Tesco buy all nine Shoprite supermarkets- Monopoly?

darenisepic

On 3/10/2024 at 3:47 PM, IOM said:

Are you serious ? Tesco are adding a premium of 5p-25p on the vast majority of Lake Road prices which will for sure translate to the converted stores . That’s before you add a further premium of 10-15% on for the Express stores . Tell me the advantages that brings ? They may have global reach but the only place it goes is into their profit pool currently about £2.7bn! I suspect when the conversions are complete the prices will be at or even higher than Shoprite it’s more a case of be careful what you wish for ! 

They aren't a charity.

Until the Packet changes their pricing then everything will always be 20% dearer.

See also 'building materials'

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, woolley said:

This is true, but I am told that the Manx is 10% fat whereas the Tesco is 5%, and that's why we don't buy it. If there was a lower fat product, even if it was a bit more expensive, we would.

Well each to their own. As Teapot says the fat in lamb is the flavour. 

I myself would pay a premium for 15% or more fat lamb. And marinade it with rosemary and garlic overnight prior to slamming it in the oven. Slow cooked, cannot be beaten.

Same with pork belly but substitute the rosemary with mustard.

Edited by The Voice of Reason

Until the packet changes their pricing???

Untill the Island has a road bridge to the UK.

Until we have a a tunnel.

Until we have drone delivery......................

........... we will always be an Island............???

We will always have advantages and dis-advantages

We just have to suck it up and hope that Tesco will not take advantage of this???

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

They aren't a charity.

Until the Packet changes their pricing then everything will always be 20% dearer.

See also 'building materials'

Are you comparing paving slabs with crisps?

Get real

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

They aren't a charity.

From regular experience Lake Road is about 3% more expensive than UK Tesco if you take advantage of a decent spread of Aldi price match and Clubcard offers which are exactly the same price (look back a few pages because we've been doing all of this).

Others have said 5% but nowhere near 20% apart from the isolated item.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

They aren't a charity.

So why were they able to exactly match the U.K. price at Lake Road on everything prior to the Shoprite acquisition? They were paying the freight costs then . 

7 minutes ago, IOM said:

So why were they able to exactly match the U.K. price at Lake Road on everything prior to the Shoprite acquisition? They were paying the freight costs then . 

They didn’t. Not on everything. There were always exceptions. And there isn’t a UK wide price, not even a GB wide price. There are pricing differences in Northern Ireland and Scotland when compared to England ( I don’t know about Wales ).