied to!! All of the Aldi price matches, many of the Clubcard and multibuy deals and some others besides. Taken together, these cover a lot of items. You seem to be comparing single unit prices on the app. Have you examined the Clubcard offers on those same items of which there are many at the same price as the UK? I gave an example of this too, and here's another: Actimel 12 x immune support yoghurt drinks. £4.50 UK. £4.75 IOM, but Clubcard £3.00 in both. And another Activia 4 x Yoghurts £2.50 UK. £2.75 IOM, but Clubcard £2.00 in both. And another 500g Grapes £1.80 UK. £1.90 IOM, but Clubcard £1.50 in both. Etc, etc.

I am not "trying to claim" anything or prove a point. I am not advocating for Tesco either. I am reporting our experience on shopping the same items here and there which I hope adds some useful information as the situation unfolds. Cost of similar basket for us works out around 3% more here at the moment which is slightly up on what was the case before the Shoprite stuff happened.

Aldi price match covers around 500 products and yes the offers will likely be the same as across . But Lake Road will have between 15000-20000 products so there are a lot that will carry a premium. I rather suspect your shopping list is closely married to the Aldi price matched lines and you buy the offers . That’s fair enough but for those that buy the rest of the products it’s a completely different matter because in most cases they now carry a price premium when before the acquisition they didn’t . 

2 minutes ago, Gladys said:

So back to my earlier question, what do you want to see done about it?  Not just, "get them over', but specific steps, by who, at what cost and cost to whom? 

That’s not for me to do . The last time I looked this is a forum for sharing views ideas and opinions and that’s exactly what I am doing . I also hope my comments will encourage others to shop around surely that’s a good thing ? I have noted quite a few posters saying they did not realise prices had risen above the U.K. at Lake Road but now they do . Again isn’t that of help to the community? 

11 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

I get what you've been saying, and you obviously have more time to compare and watch prices than most people do, but I think if you're expecting Tesco not to exploit their near monopoly here in the long term, even to the point that you think more competition would be an "own goal", then I think you are very naive.

I think long term, the Tesco take over will not be a good thing for the island at all.

I certainly don't have a crystal ball. I'm mainly interpreting what is going on now. People think that Aldi is super cheap, as in @IOM believing that Aldi + 20% would be viable on the Island. It's probably to do with thinking the grass is greener on the other side, but the Aldi range is limited and the price difference would not stand a 20% uplift and still be worthwhile. They ain't THAT cheap! If we were going to have anything at all, one of the other big 4 would probably be a better bet for the consumer.

Just now, IOM said:

That’s not for me to do . The last time I looked this is a forum for sharing views ideas and opinions and that’s exactly what I am doing . I also hope my comments will encourage others to shop around surely that’s a good thing ? I have noted quite a few posters saying they did not realise prices had risen above the U.K. at Lake Road but now they do . Again isn’t that of help to the community? 

No problem at all, and I agree, people need to shop around.  But part of the debate, which you introduced, was getting Lidl and Aldi here and why don't 'they" do that without explaining who they are, how and the cost to whom. 

I think there should be a theme park here, no idea how, who will wave the magic wand or who will bear the cost.  So I know it is a futile expectation. 

1 minute ago, Gladys said:

No problem at all, and I agree, people need to shop around.  But part of the debate, which you introduced, was getting Lidl and Aldi here and why don't 'they" do that without explaining who they are, how and the cost to whom. 

I think there should be a theme park here, no idea how, who will wave the magic wand or who will bear the cost.  So I know it is a futile expectation. 

The reason I introduced Aldi because I know they really keep the big four in check on pricing . I have no certainty that they wouid come here and indeed you may be right but better to have a debate about it than do and say nothing surely ? I was faced by a barrage of nonsense from several posters several weeks ago when I introduced the issue of Tesco deviating from U.K. prices at Lake Road as if to say why are you posting all this .It’s clear that is coming true at least I have bothered to alert people to it by providing examples and showing them . The alternative is to sit on my hands and do and say nothing . And if we don’t want to share views and ideas what’s the point of the forums ? 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, woolley said:

I would suggest you look more closely at Aldi pricing right across the store not just 500 selected . An Aldi store will carry around 2500 products do a comparison of the other 2000 products . 

7 minutes ago, IOM said:

The reason I introduced Aldi because I know they really keep the big four in check on pricing . I have no certainty that they wouid come here and indeed you may be right but better to have a debate about it than do and say nothing surely ? I was faced by a barrage of nonsense from several posters several weeks ago when I introduced the issue of Tesco deviating from U.K. prices at Lake Road as if to say why are you posting all this .It’s clear that is coming true at least I have bothered to alert people to it by providing examples and showing them . The alternative is to sit on my hands and do and say nothing . And if we don’t want to share views and ideas what’s the point of the forums ? 

No, you are right, it is a debate that should be had.  I suppose my issue is that Shoprite is/was not the answer, certainly on price.  My deeper concern is that unless a business wants to come here on the commercial viability, anything to entice them will have a cost.  It is also a concern that someone in government will latch on to the idea and will champion it, regardless of cost to the taxpayer, we have seen that time and time again.  

As others have pointed out, it is not a given that even if they came, Aldi or Lidl would provide the competitive pricing you think they would. 

Either coming here stacks up commercially, or it doesn't.  That, IMHO, is the end of the debate. 

2 minutes ago, Gladys said:

No, you are right, it is a debate that should be had.  I suppose my issue is that Shoprite is/was not the answer, certainly on price.  My deeper concern is that unless a business wants to come here on the commercial viability, anything to entice them will have a cost.  It is also a concern that someone in government will latch on to the idea and will champion it, regardless of cost to the taxpayer, we have seen that time and time again.  

As others have pointed out, it is not a given that even if they came, Aldi or Lidl would provide the competitive pricing you think they would. 

Either coming here stacks up commercially, or it doesn't.  That, IMHO, is the end of the debate. 

Lots of people wanted a poundland on the Island... how's that working out. On nearly all their products they are dearer than Tesco, when they do manage to get a lower price its because the product size is smaller

• Like 1